Choices for 1995 M-B E320, M104 I6 engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a new-for-me 1995 Mercedes Benz E320 wagon, without a fully-detailed service history from the previous owner. 140Kmiles on the M104 engine, which I believe is not a roller-cam engine (making ZDDP/other-EP additive level important, based on my reading here).

The owner's manual calls for API SH/SJ (which I realize is obsolete), and looking at the chart in the manual shows a 5W-40 weight as a wide-temperature-range choice.

It seemed like the only means to accomplish the 5W-40 at my local WalMart are: Mobil 1 TDT, or Shell Rotella T6. Both HDEO oils that say they are also suitable for gasoline engine use. Anyone care to offer an opinion on using either of these in my wagon?

I've found the "Mobil 1 Engine Oils" PDF dated 4/7/2009, and the TDT seems to have higher zinc and phosphorus levels than the "high mileage" products, even a bit better than the 0W-40. Is there any later documentation from Exxon-Mobil?

Can anybody point me at an equivalent document covering the Rotella T6?

Thanks for any pointers and advice!

It's an OHC motor. I would still recommend some ZDDP but it doesn't have pushrods and flat tappets.

M1 5w-40 diesel is a great one. There's a million more!

I'm still learning about the engine (have to admit it was somewhat of a recommendation/impulse purchase).

The valvetrain diagram of the M104 looked like a double overhead cam, with the cam lobes making direct contact with the flat surface of a hydraulic adjuster which in turn contacts the valve.

I don't know enough yet to know if you properly call those tappets, lifters, followers, valve lash adjusters, or something else. It still looks like my engine has the cam lobe pushing directly on a flat surface without any roller. Am I correct in understanding this results in a situation where the oil film is displaced, and ZDDP or other EP additive protects against wear?

Appreciate the comment about M1 5W-40. The local WalMart has it, although it took a careful look to realize that the M1 10W-40 High Mileage sitting right next to it was a 5 qt. jug, for the same price as 4 qt. jug of 5W-40 TDT :-(

Hi,
either M1 0W-40 or TDT 5W-40 will do well in your engine. It has bucket type hydraulic lifters. MB has used these since around 1968. You do not need any supplementary additives

Last edited:
Currently running the 10w40 HM in my '97 e320 (m104 engine) and the oil seems to be working great! We originally ran M1 10w30 for the first 100k (now realize it was thinner than spec) and then ran M1 15w50 from 100k-235k. Started to see a little seep at the back of the head gasket that would leave a drop on the garage floor overnight, so switched to the 10w40 HM. After a few thousand miles, the drip has disappeared and the engine runs good as new.

Car now has 247k miles on the original, unopened engine with original HG & timing cover gasket. I might experiment with different brands in the other vehicles, but our MB's will only ever get Mobil 1...

AMRoberts,

Have you heard/read anything about MotorSilk? I am almost always against additives but this seems to be different.MotorSilk says it creates a permanent film in the engine, permanent for 100K miles.
I used it and observed quieter engine operation and around 5% fuel economy.

These excerpts from the MB Factory Approved Service Products(2007)might be useful to you. They certainly are informative.

MBOilSpec1.jpg

MBOilSpec2.jpg

MBOilSpec3.jpg

MBOilSpec4.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back