Royal Purple good cleaning oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've used Mobil one for years. Have used PP for 2 ocis, 5K and 8k and just did 6K on PP/M1 mix (what was left of two different jugs).
Anyways, I bought some RP on sale and changed it monday. It was very clear the 1st day but 200 miles later the oil is fairly dark. My oil never has gotten this dark this soon.
Has anyone else experienced this with RP?

I've never used it so I can't comment from experience. But remember some additives will darken when heated and used causing the oil to get dark. That's not to say the additive or oil is used up, but just that's the additives natural reaction. The oil is still good, and probably just darkened up b/c of the additive's reaction.

M1 and Pennzoil are both known for being clean oils, so I doubt RP would be able to do enough cleaning in 200 miles to darken the oil like you said

Originally Posted By: HangerHarley
Why did you buy Royal Purple?

If I found it on sale I would buy it too...

I used it for a 7k change once and it was easily my favorite oil change. Havent touched the stuff since its gone up 3 bucks per quart. But it did go brown super fast but it was still cleaner than oils that have been used for a 1/4 of the mileage. My engine temps were lower and my engine was soooo quiet. RP is great stuff. Its on sale right now at Schucks, $39.99 for 5qts and a K&N filter!!! Youd pay more than that for just the oil! Amazing price. going to stock up!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Johnny
Because of this statement.

" I bought some RP on sale "

Ahh, I see. :)

OP, What was the Purchase Price? And Where? Something we should know for this PAO called Royal Purple?

thumbsup2.gif

Pepboys, 40 bucks for 5 quarts(the usual price) but with the Extended Life Royal Purple Oil Filter thrown in.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
RP turns brown shortly after service. Says those exact words on their website. No worries.

I just went to the website. It says:

"The dye that’s used to color the oil dissipates shortly after
being put into service. The color will turn brown at some
point."

Sounds like they simply saying it turns normal oil color
eventually. My is carbon soot dark after 3 days of driving.
I agree though that after 3 years of M1 and 9 months of PP engine
can't be too dirty.

Originally Posted By: synthetic_crazy
Use Pennzoil Ultra next time instead of the Royal Purple.

I'll wait till they throw in a high quality filter with the purchase
of 5 quarts as RP and M1 often does.

Nope.
Pepboys exclusive contract expired last November, but they are still the only vendor.
....ON THE WHOLE PLANET!!!!! FOREVER!!!!!!

It's a tad frustrating.

Originally Posted By: stenerson
Sounds like they simply saying it turns normal oil color
eventually. My is carbon soot dark after 3 days of driving.

With my original 2V in the Mustang I tried RP 5W-30 for one oil change (the engine got M1 5W-30 exclusively beforehand), it did exactly the same for me; went pitch black very quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back