Thinking about a 29er

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
My old KHS 26" hardtail has a 21" frame and is a bit small for me. Im thinking about upgrading to a 29er. Not looking to spend more than $3k, but I have a fairly high/flexible budget to get the best value item. Not the best rider or a racer, but I want a quality bike that I can improve into. I do technical stuff, lots of sandy hills with roots/steps, lots of trees, small jumps up/down, etc. Lots of sand and light dirt, gets everywhere. Lots of opportunity for the frames to flex, some pretty steep stuff, etc.

A 29er will have better frame geometry for me (6ft4ish, 250#) and will help me to get over more stuff without stalling.

Im looking at specialized epic comp, maybe some cannondale, and anything else. Any other 29er owners here? Wahat do you ride? Any recommendations?

You should ask on MTBR.com. That is where the mtn bike geeks live and it is an even bigger, more active, and geekier (in a good way) site than BITOG.

At your weight and size:

Pivot Mach 429 (racey/fast/firm/stiff)
Turner Sultan (stiff/more plush, very stable)
Specialized Epic (not bad and a great racer, but look at the Stumpjumper FS). If racing XC, the Epic is great.
Lenz Leviathan (single pivot but fast and pretty durable).
Ventana El Rey (very stiff, no mud issues)
Cannondale- avoid
Gary Fisher- avoid

I have owned a ton of bikes and am all 29er now, but register and ask on MTBR.com. Research the threads there too- this topic has been discussed hundreds of times. I go through 2-3 bikes a year...for fun only.

I did my best to resist, since it just seemed like such a bandwagon thing. After borrowing one for a while, I was sold. It feels almost like riding a 4" travel bike but without the weight or complexity.

I ended up getting a Gunnar Rock Hound 29'er frame with a Reba Race fork. While building it yourself is a little more expensive, you should still be able to get in under 3K with a nice build, and you can pick the parts you want.

I'm not really a 'retro' guy, but I love the steel frame on the Gunnar. It's surprisingly stiff, yet still compliant. I hate even typing that, since I feel like I'm writing ad copy--but it's true!

At your size, you may want to consider going QR15 up front. It really seems to stiffen up things.

I'm also 6'4" and 250 pounds. I bought an 08 Stumpjumper FSR 29er and I love it. I did break the frame after having the bike for 22 months. Specialized sent me a new one in less than two weeks. The terrain I ride on Long Island sounds just like what you are describing.

Im not racing/planning to race, but the specialized epic seems to offer some benefit in that the rear suspension is pretty smart and allows for good climbing. Im not opposed to a hardtail, and it seems that weights are lower on hardtails, which is always nice.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
I'm sorta itching to get one myself. As an avid cyclist, its hard to resist these things. Everyone I know who has one, likes it.

Ive noted that a friend who I ride with, who used to only be able to do a few things better now can doa lot of things better, and rolls better overall... he got a 29er and loves it.

www.mtbnj.com -- great site.
www.jorba.org -- the local mtb advocacy org

I have a hardtail.

Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er.

soon to be upgraded to 2011 X7 rear derailleur, SRAM XG-999 cassette and 2009 or 2010 X7 triggers...

I know a lot of people whom compete on their 26" FS, then buy a 29-er HT, and end up liking the 29-er more.

If you can wait until next year, check out JORBA-Fest. There would be some companies out there demo-ing bikes.

Originally Posted By: NYEngineer
I'm also 6'4" and 250 pounds. I bought an 08 Stumpjumper FSR 29er and I love it. I did break the frame after having the bike for 22 months. Specialized sent me a new one in less than two weeks. The terrain I ride on Long Island sounds just like what you are describing.

How do you find the 29" wheels and fork? Flexy? From what I've read either they are heavier or more flexible.
Maybe it boils down to your riding preference, rolling stuff vs dropping, arcing turns vs squaring them off?

I was on 26ers for years. My last one was an Ibis Mojo. Before that I had Turner Spot. All it took was one ride on a Moots Softail and the Ibis was sold. Since then, I have moved to full-suspension 29ers, though I have a single-speed HT 29er as well.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Originally Posted By: NYEngineer

How do you find the 29" wheels and fork? Flexy? From what I've read either they are heavier or more flexible.
Maybe it boils down to your riding preference, rolling stuff vs dropping, arcing turns vs squaring them off?

The only problem I had with the wheels was popping the spokes out of the alloy nipples the bike came with. I knew that was going to be a problem because of my weight. I relaced the wheels with heavier spokes and brass nipples.
Now that I have suitable spokes for my weight, no problems whatsoever. The Reba fork is also plenty stiff.
I would also suggest swapping the headset that comes on the bike with a Cane Creek 110 and getting rid of the Specialized stem. It has a tapered shim around the steerer tube to tweak the angle and it's a creaker. I swapped mine with a Thomson and now it's quiet. After the stock tires wear out, go to something with a little more volume. I like Maxxis Ardents. Floats the bike over soft stuff a little better.

1. Surly Karate Monkey ($)

1.5 Van Dessel [censored] ($+)

2. Salsa...anything! Or Niner, scandium! ($$-$$$)

3. Soulcraft Holy Roller ($$$+)

4. Titus or Moots...several offerings ($$$$+!)

I'd personally stay away from aluminum, aluminum is for beer cans. Scandium is a much, much better frame material.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back