Changing gear lube on '99 F350

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently picked up a '99 F350 for a plow truck and have been changing the drivetrain fluids. This past weekend I did the rear differential, which is the Sterling 10.5" with 3.73 gears and a traction-lock. Ford says the 75w140 does not need to be changed unless the axle is submerged in water...I thought after 80,000 miles a change was in order. The oil looked pretty rough, and there was plenty of metallic paste (show in picture) on the fill plug and speed sensor. I collected a sample of the oil and sent it off for a UOA yesterday, I will share the results when available.

IMG_0158.jpg

IMG_0156.jpg

I also discovered that the differential cover was nearly rusted through. It looks like it got damaged at some point (hit a curb?) and rust started where the paint was missing. I ordered a “Rock Crusher” cover on ebay motors for $75 shipped; overkill for what I'm doing but it shouldn't rust out anytime soon.
grin2.gif

IMG_0163.jpg

Given the amount of crud in the axle housing I decided to refill it with "leftover" gear oil that I had sitting around the shop and drive the truck back and forth to work for a few days. I will use that gear oil as a “flush” and change it out with 75w140 next weekend. After looking at the local auto parts stores, I may have to order the 75w140; it seems that no one stocks more than a quart or two.

Yes, it was time for a change. That was a good deal on the Rockcrusher cover. What gear oil are you going to use, Amsoil, Red Line, Schaeffer's, or TRC?

Hi Johnny - I haven't decided on the next gear oil. I have a pail of TRC Moly 80w90 and a few gallons of 85w140, but I would like to stick with the 75w140 viscosity. This truck will be used in below zero weather for plowing and also see some summer towing. One of the NAPA stores near me has some AMSOIL products, I will probably call and see if they have any 75w140 in stock.

Hounddog - The oil pan is in excellent shape, but the transmission pan could use some paint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back