A question about Magnetic sump plugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be doing an oil change today and sending off some oil for analysis, been doing so for the last 25,000 miles. Heres a thread with a report way back:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1255570&page=1

I've been thinking of using a megnetic sump plug, but realsied that the ferrous magent types arent terribly strong, neodynam would be beter. An old hard disk died on me a few months back and i removed the 2 neodynam magents from it. I'll attach one to the back of the sump plug and the other to the base of the sump plate next to the plug.

So heres my question/problem:
If you look at the link above, you'll see that there is a fair bit of zinc, magnesium, boron and calcium......... my understanding is these are oil additives. If so, wont they be attracted to and held by the magnet, as well as the harmfull wear metals, instead of circulating round the engine doing whatever (protective) thing they do?

I've actually done a further 3 oil analysis' since the above post, heres a link to the latest report:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/jgng2nimunq/BMW 330Ci Oil analysis.PDF

Yes, they will be attracted to it. But those metals are apart of molecules that will easily attach themselves to anything metal, they are polar, and are microscopic in size and liquid. They flow.

It is the larger particles that you will be able to remove with magnets. Smaller than what most oil filters catch, large enough to look like dust/sludge when you pull the magnet off.

They do make high temp neodymium magnets for cars and trucks. I use a few on multiple vehicles. Do they work? Yes, they collect stuff. Can I tell a before/after difference? Not really.

But what else are you going to do with your magnets?

The metals small enough to be used as an additive, or those that get seen in a UOA won't get picked up by the magnet.

I put one on my oil filters, and don't catch as much as I've seen in pictures.

But, hard drive magnets are free.

The main magnetic metals are iron, nickel and cobalt.

You will see a difference in collection of Iron particles which will be the main wear metal anyway (or should be).

I would put the magnet on the oil filter before the oil pan or plug.

I'll throw a magnet in the sump when a engine is breaking in, after that I see no real benefit from it. Perhaps in a racing application.

Better off saving it for the trans, I have a couple in the diffs as well.

They hold up to heat well, it's very rapid heat/cool cycles that will destroy them. Not usually an issue when its in the oil.

Zinc, magnesium, boron and calcium are not magnetic and will not stick to the magnet.

I thought about doing this once before using some unbelievably strong NIB-type magnets I got from a very large hard drive actuator assembly. The idea was to put them as near as possible to the drain plug and then remove them before draining the oil so any gunk would flow out while draining the oil. Then put them back before refilling so they don't get stirred up as new oil gets poured in. If you attach one (securely!) to the inside of the sump, it may not collect much over time and could be left there indefinitely.

It could work by putting the magnet on the oil filter as well, but the magnetic force will be reduced by going through the ferrous oil filter can. An iron core magnet may not be strong enough, but the rare earth magnets, including neodymium-iron-boron (NIB) types as you mentioned, may be strong enough to pass through with enough remaining force to attract magnetic particles.

You can buy some small NIB-type disc magnets online or at scientific or industrial supply stores and maybe a magic store. If you can find one that fits on the end of the drain plug and stays there securely, you will be able to see at oil change time just how much gook accumulates per OCI.

Or you could just attach them to your fuel line and watch your mileage go through the roof! Combined with one of those turbonator things, you'll get such awesome mileage you may have to drain all the excess gas out of the tank once a week or so.

I have long wondered if the filtermag i use is collecting additives. I feel better now.

Originally Posted By: oz_striker
I've been thinking of using a megnetic sump plug, but realsied that the ferrous magent types arent terribly strong, neodynam would be beter. An old hard disk died on me a few months back and i removed the 2 neodynam magents from it. I'll attach one to the back of the sump plug and the other to the base of the sump plate next to the plug.

So heres my question/problem:
If you look at the link above, you'll see that there is a fair bit of zinc, magnesium, boron and calcium......... my understanding is these are oil additives. If so, wont they be attracted to and held by the magnet, as well as the harmfull wear metals, instead of circulating round the engine doing whatever (protective) thing they do?

1--The additives do not have any of these elements in metallic form. They are all in liquid compounds.

2--As explained above, even if they were in metallic form, they won't stick to a magnet.

I have had neobium magnets on my drain plugs for years. They always have some extremely fine iron or steel particles on them. These get wiped off at each oil change, and new particles are back for the next oil change.

Well i attached my magnets but they just didnt want to stick very strongly to the sump base (aluminium?), but stuck on like glue to the back of the sump plug!! Looking forward to see if it results in any change in my next oil analysis.

Originally Posted By: gomes512
Better off saving it for the trans, I have a couple in the diffs as well.

They hold up to heat well, it's very rapid heat/cool cycles that will destroy them. Not usually an issue when its in the oil

So you just attach them to a lower portion of the gearbox and diff?

I assume then if attached to gearbox & Diff, after a certain period of time as they lose their magnetism due to the heat they'll just fall off.

Unless you can access the inside of whatever you are attaching the magnet to, like say a oil pan, trans case, etc....I don't see the point. Why? Because you'll have a lump of crud just stuck there that you can't clean up unless you access the inside of that part or component. Stick to magnetic drain plugs and the magnets you stick on the oil filter...they work and won't harbor a inaccessible festering pile of goop

I put 4 NIB-type bar magnets on my oil filter and ensure they stay there with a hose clamp. I just cut a filter apart and could see the magnet shape (faintly) on the inside of the filter can. Not much wear. I use AMSOIL 0W-20. Engine is 2009 3.5 L Ford with 33k on the odometer.

Where magnets are really useful are in unfiltered sumps like diffs, transfer cases, and small engine sumps like lawnmowers and dirtbikes. I got a bunch of neodymium magnets and I stick one to the outside of the drain plug of every such sump on my vehicles. The magnetism is conducted through it and usually there is a gob of grey filings on the inside end of the drain plug after you pull it. Makes it really easy to clean too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back