SAE 30 API SL vs SJ (where to buy"

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my generator calls for
"Be sure original container is marked API Service "SL/SJ".

It's a tecumseh engine. I've searched high and low (walmart, home depot, etc) and I'm having a bear of a time finding an oil that meets the SL rating. My understanding is that since the letter "L" is after the letter "J" that it supercedes it and I'd be good to go with SL stuff but am I reading too much into it? Will SJ work fine?

Originally Posted By: merlin2375

It's a tecumseh engine. I've searched high and low (walmart, home depot, etc) and I'm having a bear of a time finding an oil that meets the SL rating. My understanding is that since the letter "L" is after the letter "J" that it supercedes it and I'd be good to go with SL stuff but am I reading too much into it? Will SJ work fine?

How old is the generator? The second later is the revision of the spec, and is generally backwards comparable. SL is newer than SJ, and good for all SJ applications. SM (the current spec) is newer than SL and generally good for all SL applications. You may have a hard time finding oil that isn't SM on the shelf. If the generator (or just the manual) is fairly old they were probably just recommending whatever was newest at the time, so any SJ, SL, or SM oil will probably work fine.

SJ,SL, or SM will work fine for your generator. SAE 30 OR HD30 can be found in Castrol, Pennzoil, Quakerstate, and Valvoline. You can buy at tour local WalMart or Auto Parts store.

Jeepers: SAE HD 30 lawnmower oil (PROTEC, Briggs and Stratton, MTD-WHITE) is at homedepot, Lowes, ACE or John Deere turfguard optionally Rotella CI4/SL SAE 30. Just DONT put API SM/ILSAC GF-4 in there. A 15w-40 mixed fleet oil would prob be OK spring-Fall like DELO, Delvac, Rotella, Valvoline.

Thanks for the help.

bearda - the generator was manufactured in 2005 so it's about 5 years old.

I did see SAE HD30 at walmart, but I didn't know what HD 30 is.

Short answer: Use Rotella T SAE 30 (rated SJ) it comes in 4 or 5
quart jugs at Walmart. It's great stuff for an application
like yours.

Last time I checked, German Castrol 0W30. B&S 5W30 synthetic, the Amsoil 10W30/30 for small OPE, and Mobil 1 10W30 High mileage oils are all still SL rated, and would all be perfect for your application.

I dont think you want a "W" oil in there unless required by temps. Especially if the gen will be on constantly over a period of days. For a couple hours op, most anything will do
wink.gif

Thanks, I ended up picking up some HD-30 (Penzoil, API SL) that I found at a local autoparts store.

What is the HD in the HD-30? Is it heavy duty? I can't seem to find anything that explains what HD is.

Thanks, I ended up picking up some HD-30 (Penzoil, API SL) that I found at a local autoparts store.

What is the HD in the HD-30? Is it heavy duty? I can't seem to find anything that explains what HD is.

HD=Heavy Dyty.

In general look for SL inside of the double circle (doughnut) on the back of the bottle. If it has SL you know it still has enough ZDDP in it.

Now if you are going to start that engine below 50 Fahrenheit you woud be better off with GC, Rotell T6 5W-40, or M1 0W-40. For temperature above 90 Fahrenheit My first choices would be M1 15W-50, or M1 V twin motorcycle 20W-50. If that was not available I would go with GC, Rotella T6 5W-40, or (any SL mono grade 40 weight, but do not use the mono weight below 50 F.

It's a tecumseh engine. I've searched high and low (walmart, home depot, etc) and I'm having a bear of a time finding an oil that meets the SL rating.

You walked right by it i bet, look at Mobil 1 HM 10w30 it's SL rated and is basically a 30w because it has low VII.

well build oil that would work perfectly fine in your gen.

Yep HD=Heavy Duty. Pennzoil HD-30 is about all I use in power equipment besides something like a snow blower now. No vii to shear down and low voltality and it's cheap and easy to find. I don't need a 0-10W in equipment that only gets started in warm weather. Truth be told you could probably get away with an SM 10W30 dino. Not recommending it, just saying I've seen it work fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back