Goodyear TripleTred or Michelin Primacy MXV4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Car: 2003 Subaru Outback wagon
Tire size: 225/60/16
Conditions: Feet of snow and slush to +90F temps and all points in between. Roads are horrible as anyone who has ever driven in Chicago knows.
Will not have a set of snow tires, no storage space for them.

I'm stuck between these two tires. The Goodyear seems to have better winter marks, but people either love or hate them. Common complaints are noise and quality control issues. The Michelin seem to be a good all around tire with few negative comments, but I'm concerned about the winter traction in Chicago's weather.

GYTT
MXV4
What would BITOG buy?

Last edited by a moderator:
Photos of my Triple treads @ 18,000 miles on my 2007 Outback (same size as yours).

I've now got close to 40,000 on them and they are the best thing I've ever rode on. Their snow and ice performance is AMAZING.

Not for the bad news. The rights have 4/32s and left 5/32s. There is no way that they will last another 10k which means I will not get even 50k out of them.

Subaru's wear the rights more than the lefts and with the directional tire you can't move them with out remounting them.

We just got back from a almost 6,000 mile trip across the US and they performed well. I did have one time when we hydroplaned on the freeway but I caught it. Other than that one time all was well.

When I have to go and get my credit from Goodyear since the tires will not make its 80k will I buy another set? Not sure. The tire is great, but I don't like that they will not make the miles in a vehicle that is AWD (so they wear better) and the car is over tired.

Prob will NOT.. I'll get something that has hopefully close to the same performance in the winter and can be rotated side to side.

Hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Bill

PS: I'll take some photos of the tires this weekend and post them!

Fortunately I don't have any experience with them in snow and slush
grin2.gif

I'm 90% sure my wife's 2000 Acura came with MXV4s. They lasted over 80,000 miles and were good performing and comfortable passenger car tires.

I replaced them with GY TTs. The TTs were somewhat quieter and smoother and seemed to handle as well. We didn't keep the car long enough to check the TT life.

I would give the edge to the TTs, with their wear rating they should last along time too.

I'm in Central Iowa, so I know what you mean by having to drive in snow a lot with rough roads. . . I had a similar decision with nearly the exact same size--P215/60R16.

I'm on my second set of Triple Treds. I took the first set off at 65,000 miles. They weren't completely worn out, but they had about 6/32" left on all four wheels. I sold them as used to get something back out of them.

I decided to sacrifice some tread wear for the winter control. My job has me on the roads in the winter before crews have a chance to get out and plow the roads. With the near-record snowfall we had last year I was glad I had all the traction I could find.

I am very happy with the MXV4s on the '99 Accord.
They did very well over the winter, they're quiet and smooth riding, yet have decent dry grip.
Based upon my experience with these paricular tires, as well as my experience with Michilins in general, I'd go with the MXV4s.

MXV4 is an OEM tire that many cars come with, a few of my friends have them from their new cars and are "happy" with it. I'd imagine they probably aren't as grippy as GY TT but gets better fuel economy.

Goodyear Triple Tred Fortera without hesitation!

I have a set of GYTTF P265/70/16's on a 1997 Toy 4Runner Limited 2WD.

Here's why:
-@ 25,000 of aggressive driving I'm still at 8/32's
-Rain: these tires EXCEL in torrential rains; believe me I know first hand
-Snow: above average handling in 7-10" of fresh snow; get dedicated snow tires or studded snow tires for the best snow handling
-Dry: Excellent, it takes corners on highway entry ramps WOT quite well.
-Noise: What noise? not an issue with my experience
-Comfort: On the stiff side

Originally Posted By: GenSan
Goodyear Triple Tred Fortera without hesitation!

I have a set of GYTTF P265/70/16's on a 1997 Toy 4Runner Limited 2WD.

Here's why:
-@ 25,000 of aggressive driving I'm still at 8/32's
-Rain: these tires EXCEL in torrential rains; believe me I know first hand
-Snow: above average handling in 7-10" of fresh snow; get dedicated snow tires or studded snow tires for the best snow handling
-Dry: Excellent, it takes corners on highway entry ramps WOT quite well.
-Noise: What noise? not an issue with my experience
-Comfort: On the stiff side

They do not make a Fortera that will fit my wheels, although I do like it's looks over the Assurance line. And if I had ANY place to put a set of winter tires I would, but there is just no room in my student housing.

But it seems the main consensus it for the MXV4 so far.

I got TT's on both of my Volvo's at about the same time when I lived in Chicago (now Upstate NY). They were great the first winter and horrible after about 20K. They lasted a long time, but I don't know if something happened to the compound or something else. They became poor traction tires in the snow. I don't know if we are asking too much out of an all season, when we want the traction of a dedicated snow tire, but I wouldn't purchase them again.

I have the MXV4’s on a 05 Camry. They are the best all around (less snow / unknown) tires I have ever had. Ride is super, handling is good, wet is super, and they are quiet. Wearing very well. I have only driven in snow couple of times so I can’t comment there. I pretty much in the hate crowd with Goodyear tires. Good luck.

I have the Assurance TT on my cavalier, 15,000 miles, so far so good. Fantastic in rain, good in snow. Dry they are impossible to break loose, and they aren't loud at all. Treadwear seems to be good so far, but I haven't used a depth gauge so not sure where they are at still.

I've had a set of Primacy MXV4's on my 2003 Civic for 31,000 miles. I recently rotated them at 30,000 miles and the tread depth is still 8/32. I realize this is a light car but that is fantastic wear. They are the best set of tires I have ever had on any vehicle. They are very quiet, great in rain, and handle well. Snow traction is ok.

I had the triple treads on my civic for two years. I put on about 500000 km and they were worn out! They were good in the snow and rain but were always too noisy. They sounded like a set of snow tires. Can't say I would ever consider them again. I replaced them with a set of Yokohama Avid's. Just as good in the snow and rain with no noise and better gas mileage!

Mine are quiet (I've spent 7000 miles in the last month listening to them) but the life I'm getting is not making me happy.

I'm still not sure what will I replace them with.. They do perform well when the wife takes off at 4am and the plows are still in the barn...

Bill

I've owned both and like both tires a lot. The biggest downside to the triple tread is that they can be loud at highway speed. However, they grip like mad in bad weather. We live in NC and get little snow. One winter when we did get snow I was drivng down my mother in law's driveway which was completely iced over. The tires gripped so well that the ABS on my wife's Taurus never pulsed, not one bit.

The Michelin Primacy is a great touring tire. It is pretty quiet, has an awesome ride and corners well. I currently have the H-rated version on my wife's 07 Camry and my 08 Volvo S60. It doesn't perform quite as well in bad weather as the triple tread and I don't think it will last as long.

The bottom line is there aint a bad choice here. Where I live, the Michelin is probably the better choice. Given where you live, I'd probably opt for the Goodyear.

Originally Posted By: number_41
Bill--how would the Cooper CS4 work for you when the GYTT's need replacing?

The CS4 Tourings on my friend's Prius keep going out of balance. However, after 9,000 miles of aggressive driving and only one rotation, they are wearing well. It looks like they will last 40,000 miles easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back