Seafoam in the Crankcase - How Long?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't necessarily like being grouped as a basher, because I am not.

I haven't been on here very long, but I have seen enough of your posts to know that you are almost the Joan of Arc of Seafoam. ;-}

If you want to spend $7 a pint for cutting oil, naptha and Isopropyl Alchol that is your right.

I know that your 5.7 has an issue with the PCV system and you are using the Seafoam to help dry your engine.

In reality, you would be better off just adding the alcohol without the Naptha if all you are wanting to do is absorb the moisture.

It is absolutely without question that Naptha is very volatile. It will eat plastic, rubber and dissolve many sealants.

It just puzzles me that Seafoam users might not consider that Seafoam is banking on the volatility of the Naptha will be offset by the additive package of the existing oil and the quantity of oil for damage not to occur. There is nothing in the Seafoam that neutralizes the volatility of the Naptha, so they are counting on the oil to resist it and evaporation to remove it.

I am in the opinion there are safer means to aid in cleaning the crankcase than using a product with Naptha, Isopropyl Alcohol and cutting oil.

To each his own.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Quote:
1990 Volvo V70 with 85K miles.

I wouldn't put Seafoam in the engine, but what the heck is a 1990 V70????

Heh, heh, heh...

Nice catch, particularly since the V70 didn't show up 'til 1998.

I don't think that nothing bad happening is proof positive that it's working. Color changes and other such nonsense are pretty useless, too. Unless you cut open a bunch of used filters before using it, drop the pan with out cleaning it to see how much sludge there is, and then compare the same after a seafoam treatment, you really have no proof that it works. Also, it's very hard to prove anything after acquiring a neglected engine. Did running a decent oil, a decent oil at short intervals, a few short intervals with a decent oil OR the seafoam clean things up?

IMO, like most additives, they market to those who want a quick fix in a bottle. If the acquired Volvo is running and not burning oil or smoking, then stick with regular changes with ANY decent oil - don't let the marketing fool you.

You are correct,they are not the same, but they are both volatile to many sealants, plastic and rubber which make them more alike than different if both were used in an engine flush.

Why do people assume that just because there is some sludgy deposits arount the filler neck that the whole engine is a mess ?

It is common for those to just gather in that area because of it's location to the rest of the engine and condensation/temps vary more there . Pull the valve cover , I'll bet you find it looks pretty clean in there .

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
I don't think that nothing bad happening is proof positive that it's working. Color changes and other such nonsense are pretty useless, too. Unless you cut open a bunch of used filters before using it, drop the pan with out cleaning it to see how much sludge there is, and then compare the same after a seafoam treatment, you really have no proof that it works. Also, it's very hard to prove anything after acquiring a neglected engine. Did running a decent oil, a decent oil at short intervals, a few short intervals with a decent oil OR the seafoam clean things up?

IMO, like most additives, they market to those who want a quick fix in a bottle. If the acquired Volvo is running and not burning oil or smoking, then stick with regular changes with ANY decent oil - don't let the marketing fool you.

Not to get off topic, but you are right and I hope you aren't an MMO fan because that is exactly the reason some people on here use to prove MMO obviously works.

Personally, if MMO can be considered a legit solution because over many years no major problems have been discovered, the same can be said about SeaFoam. It has a long history of happy customers.

I do not have any experience with Seafoam since I have not used the product, but I have used Pennzoil Platinum and MMO.

Pennzoil Platinum claims to clean 46% of the Sludge on the 1st OCI, and Pennzoil Ultra claims to clean 36% more than Pennzoil Platinum, so 46% times 36% equals 62%, so if my math is correct then Pennzoil Ultra should clean 62% of the Sludge on the 1st OCI.

I have been using Pennzoil Platinum and MMO now for about 10,000 miles, in about 7000 miles of using PP & MMO my Valvetrain was finally cleaned up, since I used both PP & MMO together it is hard to say which one did what.

I would probably give Pennzoil Platinum or Pennzoil Ultra a try for a few OCI's. I would expect that either oil would probably clean everything up inside the engine within about 10,000 miles or so.

Originally Posted By: brsmith
I don't necessarily like being grouped as a basher, because I am not.

I haven't been on here very long, but I have seen enough of your posts to know that you are almost the Joan of Arc of Seafoam. ;-}

If you want to spend $7 a pint for cutting oil, naptha and Isopropyl Alchol that is your right.

I know that your 5.7 has an issue with the PCV system and you are using the Seafoam to help dry your engine.

In reality, you would be better off just adding the alcohol without the Naptha if all you are wanting to do is absorb the moisture.

It is absolutely without question that Naptha is very volatile. It will eat plastic, rubber and dissolve many sealants.

It just puzzles me that Seafoam users might not consider that Seafoam is banking on the volatility of the Naptha will be offset by the additive package of the existing oil and the quantity of oil for damage not to occur. There is nothing in the Seafoam that neutralizes the volatility of the Naptha, so they are counting on the oil to resist it and evaporation to remove it.

I am in the opinion there are safer means to aid in cleaning the crankcase than using a product with Naptha, Isopropyl Alcohol and cutting oil.

To each his own.

I am not the Joan Of Arc of Seafoam. Because I don't let people make unsupported claims, tell me I am irresponsible for using it, or even go so far as to say I am on the Seafoam payroll I am somehow JOA?
21.gif
If that is the case and way it works then some of you are inquisitors from the Spanish Inquisition making assumptions and claims about the product unfounded.

I am just someone who has used it for decades with zero problems. I don't tell people to use it who are not interested. I am not pushing it on anyone. Just offering my experiences with it when the topic arises. I have never started a Seafoam thread. I see a lot of people saying it is bad who have never used it however and they do so based solely on the contents used to make it. That seems odd to me that anyone could trash a product with such a proven positive track record and not expect people to call them on it.

I am curious if any of the detractors have considered that the actual amounts of the ingrediant in question being used( that so many use to claim it is unsafe )are not unsafe and that as formulated it can do the job it is designed for and not hurt anything? Just because it has ingrediant X in it which can be bad to part Y in an engine( if you soak it for 5 years in it at 100% strength )does not mean that it will cause damage when used for a short span to do a job in the amount in Seafoam. You can use too much of certain things added to oil as additives which could cause harm if not used in the proper amounts too. When used properly they make the oil work and work well. No different with Seafoam and what it is made up of.

I actually wrote to Seafoam toa sk for technical assistance to answer some of the claims by the detractors here. I got a short answer with a little info and was told the guy is going to come here to answer questions himself. We will see. I was told the following components were used for the reasons given...

Naphtha oil = cleaning oil
Pale oil = a high temp lubricating oil
IPA = for moisture control

It was pointed out that carb cleaner and brake cleaner use other ingrediants/chemicals and the similar ones are not used in the same levels used in Seafoam. Again, formulation plays into it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tom slick
Originally Posted By: brsmith
http://cameochemicals.noaa.gov/chemical/21249

They are both Ketones and they both eat rubber.

but they are not the same chemical.

would it be okay if I also claim it has toluene and MEK in it?
In this thread, I did not say "seafoam has acetone in it" Sorry for the confusion I meant naphtha and I corrected that immediately.

You've claimed in many different threads that sea foam has acetone in it. Also I would like to hear the chemistry you know that will turn alcohol into an acid in motor oil.

Originally Posted By: Gator
I not not use it at all. Safer to use PP and let it do its job over time. 46% of sludge removed after first oil change; what more do you want?

I have to say bull malarky,, I think PP cleans better since it has more additives but 46%, hmmm I used PU and havent seen it in my engine although I am only about 20% into the run.

You have varnish though, different story.

Seafoam is just aliphatic solvent, IPA, and some light mineral oil.

B12-Chemtool is the one that contains ketone solvents.

This is great, Seafoam is mentioned and TWO people jump in with incorrect chemical ingredient information because they can't wait to stomp all over the idea of using it.

This is great, Seafoam is mentioned and TWO people jump in with incorrect chemical ingredient information because they can't wait to stomp all over the idea of using it.

How can you bash a product when you have not used it.

If you want to bash it, use the product and come back and post the results.

Originally Posted By: c3po

How can you bash a product when you have not used it.

If you want to bash it, use the product and come back and post the results.

AMEN!
34.gif

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

I am just someone who has used it for decades with zero problems

If I ever have any questions about Seafoam or if I think about using the product, I will definetly PM you, got alot out of your post.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back