single vs. two stage snowblower - who has had both

Status
Not open for further replies.
my 10 yo two stage self-destructed (the auger ate the housing - $300+ in parts to fix) so.... single stage or two stage? my two stage has been nice, but its also a work-out and the wife cant use it.

I've had both. A single stage Toro and a 2-stg MTD. They both throw snow well for me, it's just the wider, taller 2-stg machine takes fewer passes to get the job done than the smaller single stage. For smaller areas you can't go wrong with a nice light single stage Toro, Honda or other quality machine.

Joel

Most little two stroke, single stage blowers are fine if you get out and get at it. They're not the best for 10+ inches of snow. That being said, Toro's little/medium two strokes are known to plow right through 8 - 10 inches of snow if it's not packed down or half melted. If you go cheaper than Toro or one of the four stroke Honda single stagers, you will regret it as you have to shop for yet another blower in a couple years or less (maybe much less).

I guess thats a decent endorsement for the honda or toro - which were my only choices for a single stage. thx! maybe I'll try to piece back together the old 2 stage for the really bad days. anyone have an auger for a craftsman 928 ?

I am a 2 cycle snowblower fan. They are lighter and have a better power to weight ratio than 4 cycle snowblowers. The one I own, is a used 6 year old, Toro CCR3000. It has a 5HP, SUZUKI engine, can be picked up and stored on a wall hook and is good for up to 10-11 inches of snow. Your wife will love it. You can even put a red bow on it as a gift.

One step above this is a used Toro Powermax 6000 or Toro 726TE. These are 2 stage, 2 cycle snowblowers with R Tek engine. Weighs about 200 lbs. Not in production anymore so hunt around craigslist and ebay.

If EOD (end of driveway) plow pile is a big thing in your area, you'll probably want a two-stage. When you have a large snowfall what kind of snow is it - fluffy or heavy?

This is the conundrum of my area. Our typical snowfall amount doesn't warrant a two stage (with exceptions, of course, both in terms of individual storms and heavy snowfall years) but any heavy snowfall we get is always some kind of Colorado low, or Nor'easter or some other event which dumps snow, ice pellets, freezing rain and rain on us. This is then immediately followed by the salters, then the plows. We have virtually NEVER received a deep, fluffy snowfall like many other areas you'll receive advice from.

On my street there used to be some folks with high quality single stage units (Toros and Hondas) but they'd have trouble with EOD sometimes. I *think* all of those people have switched to two stage machines now as I don't hear any of the distinctive two-stroke motors running any more when we're out clearing snow in the dark.

If you typically get fluffy snow or your wet snow is limited in depth or frequency then a single stage might be right for you. A lot of them are really quite effective even against the heavy stuff. It just seemed to me with the type of snow when I most needed a machine I couldn't simply get a single stage. OTOH these events weren't occurring often enough to warrant shelling out the bucks for a good two stage machine. Luckily my dad decided he didn't need his 1986 Toro any more a couple of years back. It out throws everything on the street thanks to a Clarence impeller kit (google it) and some routine tuneup/restoration work.

I've had both and my current and favorite blower is my single state Honda. Drive is double wide, over 60 feet long and in the past two years the WI winters have put nothing down that this blower won't remove. It will clear as fast as I want to walk.

I think single stage blowers have come a long way since I was a kid......we had a single stage Toro when I was a kid (1980's) and on several occasions, the winters in N.E. Ohio made it bog down regularly.

Last winter I saw a single stage (not sure of the brand) in front of a Home Depot throwing snow quite impressively!

Singles certainly are lighter, handier and more maneuverable.

I like my 2-stage Ariens Sno-Thro. Built like a tank and strong like a bull.....my wife is able to run it just fine, and I don't fear anything mother nature throws at me.

It all depends on what you're looking for, I guess.....

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
I guess thats a decent endorsement for the honda or toro - which were my only choices for a single stage. thx! maybe I'll try to piece back together the old 2 stage for the really bad days. anyone have an auger for a craftsman 928 ?

Visit some scrap yards. You'll be amazed with what people throw out. I was buying some flat bar at the scrap yard a few months ago and walked through a section that held lawn mowers, snow blowers and other discarded OPE. There were a couple very similar Toro machines in yard that, to me, looked to have enough parts to make one very nice machine. There's a good chance that you can find parts to repair your machine or possibly put another machine together for dirt cheap.

I've got to know, boraticus, what is the destiny for all those discarded OPE machines?
54.gif

Originally Posted By: Craig in Canada
If EOD (end of driveway) plow pile is a big thing in your area, you'll probably want a two-stage. When you have a large snowfall what kind of snow is it - fluffy or heavy?

This is the conundrum of my area. Our typical snowfall amount doesn't warrant a two stage (with exceptions, of course, both in terms of individual storms and heavy snowfall years) but any heavy snowfall we get is always some kind of Colorado low, or Nor'easter or some other event which dumps snow, ice pellets, freezing rain and rain on us. This is then immediately followed by the salters, then the plows. We have virtually NEVER received a deep, fluffy snowfall like many other areas you'll receive advice from.

Same here...I found the typical smaller single stages good for a lighter snow, but a good heavy, wet snow or sleet; and they really struggle compared to a two stage.

Now the bigger tractor-mounted single stages are pretty good...I've seen quite a few JD versions that work well, and as good as any two stage in moderate snow. But a true two stage is the only way to go in heavy deep snow...and that's mainly because these usually have a lot more HP running them.

I have a Toro CCR 2450 single stage blower that did yeoman's work this last winter where the Baltimore area had a record snowfall. That is not to recommend a single stage blower if you get heavy snow all the time, but it can handle an occasional load if you use it wisely.

As others have pointed out, it will not move heavy wet snow well, but you can easily move up to a foot of light powdery snow. The single stage is easy to maneuver and stores just alike a lawnmower would.

The key to dealing with extended snowfalls with a single stage machine is to periodically remove snow before it gets high. It means a little more work, but that is offset by the fact the single stage machine is lighter and easier to use.

The Toro machine uses a 50:1 gas/oil mix like my other OPE, so that is a plus. I don't need to keep multiple containers of different ratio 2 cycle mix around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back