who will turn rotors these days?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't turned rotors in many many years because:
- I prefer to finish a brake job in under an hour...
- I prefer not to loose any mass off the rotors, so as not to increase the chance of overheating, warping, etc (AMG specs do not allow turning....)
- rotors are not all that expensive.

regardless, my neighbor wants to turn the rotors on his truck... where can you get that done anymore?

Pep Boys or O'Reilly's.

If you did a random sampling of auto shops in my area, 9 out of 10 shops here turn the rotors at every brake job if there is enough material remaining.

I do it during a brake pad change if the brake pedal is pulsing.

Otherwise, I just install new pads and bed them in. I've only been able to get any set of rotors machined once. They are not very thick these days as another poster mentioned.

O'Reillys +1.

Then again, if it costs $25/rotor to turn it, and new rotors cost $35, seems like a good chance to just go new?

I haven't turned rotors in probably 20 years or more. I clean them up and re-use them if they are in good shape, if not I replace them. I just replaced rotors on my Aerostar and had more problems with the new rotors than the rotors that had over 110,000 miles on them that I replaced. One of the new rotors was warped right out of the box.

I ended up doing the brake job twice, now new brakes and new rotors, everything is fine. I still didn't see any difference between new and old, performance wise. The 110,000 mile rotors were never cut, and had seen 3 sets of brakes, with a lot of NY stop and go use.

As a side note when I did replace or cut rotors, the brakes still gave the same service life.

We dont turn drums or rotors anymore in our fleet and we have a brake lathe, for the prices of BMG Chinese rotor and drums it is just not worth the trouble plus there is a lot more meat on a new rotor.
If you only replace pads you are not getting 100% efficiancy as your old rotors are glazed and hardened from heat,this is a liability concern for us with our school buses.
I just did the brakes on my sons Taurus and the rotors were 20.00 each hardly worth turning the old rusty overheated ones.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
O'Reillys +1.

Then again, if it costs $25/rotor to turn it, and new rotors cost $35, seems like a good chance to just go new?

whoa! the one in my town charges like $10 a rotor, and $12 for a drum

A local tire/parts/service center did a rotor for me for $13, a new one was $50 so it worked out. I had to drop it off and pick it up in a couple days because only one employee knew how to work the lathe.

I think rotors aren't made as well as they could be. I have less than 1500 miles on my car and they are warped(deposits). I tried to bed in the brakes properly and now when I brake I get the shudders! I drive like grandpa for cripes sake!

I should consider slotted/dimpled rotors as most of my buddies who have them have no issues.

I also had a couple of rotors turned at O'Reilly's- they did a really nice job too. But at $15 a piece, they better have.

Originally Posted By: bradepb
I just did the brakes on my sons Taurus and the rotors were 20.00 each hardly worth turning the old rusty overheated ones.

Where did you get rotors for $20 ea? The cheapest I found was like $30.

I am a foreman at a garage so I get our cost or sometimes less, they probably listed at 30+ but if it costs about 10- 15 to have old ones turned I guess its somewhat personal preference or budget that will decide wich way to go.

Did the OP say AMG?? If yes, then the rotors already begin life with the minimum amount of metal for service, and removing more would likely cause problems.

The most I'd do is throw another set of pads on the old rotors if they still look ok.

Otherwise, at least in BMWville (and even at my work, which is F350ville), rotors are considered normal wear parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back