G-Oil 100% Bio

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone familiar with this?
It's 100% bio-oil. Thinking of using in my DI motor.

5W30 G oil

Don't have data on 5W30 but here's 10W30:

Data sheet 10W30

More: FAQS

2-CYCLE-GRAPH-600.jpg

Last edited:
From their website: "We blend nature's American grown base oils (domestically sourced beef tallow) with nanotechnology to provide superior performance protection...". Might be good, all other bio oils I've seen have come from vegetable oil stocks. Doesn't talk much about their additive package.

I've had good results with the Renewable Lubricants biosynthetics, haven't tried any others.

Originally Posted By: lewdwig
From their website: "We blend nature's American grown base oils (domestically sourced beef tallow) with nanotechnology to provide superior performance protection...". Might be good, all other bio oils I've seen have come from vegetable oil stocks. Doesn't talk much about their additive package.

I've had good results with the Renewable Lubricants biosynthetics, haven't tried any others.

It's API SM approved

G-OIL™ SAE 5W-30 is the World's First Bio-Based Motor Oil to Achieve American Petroleum Institutes' Highly Coveted 'SM' Certification

STAMFORD, Conn., March 10 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Green Earth Technologies (Pink Sheets: GETG - News) announced today that they have been granted the "Donut," an API Service Symbol for the SAE 5W-30 weight of their green motor oil, G-OIL™. G-OIL ultimate biodegradable green motor oils met and passed all the engine test criteria for The American Petroleum Institute (API) SM Certification back in November, becoming the first and only bio-based motor oil to receive such distinguished honors. Now, receiving the official Service Symbol from the American Petroleum Institute, Green Earth Technologies will utilize the "Donut" on their product packaging and ship G-OIL to stores nationwide in the upcoming months.

"It's been almost two years in the making and a true team effort, but I am happy to say that G-OIL motor oil is finally ready for retail," says Jeffrey Loch, Co-founder and Chief Marketing Officer for Green Earth Technologies. "We are very appreciative that the American Petroleum Institute is officially standing behind our first motor oil weight to market (5W-30), allowing our retail customers to stock as well as our consumers to purchase with confidence."

Consumers are encouraged to look for the API certification mark when buying engine oil and will now have an eco-friendly motor oil to choose from when making these purchasing decisions. API Certification is the third party endorsement that provides "peace of mind" to both retailers and consumers, who, when choosing to do their part, can rest assure that G-OIL is the environmentally safe "green" solution to current conventional motor oils. API's Service Symbol identifies quality engine oils that meet performance requirements.

"Green Earth Technologies has certified to API that SAE 5W-30 G-OIL meets the requirements for API SM, the latest API gasoline engine oil performance specification. Based on this certification, API is pleased to license Green Earth Technologies to display the API Service Symbol 'Donut' on the G-OIL product," said Kevin Ferrick from the American Petroleum Institute. "API's Service Symbol 'Donut' identifies engine oils that meet API performance requirements. More than 500 companies participate in this voluntary program, which is backed by a marketplace sampling and testing program."

GET will roll out G-OIL 5W-30, the top selling and most recommended motor oil grade in bulk and quart size bottles in the next few months. G-OIL has been available at retail in 2-Cycle, 4-Cycle and Bar & Chain for Outdoor Power Equipment since May of 2008. While it is anticipated that G-OIL 5W-30 will be on the shelves of retailers as early as June, "bulk" oil will be available much sooner to satisfy the fast-lube markets. The company plans to finalize the testing & certification process for 10W-30 and 5W-20 by this summer. According to the National Petrochemical & Refiners Association (NPRA), most recent data (2007), SAE 5W-30 was the number one selling SAE multi-graded motor oil for gasoline engines in the US with a 37.6% share and growing. Adding 10W-30 (35%) and 5W-20 (11.9%) will allow GET to penetrate approximately 85% of the 585 million gallons per year US market.

G-OIL is the world's lowest petroleum, "eco-friendly," ultimate biodegradable motor oil priced comparatively to synthetics and similarly performing products. Unlike traditional petrochemical-based motor oils from leading manufacturers, Green Earth Technologies' G-OIL is made with American-grown renewable animal fats. These saturated fats, whose molecular single-bond carbon chains are similar to common petroleum oils, have no harsh effects on the environment, and drastically cut our dependence on foreign oil. Consider that it takes three barrels of crude oil to make one barrel of motor oil, but it only takes one barrel of animal fat to produce one barrel of G-OIL and thus will reduce our dependence on foreign oil.

there have been threads about this oil now and then

i should know because i started one a long time ago

unfortunately, there isn't much to say about it since we know very little other than the marketing

if someone in BITOG would use it and do a UOA, the conversation could get started

I have tried to email them on three different occasions and have never gotten a reply. On the Speed Channel this past Sunday they were talking about this oil during the ALMS race at Lime Rock. I sure wish folks would not throw the word biodegradable around to loosely. The base stock may be biodegradable, but as soon as you add metallic additives to it, it is not. It is surely no where close to being biodegradable after it has been run in an internal combustion engine.

I mean, other than the cost, I don't see anything wrong with the product. On the other hand I don't see anything special either.

The image in the OP is just simply using very, very, very old data for marketing, and I have no idea what era the data is from. I'm not sure if G-Oil is still using that image as marketing, but if so, then that's a very false representation of the current industry.

VI - Today's Group III oils far exceed the VI listed - PP 5W-30 for example has a VI of 169, and any 0W-20 has VI's in the 170s. 150's VI is comparable to any off-the-shelf conventional today.

Flash point - I have no idea what's going on with the flash point values - maybe it's a closed cup vs open cup thing? Because flash points of pretty much any oil today is over 200C, with Group III flash points mostly over 220C/428F.

Pour - -42C is a pretty average pour for a Group III or II/III blend of today.

Sulfated ash %: Heh, it's not the ash % of the MOTOR OIL that you have to worry about
lol.gif
your car burns a lot more of something else
48.gif

Originally Posted By: znode
I mean, other than the cost, I don't see anything wrong with the product. On the other hand I don't see anything special either.

The image in the OP is just simply using very, very, very old data for marketing, and I have no idea what era the data is from. I'm not sure if G-Oil is still using that image as marketing, but if so, then that's a very false representation of the current industry.

VI - Today's Group III oils far exceed the VI listed - PP 5W-30 for example has a VI of 169, and any 0W-20 has VI's in the 170s. 150's VI is comparable to any off-the-shelf conventional today.

Flash point - I have no idea what's going on with the flash point values - maybe it's a closed cup vs open cup thing? Because flash points of pretty much any oil today is over 200C, with Group III flash points mostly over 220C/428F.

Pour - -42C is a pretty average pour for a Group III or II/III blend of today.

Sulfated ash %: Heh, it's not the ash % of the MOTOR OIL that you have to worry about
lol.gif
your car burns a lot more of something else
48.gif

Here is the MSDS for the 5W30..it gives some data on oil:
MSDS 5W30
FP: 433F
Viscosity: 59 Cst@40C
10.4Cst@ 100C
Pour Pt -45F

Originally Posted By: Mokanic
There's not an oil made that is not biodegradable. How long it takes to do so is the question.

This (5W30)is rated *Ultimate* in biodegradability..60% in 28 days. There is no higher rating than this currently.

Last edited:
Why no comparison to RLI?

I know that Dyson is turning his skills into analyzing this G-Oil product.

As far as bio-oils are concerned I prefer veg' based oils to animal fat based oil as they smell better when burnt.

Dumb question.

What causes the oil to biodegrade? I mean, what keeps the oil from "biodegrading" inside the engine?

Biodegrade is another word for "eaten up by bacteria". Very little bacterial species can eat heavy-base petroleum-anything, that's why most oils are not biodegradable and your plastics don't rot away all the time.

Veg and animal based oils will biodegrade because plenty of bacterial species can process fat (example: cooking oils and lard turning rancid).

Biodegradable oils can't biodegrade in the engine because there isn't enough bacterial exposure, and any bacteria that do get in are quickly killed at engine temperatures.

If you leave a biodegradable base oil in the sump of an undriven car for a long time (years) for bacteria to eventually get in, it's possible for it to go rancid. If you want you can also speed up the process by shoving in some rotten chicken in the filler cap
lol.gif

Petroleum is of course biodegradeable, but with vegetable oils and animal fats it's a lot faster.

To my way of thinking, motor oil made from a renewable resource is simply more appealing.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Why no comparison to RLI?

I know that Dyson is turning his skills into analyzing this G-Oil product.

As far as bio-oils are concerned I prefer veg' based oils to animal fat based oil as they smell better when burnt.

+1 on RLI....

And 47HO and CATERHAM make good points.

I saw "G-Oil" but thought it was a joke. Benefits? And RLI's site says it got almost like hand lotion after being run.

I know someone on this board that says it (RLI) beat the SNOT out of some very reputable synthetics in worser coditions, and stands up really well to fuel dilution. Wish i could figure out how it stays as motor oil though, and doesnt "Biodegrade inside the engine." I like my engine with no broccoli, thanks. Or Potatoes..

Originally Posted By: oliveoil
I'm going to try it. Saw it at AAP. I like the concept of using every bit of the animal.

Thanks to you....I caved in....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back