Mobil 1 5w-30 NOACK 11-13%

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: lonestar
Based on the response Pennzoil provided to the question of NOACK % in PU, NOACK % is not a concern for DI engines. Pennzoil said VIIs were the issues. They said no more that that. If you buy into what Pennzoil said then the key to avoid valve deposits in DI engines is using an oil with very low VII but I find VII info difficult to find.

I'm not saying they're liars. But it's not in their best interest to say something negative about their new Ultra oil. Which the name itself implies super-greatness. So maybe they just downplay it.

The reason I say that is, there are a lot of smart oil guys out there that have been dealing with D.I. issues and their inherent intake valve deposits and I've seen the low NOACK recommended from a whole lot of them. Didn't the BitoG guy who now gives UOA interpretations also help RLI create an oil specifically around dealing with Direct Injection? I was thinking I had read something somewhere from him about having a low NOACK. I could be wrong. But I don't think I would take Pennzoil's word for it in a public forum answer session debuting their brand new "Ultra" oil. Again, I could be wrong. But I'd love to see someone who knows chime in on it. Though I think the problem is, everyone is all still learning on how to address it in the 1st place.

Originally Posted By: buster
Quote:

Question:
Oil for a Mazda Direct Injection Engine
Hello, I have a Mazda direct injection engine and I am trying to find one oil with low NOACK viscosity ratings. I am unable to find this information on the Mobil 1 5W-30 Product Data Sheet. Can you help me with that? Thank you
-- Stefan Stoian, Buffalo Grove, IL
Answer:
Typical Mobil 1 5W-30, NOACK viscosity is 11-13%.

Quote:
Straight Answer to Whether Mobil 1 is an Ester Oil
"Many synthetic oils, including Mobil 1, contain a variety of synthetic fluids, and usually this includes esters"....you did not answer the question! As a new INFINITI G37 sport owner (NISSAN) we want to know, IS MOBIL ONE AN ESTER OR ESTER BASED OIL? yes or no, not "may contain" or "usually includes" esters. We don't want to pay $12 a quart for Nissan ester 5w-30 so please answer the question.....yes it does, or no it does not.
-- Tim Youso, Lake Havasu City, AZ
Answer:
Mobil 1 contains Ester.

Kudos to the guy asking about whether Mobil 1 contains an ester. haaa think he was mad? I'm impressed they answered these questions. It's not like it would do them any harm considering most companies publish this information.

From this, it's probably safe to assume Mobil 1 5w30 is significant Grp III, and contains an ester/PAO etc.. Great oil despite the higher NOACK, although "some" consumption related issues with this particular oil could be a result of that.

Although the ester question mentioned Nissan 5W-30, does Mobil's response infer that they are talking about 5W-30 when the question doesn't actually mention the Mobil 1 grade?

Or does "Mobil 1 contains Ester" mean all Mobil 1's?

-Dennis

Originally Posted By: zddp77
Castrol use too be the biggest deceiver in engine oils ...that title now belongs too Mobil without a doubt.

I've lost confidence in their brand to a small extent. Mostly after the Ashland/BP Seq IVA claims. We'll never know how/why that happened.

I only posted this because these questions come up quite often.

Originally Posted By: 05ChevyI5
I believe IMHO that Mobile evades that question because if it contained very little PAO maybe fewer would use it. My opinion is that FULLY synthetic oils should contain resonable amounts of PAO's or POE's. i.e.,1-5% just does not cut it. The key word here is my "opinion"

Our founding fathers would be rolling over in their graves seeing your spelling. . . Mobile is a city on the Alabama gulf coast. Exxon-Mobil is the oil company.

Originally Posted By: buster
Question:
Oil for a Mazda Direct Injection Engine
Hello, I have a Mazda direct injection engine and I am trying to find one oil with low NOACK viscosity ratings. I am unable to find this information on the Mobil 1 5W-30 Product Data Sheet. Can you help me with that? Thank you
-- Stefan Stoian, Buffalo Grove, IL
Answer:
Typical Mobil 1 5W-30, NOACK viscosity is 11-13%.

Wow..i never knew they answered my question...when i asked them with an email they refused to answer saying is confidential information..

Originally Posted By: ekpolk
Originally Posted By: 05ChevyI5
I believe IMHO that Mobile evades that question because if it contained very little PAO maybe fewer would use it. My opinion is that FULLY synthetic oils should contain resonable amounts of PAO's or POE's. i.e.,1-5% just does not cut it. The key word here is my "opinion"

Our founding fathers would be rolling over in their graves seeing your spelling. . . Mobile is a city on the Alabama gulf coast. Exxon-Mobil is the oil company.

Correction noted.
blush.gif

Originally Posted By: lonestar

Hold on a second... Pennzoil specifically said that Ultra had no Gp IV or V in it and made no bones about it.

Not Gp IV, but an organic ester FM. However, I am not the source for this so I can't attest to its accuracy. It came from hookshot35 on BITOG.

Quote:
here is the reply from Pennzoil when I asked them about the compatability with the Nissan Ester oil that is recommended for my new Infiniti G37.

Dear Mr. Jeff Hagan;

Thank you for your interest in our products.
It has come to our attention that certain 2009 Nissan and Infiniti vehicles require a special "ester" motor oil. Upon further investigation, Nissan's requirement is for organic, friction-modifiers in the oil to provide lubrication for Diamond-Like Coated (DLC) engine parts. Esters are a class of organic friction modifiers that provide the performance needed to protect these coatings and engine surfaces. Nissan's general recommendation is for SAE 5W-30 engine oils in these vehicles.
The Pennzoil Ultra 5W-30 oil uses the organic friction modifiers and are recommended for Nissan and Infinity vehicles requiring"ester"
motor oil.
Sincerely
Product Technical Service, ah

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back