Heatwave now. Best oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like we have a heatwave on our hands, brothers. What's your pick for the best oil to use in this Torrid weather? Me, I like Castrol HD-30 monograde, Chevron Delo 400 15w-40, Castrol GTX 20w-50 dino, Schaeffer Supreme 7000 20w-50 blend.

Just follow what your manual states and put it in.
cheers.gif

I just got back from a 2000 mile trip across UT/NV/CA with temps ABOVE 112 most of the time with no problems in my 4 cyl engine running Castrol GTX 5w-30.

This was durning the day running 3000 rpm at 75 mph loaded for hours at a time.

No worries at all. I've been doing the same for decades and todays conventional oils are much better than 10,20 or 30 years ago.

One of my cars(sister in law drives it now) is sooo close to 300k with nothing but timing belts done. Still runs excellent and passes smog with ease.

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Today's Dinos are incredible. I seem to still be running synth most of the time out of habit, rather than any objective evidence.

I would be interested in knowing if synthetic is worth my purchase for the next vehicle? It will be a Nissan 350z sports coupe...I normally do city driving...it could change to hwy in a few years, when I transfer to a state university...but will dino oil protect just as well as synthetic? Assuming I change it every 5k with a quality oil filter?

I ask this question...becuz people do say today's dino oils perform exceptionally well compared to older generations...and Havoline (good dino oil) can be picked up for so cheap...I'm just wondering if it's even worth my money to switch to synthetic? I personally don't mind changing the oil every 5k...most people run 10k on synthetic...and I just wouldn't wait that long

quote:

Originally posted by Flimflam:
Looks like we have a heatwave on our hands, brothers.

Well...for Texas it's just normal summer weather. As Bill stated, "Just follow what your manual states and put it in."

quote:

Originally posted by 427Z06:

quote:

Well...for Texas it's just normal summer weather. As Bill stated, "Just follow what your manual states and put it in."

Owners manual tells me to use 9cst(5w20)blend but the local weekend radio mechanic says to use 11cst(10w30)full synthetic.

Do you think 11cst blend is a good compromise?

If your engine is thermostatically cooled to run at 190-210(approx)what difference would outside ambient temperature make to the oil that you are running ? I could understand a couple of degrees difference (in hot weather) higher due to radiant heating but not enough to run different oil viscosities.

I drove around in 101 degree heat yesterday at 70 mph, up the mountains, got stuck in a jam for 15 minutes, and the oil temp never went over 212F. The electric auxiliary fan came on only in the jam. Right now I got DELO 15W-40 in the engine.

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:
I drove around in 101 degree heat yesterday at 70 mph, up the mountains, got stuck in a jam for 15 minutes, and the oil temp never went over 212F. The electric auxiliary fan came on only in the jam. Right now I got DELO 15W-40 in the engine.

I'm thinking if you had the A/C on, the electric fans should have ALREADY been on at high speed.
shocked.gif

quote:

Originally posted by jorton:

quote:

Originally posted by 427Z06:

quote:

Owners manual tells me to use 9cst(5w20)blend but the local weekend radio mechanic says to use 11cst(10w30)full synthetic.

Do you think 11cst blend is a good compromise?

If you want more insurance, use better oil, not thicker oil. Keep in mind that SM/GF-4 oils have to pass the Sequence IIIG test where the oil is kept at 150°C(302°F) at 75% power for 100 hours.

quote:

I'm thinking if you had the A/C on, the electric fans should have ALREADY been on at high speed.

My car has one viscous clutch-driven main fan and one electric aux fan. The aux fan comes on when the main fan doesn't manage by itself, or automatically whenever the A/C is on. The A/C was not on at any time.

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:

Nice oil temps. What car and what type of oil cooler?

The thermostat controls the coolant, NOT the oil temps.
Oil temps are hotter in summer than winter. Just put your hand on the oil pan in Winter after a good drive, and try and do it in the Summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back