Honda Automatic Transmission Drain/Fill Procedure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mez
I notice no difference in shifting using Maxlife ATF in the Ridgeline.

I notice that the Valvoline site says MaxLife DEX/MERC ATF is recommended for use where Honda Z-1 is required, but that "regular" Valvoline DEX/MERC ATF does not say the same? What's the difference between the two?

So I made a quick stop at Advance Auto Parts this morning to check out their transmission fluid selection. I found the labels of the following to indicate them being suitable for use where Honda Z-1 is called for:

Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle ($3.99/quart)
Valvoline MaxLife DEX/MERC ATF ($4.99/quart)
Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF ($8.79/quart)

Based on what folks have said, I'm considering ditching the Z-1 like BuickGN suggested and using one of these. Thoughts/suggestions?

I don't have any suggestion on which one is the best replacement for Z-1 other than Maxlife seems like the best value. Also you can get the maxlife for well under $4/qt at walmart. they even have it it in 1 galon jugs for about ~$14.

Barlow-

Don't worry yourself about getting to the fill hole, just fill through the dipstick hole. It takes maybe 30- 40 seconds for the entire quart to disappear into the tranny, no big deal.

Use whatever fluid you want that will make you sleep well. I mean, it wouldn't make sense for you to use Red Line or Amsoil and then worry constantly about it, that would be counter-productive. It will be good thing for your tranny even if you decide on the Z-1, getting fresh fluid in there is never a bad thing.

When doing back to back drain and fills it's usually better to actually drive the car for a bit, purposely going through all the gears. Going for a 10 minute drive will mix it good.

Good luck~

OP Update: Right around the 30,000 mile mark, I did three drain/fills using a total of 14 quarts of ACDelco ATF-Z1. One day and 36 miles separated the first and second. Six days and 144 miles separated the second and third. So I figure the old and new fluid was pretty well mixed. The fluid that came out wasn't as bad as I expected. It was still pretty red. The magnetic drain plug had quite a bit of stuff on it though.

I've noticed a marked improvement in overall shift quality. Shifts had gotten a little sloppy before the new fluid.

I love how simple they've make it to drain/fill this transmission. I may start doing a single drain/fill every 10,000 miles in an attempt to stay ahead of the curve. At the current mileage put on the vehicle, that translates to a drain/fill every spring.

Thanks to everyone for their previous input and comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back