Schaeffer 229 - too cohesive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Schaeffer recommends that 229 Ultra Moly not be used in wheel bearing service because it is so "adhesive and cohesive". Can someone lead me by the hand here and explain why that's bad?

Greases with very high tack can curl around the spindle and pull away from the bearings/races. Most wheel-bearing specific greases have a "buttery" consistency.

The 229 grease has soluble moly, not solid molydenum disulfide, and is dyed red. It has a high tackifier content and won't flow into smaller antifriction bearings (ball-needle-roller). It'll work fine on wheel bearings larger than pickup truck size, as will the very tacky 228.

The moly is no problem. I've got about 80,000 miles on the u-joint needle bearings in my truck with #274 syn-blend moly grease, and they're doing great. I just put that grease in my trailer wheel bearings and they don't warm up at all at highway speed. For years the grease for wheel bearings was described as "stringy", not buttery. Modern greases don't need this stringy characteristic.

What about using it in mower spindles?
Would the same reason 229 isn't suitable for auto wheel bearings apply?
Curious 'cause I just picked up 20 tubes for the tractor and ZTR.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: salesrep
Many believe #229 is the best grease we have.

Naaa, 238#
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: salesrep
Excellent. Many believe #229 is the best grease we have.

Good thing! I just bought another 20 tubes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back