Any Unbuntu Server guys here - need some basic advice

In RHEL and its derivatives, not only is root enabled, and the only user present after a cloud-based installation; but is even enabled, **if** I recall correctly, for ssh logins.

clint-eastwood-gross.gif

You can configure sudo to allow a user only to run certain commands as root; so the assertion if a person has sudo they have root is a bit misleading They have root (shell) if it is configured that way; If you want a user to have the ability to reboot a machine (init 6) sudo can be configured to only allow that command

At one point in my life i was a huge linux lover, from redhat, fedora, LFS, ubuntu, my last favorite was mint cinnamon still the main OS on my desktop.
ive long gotten out of that work and now i use a macbook. it's still kinda a *nix os. and i'm happy with it.
I quit running servers, building websites. just over it. most of what i knew is long gone now. sadly.
Have a small cent home file server and firewall headless here at the house that i will sometime fire a a CS:S server on. else that about it.
thank you for the posts and memories, see i even forgot sudo, I said SU. I knew it was there somewhere.

At one point in my life i was a huge linux lover, from redhat, fedora, LFS, ubuntu, my last favorite was mint cinnamon still the main OS on my desktop.
ive long gotten out of that work and now i use a macbook. it's still kinda a *nix os. and i'm happy with it.
I quit running servers, building websites. just over it. most of what i knew is long gone now. sadly.
Have a small cent home file server and firewall headless here at the house that i will sometime fire a a CS:S server on. else that about it.
thank you for the posts and memories, see i even forgot sudo, I said SU. I knew it was there somewhere.
I have an old laptop I keep meaning to install mint cinnamon on to try out. I bought a macbook and it just works with my other icloud stuff.

+1 for Mint on the older laptop. I use Mint Cinnamon on a 10 year old Toshiba Satellite laptop and it works great. I had to replace the battery, it was completely dead and would not take a charge but the laptop still worked when plugged in to the wall charger. I got a new battery from Amazon for $20.00 and it works fine. The laptop originally had only 4 gb of RAM and even though Mint ran OK on it, I added an 8 gb stick and now I have about 10.5 gb of useable memory. That made this Toshiba run like a brand new modern machine. It had Windows 8.1 on it to begin with but I removed Windows when I installed Mint and now this old Toshiba is my daily driver. I don't miss Windows at all and really don't see myself going back to Windows anytime soon.

+1 for Mint on the older laptop. I use Mint Cinnamon on a 10 year old Toshiba Satellite laptop and it works great. I had to replace the battery, it was completely dead and would not take a charge but the laptop still worked when plugged in to the wall charger. I got a new battery from Amazon for $20.00 and it works fine. The laptop originally had only 4 gb of RAM and even though Mint ran OK on it, I added an 8 gb stick and now I have about 10.5 gb of useable memory. That made this Toshiba run like a brand new modern machine. It had Windows 8.1 on it to begin with but I removed Windows when I installed Mint and now this old Toshiba is my daily driver. I don't miss Windows at all and really don't see myself going back to Windows anytime soon.
And if anyone ever has a low-spec machine they'd like to extend the life of, use the MATE edition (and it doesn't have to be Mint; MATE is available in all major distros) or XFCE (same) instead of Cinnamon, Gnome, KDE, etc. Not only will general resource requirements be much lower but neither of those desktops require fancy whiz-bang 3D graphics.

Back