New radiator cap every two years?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

In fact, I think in 30 plus years and MANY vehicles, I've only replaced a cap once.

If it works, I leave it alone.

Much of the issue, Bill, is that you take care of your cooling systems. Under normal use with good maintenance, they can last a long time. I've replaced a few, but not too commonly. I usually replace them on a neglected cooling system where I find the gasket/mating surfaces on the cap are rusty or pitted.

They do last long with proper cooling system maintenance. They are, of course, mechanical devices and can fail seemingly all by themselves, but that's the exception. At least they tend to be cheap, so if there ever is a question, they can be replaced without wasting a pile of money.

I replace caps as needed, thermostats routinely every four years at every other two-year coolent drain/refill. I've had a lot more trouble with old thermostats than with old caps.

What I noticed on the trip over the weekend is the temp gauge not going down like it did previously.
What I mean is that when I got in the freeway with the car being hot sitting in traffic and suddenly going 65-75 on the freeway, the gauge would drop for a minute or two with the sudden flow of cool air through the rad.
Now, it stays flat. Seems like an improvement to me?
Spring on the one I replaced was not smooth, but "catchy" when I pushed it in. New one very smooth and the gaskets of course soft and pliable.
I think it was worth the trouble.

I think there's cap failure and a cap that works but is subpar. Maybe it doesn't hold the pressure at the rating and is cruded and doesn't siphon back. I do think a cap typically stays in decent working order longer than 2 years, maybe at least 5 years or so.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
I think there's cap failure and a cap that works but is subpar. Maybe it doesn't hold the pressure at the rating and is cruded and doesn't siphon back. I do think a cap typically stays in decent working order longer than 2 years, maybe at least 5 years or so.

Mine was right at five, and I changed coolant last winter, so a new cap was worth a shot. Probably should have done it when I did the coolant. Next time I will make that part of my routine. I generally have not kept cars that long. Now I do, so I have to adjust.

Reading this thread made me decide "what the [censored]", and replace my old cap. I've never replaced the radiator cap on any other vehicle that I've owned. I bought a Stant replacement cap for my Ranger and compared the two. They look identical, and are both rated at 16 lbs. But, the rubber on the new on is much firmer, it fits tighter, and the level of my expansion tank is not as high after a long drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back