Petro Canada 0w20 and 0w30

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
I have a LOT of Petro Points (because I use a lot of gas!) and I'm thinking of picking up some of their 0w30 for my next OCI just for fun.

Anybody up here in the GWN ever tried these grades?

Here are the specs:

0w20:
Code:

Density, kg/L @ 15°C / 60°F: 0.8432

Colour:
Flash Point, °C / °F: 235/455

Pour Point, °C / °F: -48/-54

Kinematic Viscosity:

cSt @ 40°C: 46.6

cSt @ 100°C: 8.7

SUS @ 100°F: 236.4

SUS @ 212°F: 55.1

Cold Cranking Viscosity, cP @ °C: 5210 @ -35

Viscosity Index: 169

Borderline Pumping Viscosity, cP @ °C: 12441@-40

Sulphated Ash, % wt.: 1.0

Sulphur, mass %: 0.27

Phosphorus, mass %: 0.079

Total Base No. (TBN), mg KOH/g: 7.7

API Performance Level: SM/CF

0w30:
Code:

Density, kg/L @ 15°C / 60°F: 0.844

Colour:
Flash Point, °C / °F: 233/451

Pour Point, °C / °F: -45/-43

Kinematic Viscosity:

cSt @ 40°C: 58.5

cSt @ 100°C: 10.6

SUS @ 100°F: 297

SUS @ 212°F: 61.8

Cold Cranking Viscosity, cP @ °C: 5,524 @ -35

Viscosity Index: 172

Borderline Pumping Viscosity, cP @ °C: 14,204 @ -40

Sulphated Ash, % wt.: 0.9

Sulphur, mass %: 0.27

Phosphorus, mass %: 0.079

Total Base No. (TBN), mg KOH/g: 7.8

API Performance Level: SM/CF

I have used there 5w20 seems alright. Maybe its just me, on start up the engine seems a bit noiser for a few seconds. the cars have used petro 5w30 prior to the 20w. I would think the o weight oils would be a better blend of oil than the 5w.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
I have a LOT of Petro Points (because I use a lot of gas!) and I'm thinking of picking up some of their 0w30 for my next OCI just for fun.

Anybody up here in the GWN ever tried

PC 0W30 has to be the least expensive brand name 0W30 one can buy in Canada.

Here is my recent UOA of this PC grade run this past winter:

PC 0W30 UOA

Originally Posted By: fraso
You can get it from a PC dealer. If you don't have an account, I can help you if travel through Fort Erie.

PC has dealers? LOL I had no idea!

I asked at the gas station and they said they could order it in. Only grade they stock in syn is 5w30.

I don't personally go through Fort Erie, but I have a friend and customer who does regular work at Bruce, so he's down that way VERY often. We could arrange something......

My car runs the best on the dino 5W-30 compared to ANY other dino - quicker starts in all weather, and oil consumption is a lot less than others.

Since you like 40 weights, why don't you try Duron-E 0W-40? It has great specs!

Originally Posted By: addyguy
My car runs the best on the dino 5W-30 compared to ANY other dino - quicker starts in all weather, and oil consumption is a lot less than others.

Since you like 40 weights, why don't you try Duron-E 0W-40? It has great specs!

I hadn't even noticed they had a 0w40! Good find!!! I'll get them to order THAT in then!

HOLY [censored]!!!!!!!! This stuff is insane! a -66C pour point???????

Code:

DURON-E SYN 0W-40

Flash Point, °C / °F: 221 / 430

Kinematic Viscosity cSt @ 40°C / SUS @ 100°F: 88.7 / 450.14

Kinematic Viscosity cSt @ 100°C / SUS @ 210°F: 15.0 / 79.59

Viscosity Index: 179

High Temp/High Shear Viscosity, cP @ 150°C: 4.04

Cold Cranking Viscosity cP @ -35°C / -31°F: 5548

Pour Point °C / °F: < -66 / < -87

Pumping Viscosity cP @ -40°C / -40°F: 26,940

Sulphated Ash, % wt: 1.0

Sulphur, %: 0.369

Phosphorus, %: 0.109

Total Base Number (TBN), mg KOH /g: 8.11

PC has dealers? LOL I had no idea!

You need to move to Saskatchewan. You can't swing a dead cat here without hitting a bulk dealer from each of the big companies, and some of the smaller ones.

I can get enough Delvac, Delo, Rotella, and Duron to fill a swimming pool each, yet heaven help me if I want a PureOne or a Stratapore.

Where did you find it? Our local gas stations don't carry it. Only the 5w30.

On PC's website, although it isnt easy to find as I recall, there is list of PC dealers. However I got my case of PC 0W30 PCMO through an independent multi line outlet that was much closer to me (Toronto area). I obtained info re this location through an email sent to Petro Canada. PM me if you like for the contact info for this rep. as she was quite helpful.

I had sent a general inquiry to PC yesterday, got a response first thing this AM giving me the name of the local bulk distributor. So it looks like I'm in business!

That 0w40 looks like an excellent product. So how do you get your hands on this stuff again? Somebody who knows someone, who knows the guy?
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: webfors
That 0w40 looks like an excellent product. So how do you get your hands on this stuff again? Somebody who knows someone, who knows the guy?
grin2.gif

Just e-mail Petro Canada. They'll give you the name of the local distributor.

Webfors,

In Ottawa, go down Merivale South, toward Fallowfield. All the gas/oil co.'s have bulk distribution plants there, including PC.

OK, just got back from the distributor. Picked up a case of the synthetic grease, and ordered a 4x4 of the 0w40 to start with. The price is incredible!!!! almost half the price of M1 0w40.

OK, just got back from the distributor. Picked up a case of the synthetic grease, and ordered a 4x4 of the 0w40 to start with. The price is incredible!!!! almost half the price of M1 0w40.

Half price? That's amazing! That oil looks very interesting with that super low pour point.

Originally Posted By: Art_Vandelay

Half price? That's amazing! That oil looks very interesting with that super low pour point.

Yes, it does. And of course has me very curious about the base stocks, since this is the lowest pour point of any oil I've ever seen.

Yes, it does. And of course has me very curious about the base stocks, since this is the lowest pour point of any oil I've ever seen.

Last summer I was gung ho about the PCMO 0W30 offered by PC. The price is incredibly competitive. I VOA'd it and this past March I UOA'd it. There is no doubt that currently all PC oils use Group 2 and 3 base stocks. It says as much on their website.

http://lubricants.petro-canada.ca/en/products/277.aspx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back