2009 Maxima Sludged 3.5l

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for not, if not I'm sorry, but here are some pictures of a 09 Maxima 3.5l 26k on the odomoeter, sludged and smoking like a mofo.

000_6286.jpg

000_6287.jpg

000_6288.jpg

000_6289.jpg

000_6297.jpg
000_6295.jpg
000_6294.jpg
000_6293.jpg
000_6292.jpg
000_6291.jpg
000_6290.jpg

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
Even if the FF was left in for all that time, it still shouldn't THAT bad...

These engines are super hard on oil. I don't care what the manual, or anyone else sees. These 3.5L engines are extremely hard on oil, especially the 09-10 Maxima and 3.7's. I'm sure it has something to do with the fact that the Maxima owners manual says it recommends using Nissan Ester oil in these engines.

Originally Posted By: Trajan
An oppurtunity for ARX
27.gif

Good luck, this car has so much blow by with it... It's done.

That's funny, I've seen this firsthand at my shop. Customer came in with a brand new altima and it was sludged just like this. Hmm I guess extended oci's with conventional are not likely in this vehicle. Probaly wouldn't push synthetic past 6k. If there that hard on oil. Time to throw in some redline!

Originally Posted By: finalyzd
That's funny, I've seen this firsthand at my shop. Customer came in with a brand new altima and it was sludged just like this. Hmm I guess extended oci's with conventional are not likely in this vehicle. Probaly wouldn't push synthetic past 6k. If there that hard on oil. Time to throw in some redline!

Def don't recommend the extended oil change intervals in any Nissan engine.... Not a good idea... oil consumption, valvetrain problems, ring and bearing problems, sludging.....

I see this all day long at our shop, the bottom line is CHANGE YOUR F*****G OIL. I'm willing to bet that this guy never changed his oil until 2 days before bringing it into Johnny248's shop.

I can tell you it had a brand new Mobil 1 oil filter, and band new oil. Bunch of "suspicious" oil change receipts. There is no way this car had the oil changed every 3k as the records indicate.... My shops see's quite a few neglected Nissan vehicles. SpAzZ are you at a shop somewhere? I see you are in Michigan also

Yes, Johnny248 I'm at a Nissan dealer in the Jackson, MI area. I see the "fake" records all the time, all it takes is some photoshop skills and your in....until your like me and you call to verify. I'm now starting to see a rash of headgaskets on 1.8 sentra's and have had 4 in the last week.

BTW..
Their is NO WAY that the oil was changed in this vehicle every 3k unless he/she changed it with straight 50 weight and then it would have to be used. I love how people just assume service people are stupid.

Originally Posted By: SpAzZ
Yes, Johnny248 I'm at a Nissan dealer in the Jackson, MI area. I see the "fake" records all the time, all it takes is some photoshop skills and your in....until your like me and you call to verify. I'm now starting to see a rash of headgaskets on 1.8 sentra's and have had 4 in the last week.

BTW..
Their is NO WAY that the oil was changed in this vehicle every 3k unless he/she changed it with straight 50 weight and then it would have to be used. I love how people just assume service people are stupid.

Crazy, I'm over in Dearborn myself. I've had quite a few 1.8l issues also. The main engine issues I see here are older 2.5's with stretched timing chains, no compression, excessive oil consumpution. 3.5's with oil consumption, which again leads to noisy and messed up timing components.

Long story short, Nissan engines, as good as they may be or may not be, really should follow the maint schedule. No 15k lof's regardless of what someone's uoa says or not. It will just lead to problems down the road.

Originally Posted By: Johnny248

These engines are super hard on oil. I don't care what the manual, or anyone else sees. These 3.5L engines are extremely hard on oil, especially the 09-10 Maxima and 3.7's. I'm sure it has something to do with the fact that the Maxima owners manual says it recommends using Nissan Ester oil in these engines.

What's the difference between the VQ35DE in the new Maxima and the one in the Altima? There's no VVEL on the 3.5 in the Maxima. Based on what you are saying, I assume you mean that the VQ35 in general is hard on oil?

I am actually very surprised that the engine is in this condition after 26k on the factory fill. I expected it to be only slightly sludged considering the type of factory fill, but not smoking and completely toast. Wow.

I really don't care what vehicle you drive....the maint manual is set for a reason. If engineers thought that cars and trucks could go 26k miles between oil changes, they would do that and market it as a way to save customers money over the long haul.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: Johnny248

What's the difference between the VQ35DE in the new Maxima and the one in the Altima? There's no VVEL on the 3.5 in the Maxima. Based on what you are saying, I assume you mean that the VQ35 in general is hard on oil?

I am actually very surprised that the engine is in this condition after 26k on the factory fill. I expected it to be only slightly sludged considering the type of factory fill, but not smoking and completely toast. Wow.

It does not have the same setup as the 370, but in general VQ35's all seem to be hard on oil. New and old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back