What oil to use on 2004 Ford 3.0 DuraTec w/90k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there. New member, long time reader. I've posted a somewhat related question in the ATF forum, but here I've got an oil question.

Recently purchased 2004 Ford Escape w/3.0 DuraTec v6, 90k miles. Oil change done by dealer before delivery - not sure what they used. Driven the car for almost 3000 miles since we got it and the motor is quiet for its age, doesn't leak, and hasn't used a drop of oil in the 3k mile range.

Now, I'm an advocate of using the Motorcraft Syn-Blend 5W20 in all of my vehicles - 07 Montego, 07 Freestyle, and 05 Accord - all have been using the MC oil for several years with great results. So the logical thing to do would be to put in the same Motorcraft blend 5W20.

However, like in the ATF thread, I have this niggling voice in the back of my head saying that, with 90k miles, you might want to have some additives in there to help prevent future problems. So I've pondered using Valvoline MaxLife 5W20 at this next oil change. I've used it in the past with other higher-mileage engines (different viscosities, though) and had good results. But if I use no oil and don't leak, should I use the standard syn-blend (MC), or use the MaxLife? Any thoughts?

thanks much!
andy

Originally Posted By: andysinnh
Hi there. New member, long time reader. I've posted a somewhat related question in the ATF forum, but here I've got an oil question.

Recently purchased 2004 Ford Escape w/3.0 DuraTec v6, 90k miles. Oil change done by dealer before delivery - not sure what they used. Driven the car for almost 3000 miles since we got it and the motor is quiet for its age, doesn't leak, and hasn't used a drop of oil in the 3k mile range.

Now, I'm an advocate of using the Motorcraft Syn-Blend 5W20 in all of my vehicles - 07 Montego, 07 Freestyle, and 05 Accord - all have been using the MC oil for several years with great results. So the logical thing to do would be to put in the same Motorcraft blend 5W20.

However, like in the ATF thread, I have this niggling voice in the back of my head saying that, with 90k miles, you might want to have some additives in there to help prevent future problems. So I've pondered using Valvoline MaxLife 5W20 at this next oil change. I've used it in the past with other higher-mileage engines (different viscosities, though) and had good results. But if I use no oil and don't leak, should I use the standard syn-blend (MC), or use the MaxLife? Any thoughts?

thanks much!
andy

Motorcraft 5w20 is just fine.

I would continue using Motorcraft 5W-20. This what all Ford dealers uses now days. If you're skeptical, Motorcraft is made proudly by ConocoPhillips which are known for quality gasoline and lube products. Valvoline is a great choice also being an synthetic blend whith slightly more additives for better wear and tear protection.

I considered the same change on my 01 Escape. The concensus here was that high mileage oil is not needed if everything is still working well. At 150k I still don't have to add any oil and still runs like new. Hope you have the same experience.

I have an 04 Escape w/ 68,000 miles and have been using MC5w20 I tried a lot of oils and always come back to that one, I will stick with it till I have a reason to change.
Congrats on the Escape I have had mine for 2 years and realy like it

Originally Posted By: bradepb
I have an 04 Escape w/ 68,000 miles and have been using MC5w20 I tried a lot of oils and always come back to that one, I will stick with it till I have a reason to change.
Congrats on the Escape I have had mine for 2 years and realy like it

What have you used for transmission fluid when you've drained the fluid? Also debating whether to use a MaxLife ATF or just standard Mercon (thus my other thread).

I'll likely do the next change with MC blend and just keep the MaxLife 5W20 in case I need it down the road..

thanks for everyones' input thus far!

andy

Did the oil change this morning - used MC blend 5W20 - engine purred like a kitten after startup. We'll see how it does. Was the first time I really crawled under the car, and there are zero leaks from any of the engine seals and the process was painless - except for the oil filter location. On my Freeestyle and Montego with the same DuraTec, the oil filter is on a more remote location nearer the front, and it's apiece of cake to take off. On the Escape (actually it's a Tribute), it's up above the front header pipe and a bit of a challenge to get to - especially removing the dealer filter that was just slightly larger diameter-wise than the cap wrench that fits the OEM FL820S filter. But I got it off and all is well - just took longer.

Will let folks know how it goes. 89,470 miles and counting...

thanks again for your help - andy

However, like in the ATF thread, I have this niggling voice in the back of my head saying that, with 90k miles, you might want to have some additives in there to help prevent future problems. So I've pondered using Valvoline MaxLife 5W20 at this next oil change.

If you like the Motorcraft product, Motorcraft does have a High Mileage line.

Scroll down: http://www.fordparts.com/Products/Chemicals-MotorOils.aspx

SAE5W-20HighMileageSyntheticBlendMotorOil.jpg

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
However, like in the ATF thread, I have this niggling voice in the back of my head saying that, with 90k miles, you might want to have some additives in there to help prevent future problems. So I've pondered using Valvoline MaxLife 5W20 at this next oil change.

If you like the Motorcraft product, Motorcraft does have a High Mileage line.

Scroll down: http://www.fordparts.com/Products/Chemicals-MotorOils.aspx

SAE5W-20HighMileageSyntheticBlendMotorOil.jpg

Thanks for posting this - I've never seen this before. Wonder who carries it (besides a dealer)...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back