I bought a 1985 Jaguar, and im gonna run 20W-50...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Does that year have the ZF or the GM tranmsission?

Neither. It is a 3-speed Borg-Warner.

Originally Posted By: Dieseldoctor
I have some 20w50 pennzoil racing oil i have no need for now if your interested give me a buzz i'll sale it cheap....

That`s the oil I was gonna suggest.........Pennzoil yb 20W50 or if your car needs the zinc,Pennzoil GT 25W50 which is supposed to have 1800 zddp.

Belive it or not before 98 they were solid cars, parts these days are very cheap for them. Look on ebay and car-part.com Its not like you have to fix ESP with distance sensing cruise control. Change all the fluids and enjoy the car.

Nice car. The Brits make them pretty!

Upkeep wont be as bad as some say. If you drive it daily and put miles on her, it'll need some attention, they just tend to be quirky.

Originally Posted By: TurboJim
Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Does that year have the ZF or the GM tranmsission?

Neither. It is a 3-speed Borg-Warner.

Correct. Borg-Warner 66, to be exact. :)

AND it doesnt have Reverse, gave out while i was backing up, i hope its something stupidly simple with the "Rear Band Nut" OR Fluid level OR Filter...

AND it doesnt have a Flux Capacitor, its just an XJ6..

AND --WAL MART DIDNT HAVE ANY 20W-50!!- Im Tempted to contact a Board Member
wink.gif
.. but i now have:

1) 2 Quarts 5-30 Valvoline FULL SYNTHETIC MaxLife (My leftover from Olds)
2) 5 Quarts Valvoline Maxife SYNTHETIC BLEND 10W-40, as WM was out of 20W-50 EVERYTHING..
3) 2 Quarts 20W-50 V.MaxLife SB

So it seems i have.. 14W-46?

Thats Post 1 today...

I hope it doesnt turn ALL the way into a JagGOOOOOar. (Jag-YOU-Were...) JAg-GWAR!!!

Originally Posted By: SEBZX79
Belive it or not before 98 they were solid cars, parts these days are very cheap for them. Look on ebay and car-part.com Its not like you have to fix ESP with distance sensing cruise control. Change all the fluids and enjoy the car.

Does my Engine need the Zinc, or not?

I thought it was an SOHC engine.. meaning "DOESNT' need Extra Zing, the API SM level is ok.. yes or No?

.. 4.2L Inline-6, 8 or 9 QUARTS!!! 1985...

EDIT: Post 2.. Coming back Later.

Im Glad yall like my Jag-GWAR!! i liken it to in the same ballpark as that 75 Corvette that that owner BETTER leaver Bone Stock.. Only mess with the messed-up BEATERS! :D

Ill take an 82, as thats when I was BorN AND the Last Stingray... AND Special Edition for last year.. !!!

Later yall. Thanks. And Thanks for "ZDDP more than API SM, Yea or Nea" update.. the Oil i use has 1000 PPM (V MaxLife Synth Blend)

Last edited:
I'd just toss in all the oil you have.

I did a VERY rough 'calculation', and your mix is around 15.1cst @100C, so it is a 'solid' 40-weight....and 'overall, it's actually an '11W-40'...LOL

It will work well. I'd be very concerned about the tranny at this point!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back