2nd Oil change on 2005 CR-V

Status
Not open for further replies.
As you know from my previous posts/comments, I own said CR-V and previously have changed out the factory oil at 4168 miles. I put in at that time Amsoil 0w30 and their EAO filter. I now put in at 9150 M1 5w20 with a Wix. Plan on 10k changes of both.
One thing I noticed is that this particular engine is just as noisy on M1 as it was on the Amsoil. No more, no less.
The other is I figured out how to keep the filter oil from dripping into the framerails, which freaked me out last time by dripping oil directly under where the filter was every time it was parked on an angle.
You take one of those cheap plastic paint tray liners and wedge it up over the framerail and below the axle. It still gets on the axle, but keeps the frame clean and it makes me VERY happy.
PS-- Do you all really think because it's still under warranty I should keep with the 5k changes? Manual says 10k normal/5k severe (I'm a severe guy whether or not it needs it) and this car goes 9 miles on the highway to work every day and then back.

I think 10,000 on M1 5w-20 would be just fine after the engine is fully broke-in,this will take about 30-40,000 miles. Until then I would do shorter changes to get the heavy wear metals out. 5000-6000 is about right until it has some miles on it.

No kidding. Go 10k on synth in that puppy! Chris, the 2.4l is a noisy engine no matter what's in it, I'm afraid. I've even tried dinos to quiet it down but no difference.

Enjoy the V! It's a great car..truck...whatever...
cheers.gif

Chris - try a plastic bag over the filter itself when you remove it and you can stop all the drips and oil you are trying to catch lower down.

Hey m2200b, that's a good idea. I've been bothered by that filter change on the CR-V for a few years now.

Chris, something else you might do is to put the front end up on jackstands, which makes the filter much easier to see and reach, easy to wipe that spilled oil from the filter change off the axle and frame, and also allows noticeably more oil to drip from the pan if you leave it for a couple of hours. OCs take almost 5 qts. for me in that car, whereas the manual states 4.5.
cheers.gif

Yep, and the oil will just keep on streaming out! Just changed mine night before last along with the ATF (I was a bad boy and used maxlife).

A messy filter is a small price to pay for a **** near indestructable engine.
biggthumbcoffe.gif

I use ramps so everything is angled backwards where it should be. Thanks for the tips/insights. I'll just use thin syn until it's economically not correct to do so. Should be when my due-in-August son inherits the CR-V in 16 years, hopefully!

quote:

Originally posted by BrianWC:
Yep, and the oil will just keep on streaming out! Just changed mine night before last along with the ATF (I was a bad boy and used maxlife).

A messy filter is a small price to pay for a **** near indestructable engine.
biggthumbcoffe.gif

I second that, at least with mine the filter is almost 45 degrees downward so oil gets all over the place but alittle carb cleaner cleans it right up.

Honda makes a factory part for the CR-V called an oil deflector. I just let the oil drip on mine, though.
 -

Where can you get that? A dealer?

It looks like it's bolted into the side of the oil pan (?). If so, I don't like the potential for leaks.

If you're facing the drain bolt, the filter is to the upper right of the pan, so it deflects the oil down and to the left where it will drain in the same place as the pan, leaving no need to shift the catch pan around. It is nice in that regard.

quote:

Originally posted by Alcibiades:
Where can you get that? A dealer?

It looks like it's bolted into the side of the oil pan (?). If so, I don't like the potential for leaks.

If you're facing the drain bolt, the filter is to the upper right of the pan, so it deflects the oil down and to the left where it will drain in the same place as the pan, leaving no need to shift the catch pan around. It is nice in that regard.

They are available form Honda dealers.
On the other side of that bolt is a magnet so it can hold itself in place. No worries about drilling in the oil pan.

Buzzsaw: in that pic, is that VIN plate attached to the block itself? Curious to know, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back