Hotmail hacked sending garbage to my contacts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
How does this happen & how can I resolve the problem. I have had this hotmail account for 15 yrswith never a problem. I have changed my password & security question. Mailings have stopped(I think) but I am afraid to use it an not PC savy enough to deal with this. I have alternate mail but use hotmail more widely. I have been to the windows help center and I see many with the same exact problem as I. I have corrosponded to hotmail and put up my issue along with the others on the forum. threads go up fast many a minute and reponses are not helpful.

Are you sure hotmail is actually sending the e-mail to your contacts? If someone hijacked your contacts, they can easily send to your contacts with "hotmail.com" as the domain; there is no enforcement on the correctness of the "From:" address and it is up to the receiving server to decide whether to allow it.

You should try to post a message header, scrubbed of course, from one of your contacts received messages

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: willix
How does this happen & how can I resolve the problem. I have had this hotmail account for 15 yrswith never a problem. I have changed my password & security question. Mailings have stopped(I think) but I am afraid to use it an not PC savy enough to deal with this. I have alternate mail but use hotmail more widely. I have been to the windows help center and I see many with the same exact problem as I. I have corrosponded to hotmail and put up my issue along with the others on the forum. threads go up fast many a minute and reponses are not helpful.

Someone guessed your password or got it from another system somewhere that you use the same password. Changing your password will stop the emails because the hackers can't get into your account any more. But they may have pulled in your contact list and could be sending them spam from other accounts. There's a CNN article today detailing how some security people are recommending 12 character passwords as a minimum standard. I think it's a good idea, and you should never use the same password for 2 sites. Hard to remember? At first, yes. My system is I make up a sentence that's easy to remember and then use the first letter of each word to make a password. All you have to remember is the sentence, and it can be something simple like "I have two kids named Bertha and Dale and they were born three years apart," so your password would be ihtknbadatwbtya. Much more secure and you'll get the hang of it more quickly than you think.

They are sending these mailings "from me" my hotmail address. I have changed up the password from 4 letters to 8 letters & numbers & security question. Its a russian website that the security detects problems with. My brother & contacts on my list that has 46 addresses on it have e-mailed me about this yesterday for the first time & I counted 2 dozen i my sent folder & onother 30 mailings the were returned undeliverable some more than once. Many of the addresses returned are very old & most likely inactive. I have already posted a header warning in place of my name

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: willix
They are sending these mailings "from me" my hotmail address. I have changed up the password from 4 letters to 8 letters & numbers & security question. Its a russian website that the security detects problems with. My brother & contacts on my list that has 46 addresses on it have e-mailed me about this yesterday for the first time & I counted 2 dozen i my sent folder & onother 30 mailings the were returned undeliverable some more than once. Many of the addresses returned are very old & most likely inactive. I have already posted a header warning in place of my name

Mine was hacked a few months back, a true PITA. Set up a new password and security question from a different PC, make sure that the alternate email address you set up is yours and not someone elses. Then run a complete virus scan, spyware scan, and any other system checks you can think of. At that point you should be safe.

I've known 2-people so far who have had Hotmail hacked,I'm not sure I'd keep using Hotmail if it was me.

Tons of people using hotmail are getting hacked,just FYI.

It happens to lots of companies... It happened to me with a cryptic password on a not very well known company (Runbox) and then again on GMAIL a few years later. (Different computer then so it wasn't my fault)

that happens to my account, my guess is that it is from the Facebook Friend Finder or they guessed my old password (numeric only no alphabet).

Put yourself (maybe a different address) in your address book, always! Then if you get hacked, doesn't matter POP or webmail or phone or whatever, you'll find out faster.

Resist the urge for social engineering, if you get an angry email alleging you emailed/ripped off that person, if you reply, they know your address is valid.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Put yourself (maybe a different address) in your address book, always! Then if you get hacked, doesn't matter POP or webmail or phone or whatever, you'll find out faster.

Resist the urge for social engineering, if you get an angry email alleging you emailed/ripped off that person, if you reply, they know your address is valid.

A friend of ours recently back from England just experienced having requests for money sent to everyone on her email list. The emails said she had been pick-pocketed, had no money to pay he hotel bill, hotel wouldn't give her her passport without paying her bill etc and asked each person to send her money.

Her's was a Yahoo email account but it doesn't really matter where the account is. She probably gave up her account name and password to key logger software on one of the public computers she used to check her email while on travel. They also changed her password so she couldn't get into her own account.

Let that be a lesson to never check a bank account on a public computer. email is bad enough.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

Good idea.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
that happens to my account, my guess is that it is from the Facebook Friend Finder or they guessed my old password (numeric only no alphabet).

This happened pretty much right after I posted a car ad on Oodle "free" classifieds that defaults to my facebook account signin that I rarely visit. So I never actually registered on Oodle classifieds. I guess some thought needs ti be given to sign up for anything.

Last edited:
My brother told me a few months ago he got a spam email from me. I changed my password and everything seems to be okay now.

Mr. Rizzo,

You're coo-coo. That's really alot to be remembering. I don't even know if I know enough sentences for all the websites I'm a member at. ITs not really alot, but since my memory isn't up to par with yours' I just use the same ole' screename and password I've been using for 10 years. I haven't owned a Z28 since 02-03.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back