I bought a 1985 Jaguar, and im gonna run 20W-50...

Status
Not open for further replies.
.. If i can be talked out of that, ill consider 10W-40, though Jag FForum says 20W-50. Here is Why: (Hello All.)

Here is a Factual Update, and ill tune in to watch the thread unfold, as im sure this is an interesting one:

1) "Red Oldsmobile" = Gone.. Hole in Piston. Proof: (If you choose to see a Pic of the Hole in the Piston, click on http://i635.photobucket.com/albums/uu72/jcorbi82/carpist2.jpg and http://i635.photobucket.com/albums/uu72/jcorbi82/CARPIS.jpg TY.) R.I.P. 1991 Calais. (Not related to Oil, i dont think.)

2) I bought a 1985 Jaguar XJ6 4.2L. It is an Inline-6.. and it has a MONSTROUS Oil CAPACITY of 8 or -9- QUARTS!!!
shocked2.gif

3) The Jaguar has 152,000 Miles, and SAT IN A DRIVEWAY for about ONE YEAR before I bought it; had Old Gas (Needed Fuel Pump and Filter,) Low Trans Fluid, And, of course.. OLD OIL!! it is still in there, but i havent driven it much.

CONCLUSION: I have read on a JAGUAR FORUM with Owners from Around the WORLD (jag-lovers.org) that 20W-50 is the PREFERRED and RECOMMENDED Oil for this car! (One guy uses 10W-40.) Apparently, this 25-year-old Car i have with decent Mileage (pictured in Sig) is a GOOD one!.. My Plan is to use 20W-50 Valvoline MaxLife -Synthetic Blend- in the Summer (MAYBE make a Mix to get it to "15W-45" with 10W-40 and 20W-50 using V.ML SB), and Valvoline Roush Full Synthetic 5W-50 for when Temperates Drop.

The MaxLife Formulation has been good to me.. and the reasons for the 20W-50 are primarily:

1) Jaguar recommends it in anything but Winter, then they recommend 10W-40;
2) This engine is of OLD Design, and likes the Thin Oil;
3) This engine USES "Some Oil" anyways, not a "Sludger," but an "Engine that burns some oil by its design,"
and 4) The engine Sounds, good, Runs Good, Feels Good, and has an Oil pressure gauge, for which it says "40Psi is normal" and "Relief Pressure is 65Psi," so I can keep an ee on things.

Now, im sure SOME will try to say "DONT DO THAT!!!" and some will say "Well if that is what Jaguar and MOST the people on the Jag Forum recommend, do it"... But No better place to ask than HERE!!

OK ill wrap up this post, this IS my new car ive had for a few Weeks.. Thanks fro the Insight, and ill pop back in later to add more info, as Jaguar DOES Recommend the Heavy Oil, like BMW!!!

OK, Hope this wasnt too long.. Thank You for letting me get the Info out.. ill read it during day, and make a much Smaller post this evening. Thank you Kindly - Joseph

Edit: This is the Jaguar I purchased
100_2664.jpg
Ill check back later for replies, Thanks.

Last edited:
I had a 1992 XJ-6 and ran 20W50 and it ran well. YOu are right it seems like a world wide thing. I would think a good 5W50 would also be a good, or maybe a better choice if you want to pay for synthetic. Also with expensive gas of today a 15W40 HDEO should also do a good job.

Nice car, but be prepared to do a bit of "wrenchin" on it.
Jag-Lovers.org will be your friend...

Last edited:
An old Jag? Really?

Wow...quite a change from an old Calais.....that's kinda cool!

I will warn you though, from what I've read, old British cars like this are expensive and time-consuming to keep on the road - you're going to be spending a LOT of time and money keeping this thing running.

Anyway, yeah, in the summer, 20W-50 for sure - one of the few 'proper' applications for this grade. In the winter, I'd use a slightly less-expensive 5W-40 HDEO, like Rotella T6 5W-40, instead of the Roush oil. Just an idea.

Max Life Syn Blend 20W50? Didn't even know they made it in that grade. You have this oil available on the shelf in Indiana? Seems like a good fit though.

Firstly, nice classic Jag...

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
I had a 1992 XJ-6 and ran 20W50 and it ran well. YOu are right it seems like a world wide thing. I would think a good 5W50 would also be a good, or maybe a better choice if you want to pay for synthetic. Also with expensive gas of today a 15W40 HDEO should also do a good job.

+1 on the 15W-40 HDEO consideration, although, I think MaxLife syn-blend 20W-50 is a pretty good oil IMHO...

You could also try Mobil1 10W-40 High Mileage oil in the winter months...

Wow. If you think it's expensive to oil the car with 9 quarts just wait until you get to the other things. Cost of ownership on that one is really high.

Wait until you get to the electronics... whew.

Last edited:
Hah! the old iron duke is dead. I love those old Jags. I'm sucker for british vehicles but I also can fix them myself when they break (which is often). If you want to go synthetic then mobil 1 15w50 should be top on your list as Walmart carries the 5 qt jugs.

I wouldn't spend the money on Mobil 1, a cheap HDEO will atleast save you some money to spend on other maintenance... Especially since its a 9 quart sump.

My fav 20w50 would Kendall GT1. It even has higher levels of ZDDP than others at about 1100ppm.

Otherwise a good 15w40 HDEO would work fine. Wal Mart around here has 2.5 gallon jugs of Rotella for under 25 bucks.

The Jaguar name has decent bragging rights, but a Ford Taurus of the same generation was a better car.
Good luck.

10-30? 10-40? 20-50? 10-60?

The REAL question is how do you pronounce JAGUAR?

I hope its better than the Ford my friend had from 1986. Electrical problems galore. It eventually burnt down in a manner that reminded me of my neighbors Fiero.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
The Jaguar name has decent bragging rights, but a Ford Taurus of the same generation was a better car.
Good luck.

The same way Clarkson does. Jag-you-are.
45.gif

Originally Posted By: BobFout
Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Good luck.

The same way Clarkson does. Jag-you-are.
45.gif

Actually... I differ on the Pronunciation!! This will be my 2nd Post, then im gonna just View for the day, keeping y Will in check, im safe so far...

BRITS: "Jag-YOU-Were."
("Jag-Yoo-Wuuh")

ME and AMERICANS: "Jag-GWAR!" (Like Beavis and Butthead - GWARR!" .. Normal "Jag-GWARR!"

And How DO i cnange my Handle to "JCJAGUARMOBILE"? I was gonna make it Joey Jag...

Happy 28th Birthday to ME, i CANT get the friggin' ALTERNATOR to charge!
frown.gif
.. so..

"It Starts." :)
.. And Runsd and Drives.. Battery Only.. but i wont elaborate here.. and not today.

Ending Post 2 "IM WITHIN MY LIMITS!" with a 2nd Jag pic.. then im gonna only Read for the rest of the day, so i dont revisit old no-nos of mine.

AND Dont let the Good Looks fool ya.. Reverse gave out on me while i was Backing Up next week.. i HOPE its something Simple!
frown.gif

Type to you all Tomorrow.

yes, its a "Leland Jaguar"... Seems i got it right with "15W-45" Mixed Synthetic Blend Valvoline ML.. hitting -send- now, TTYT.

JAG2.jpg

Originally Posted By: JCCADILLACMOBILE
AND Dont let the Good Looks fool ya.. Reverse gave out on me while i was Backing Up next week.. i HOPE its something Simple!
frown.gif

Probably something as simple as a new transmission, welcome to the insanity
56.gif

It must have the flux capacitor option as he bought the car in 2005 and brought it to present time. All he needs now is to go back to 1985 and source some Lucas spares.

The old saying went something like "If you own a Jaguar, you must own two..."

Does that year have the ZF or the GM tranmsission?

There are a lot of easy fixes for the electrical issues, again the forums are a huge help.

BTW, when my daughter was young she called it the Jag-wire.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back