MMO Marvel Mystery oil Brings down Piper Aircraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is retarded. It's obvious the ratio of MMO to fuel was INCORRECT.

That being said I don't use MMO never have, never will. Well maybe not...my dad swore by it.

However the MMO was not at fault here. The person who put it in the fuel tank was at fault.

"The contents of Marvel Mystery Oil were 74 percent mineral oil, 25 percent stoddard solvent, and 1 percent lard."

Where in the heck did the "lard" come from?

Lucky pilot.

It appears MMO doesn't like leaded avgas. It's worked fine in my Buick's unleaded 87 octane gas for the past 35k miles...

Assuming the tank was half full at each refill that's 36:1 mmo to gas. That's nuts.

I loathe MMO, but this wasn't their fault. That gas to oil ratio would choke a lot of 2 cycle engines, not to speak of a 4 cycle.

First I've heard of lard. Now that the mystery is out, who will be blending their own?

Last edited:
They should substitute the lard for sheep squeezins. Of course, the car and oil companies would never want such a technology to get out. Cars would never age and the oil would never need to be changed. Not to mention gas companies would go out of business if every car started getting 1000 miles to the gallon.

Quote:
An empty 1 gallon can of Marvel Mystery Oil was found in the operator's trash

Sounds like somebody has been using the old "if a little is good then more must be better" theory.

Last edited:
To be fair, you have to remember that this is an NTSB report which is a joke of an agency. How can you take an article seriously that states that "The contents of Marvel Mystery Oil were 74 percent mineral oil, 25 percent stoddard solvent, and 1 percent lard"? That's so comical- the NTSB and other executive agencies are filled with liberal arts degree idiots who couldn't find a job in art history. Go figure.

-Tech

so if i mix a gallon of mobil 1 into my gas tank and my car crashes we can attribute this to mobil 1 being a terrible and dangerous product?

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
May want to think twice about using MMO..

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief2.asp?ev_id=20020916X01610&ntsbno=NYC02LA181&akey=1

It makes me think twice about a gallon of MMO to my fuel tank. Though I'd never thought once about doing so. I prefer a 4-5 ounce dosing in each tank, to yield something closer to Marvel's recommendation.

If you can show me on their site where they recommend adding it by the gallon, then I'll concede you have a point.

-Spyder

Originally Posted By: Trav
Quote:
An empty 1 gallon can of Marvel Mystery Oil was found in the operator's trash

Sounds like somebody has been using the old "if a little is good then more must be better" theory.

It said he added 1 quart an 18 gallon fuel tank. So 72:1 instead of the recommended 100:1

(An empty one gallon jug was found in the trash)

As a pilot I can assure you that the NTSB does a thorough investigation of all aviation accident. Any criticism of the agency in this area is unfounded

Last edited:
Your math is off. Marvel recommends 4 ounces to every 10 gallons of fuel. If he added a quart to 18 gallons, then he added more than 4x the recommended dosage.

-Spyder

A perfect example of not following directions. No one claims they added it, interesting
21.gif
. For it to color the fuel red it had to be one heck of a dose Oh well.........

Originally Posted By: Lethal1ty17
so if i mix a gallon of mobil 1 into my gas tank and my car crashes we can attribute this to mobil 1 being a terrible and dangerous product?

Or worse, how about some of the site Favorite oils like PP or SSO? That would be even worse wouldn't it?

Nothing wrong with MMO.

Almost every issue I've come across in life can be attributed to "user error."

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
A perfect example of not following directions. No one claims they added it, interesting
21.gif
. For it to color the fuel pink/red it had to be one heck of a dose. Oh well.........If the pilot added it, you'd think a guy smart enough to fly a plane could read directions.

Originally Posted By: Lethal1ty17

Or worse, how about some of the site Favorite oils like PP or SSO? That would be even worse wouldn't it?

Originally Posted By: Spyder7
Your math is off. Marvel recommends 4 ounces to every 10 gallons of fuel. If he added a quart to 18 gallons, then he added more than 4x the recommended dosage.

-Spyder

From Article:

"Instructions found on the can stated that the correct ratio for mixing with fuel was 1 part additive to 100 parts fuel."

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
21.gif
. For it to color the fuel red it had to be one heck of a dose Oh well.........

Manager knew it had been added: "In a telephone interview, the pilot reported that the manager of Aerial Signs told him that the oil had been added"

Did the manager add it? He said it was added, not but didn't mention who added it. I read it fast got the impression that no one was sure who added it?

Confusion came from here: "The Manager of Aerial Signs reported that he had told his pilots to not use Marvel Mystery Oil any more. In addition, he talked to the mechanics, and they had not added it and the pilot reported that he had not added it".

I'm sure it was added, and positive no one followed directions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back