Auto-Rx crankcase oil treatment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was surprised doing a search, to find no specific reference in the first few pages; to the Auto-Rx oil treatment; http://www.auto-rx.com/>.

I was recommended this from someone at the http://www.fordfestiva.com> web site; who'd had extensive experience with automotive oil and had done quite a bit of research including his own testing of various products: Who'd gone by "dark dan" at the website and operated a commercial interest in Alberta selling various automotive oil related products. An Amsoil dealer; he'd given me solid confidence about using the STILKO filter on my car, as well as definitely recommending the Auto-Rx treatment.

I did the treatment on my '91 Ford Festiva about 20,000 miles ago at around 150,000 miles I've been using the STILKO toilet paper oil filter on since about 85,000 miles: Which is supposed to be the only oil treatment which also cleans the motor's rings as well as removing sludge from the crankcase and generally cleaning the internals of the engine.

I'd like to know of anyone else's experiences with this particular oil treatment; mostly out of curiosity, and to give myself more confidence recommending the product to a friend, interesting in getting as many miles as possible out of his '89 Mazda which has about 180,000 miles currently.

No, nobody here has ever heard of Auto-Rx. It is just a complete coincidence that that are a sponser here at the site.

Go to the Oil Additives section. Lots of talk there.

Last edited:
36.gif

I have used Auto-Rx to extend the useful life of powertrain components. It is especially useful in neglected vehicles that have had poor service. It is in these that the most noticeable improvements can be found. Even in well-maintained engines, I have found noticeable improvements in compression and power after treatment. I have used it to fix a few transmissions and powersteering systems that were starting to give trouble. It is not a miracle cure-all, but one of the best tools in my chemical "toolbox", so to speak.

Don't waste your money on Auto-RX. Use a quality oil with a good add pack for excellent cleaning ability.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Many here have used it. Some have seen visible results and some have not.

+1

I had better results with MMO. Not bashing A-Rx, just sharing my experience with it. Initially it had stopped an oil leak, which MMO was unable to do, and the reason for me trying A-Rx. Towards the very end of the second rinse phase, the leak had slowed down, perhaps even stopped. The oil leak came back shortly after the final rinse with the maint dose added to the oil, and continues some 20,000 miles later. MMO did a better job cleaning. Opinions vary.

I use it in both of my current vehicles and my old 1996 cavalier. I started both of my vehicles on it at about 15-17,000 miles after only running synthetics since new. I haven't had the need to do clean and rinse on these, but I did on my older Cavalier. On my 2 newer cars, just the maintenance dose provided improvements in MPGs and idling fuel consumption.

On my older cavalier that got a clean and rinse (I think it was around 100k mi), it improved compression by about 15% to the point the MPGs became the best they ever were and I also had that car since new. My parents still drive the cavalier and with the maintenance dose it has been holding steady in compression numbers and MPGs for I think about 70,000 miles since the clean and rinse.

The product works if there is something to clean. Every car is different. It is pricey. It can't fix mechanical issues.

Last edited:
Neither ARX, MMO, Rislone, or anything elso or fix a mechanical problem or an engine design problem.

So from Slow to Fast engine cleaners here is a synopsis.

Auto-RX does a slow clean of ring packs and other components, and provides a reduction in friction in engines thought to have bad ring pack deposits or used vehicles of unknown history.

Other here will tell you that Rislone and MMO does a quick engine clean. I have my doubts as to the efficacy of that but would use MMO as a fuel enhancer if I didn't have access to anything else.

Then there are the very "quicky" engine flushes such as AMSOIL and the "Gunk" type flushes.

Each has a different chemistry approach to cleaning.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer
No, nobody here has ever heard of Auto-Rx. It is just a complete coincidence that that are a sponser here at the site.

No, they are not nor will they ever be again.

Originally Posted By: greenaccord02

Why wouldn't they ever be a sponsor again?

Originally Posted By: marcre
Originally Posted By: greenaccord02

Why wouldn't they ever be a sponsor again?

You'd have to ask the site owner.

That comment wasn't directed to you. I only said that because I don't want to put words in Helen's mouth. Nobody said it was secret. It's common knowledge, as you say.

thanks, this thread has been helpful and informative. Where I'll get my friend to study the available product literature about Auto-Rx from the manufacturer.

I think the main thing is to study the condition of his spark plugs while trying to reasonably gauge the wear on such things as the rod and main bearings, without tearing into the motor.

I'm wondering if the Auto-Rx would eliminate oil burning by cleaning the rings? He says he is using oil; an elderly though active man sixty-eight years old.

We visit occasionally, but live about a thousand miles distant; who I think has had his car maintained commercially...so his notion he "burns" oil is based entirely on increased consumption. I've never noticed any signs the car really is burning any oil at all.

His '89 Mazda 626 seems likely to have a similar design engine to the '91 Ford Festiva I drive; so I'm trying to reason about that as I do about mine.

I'm telling him to save his current plugs; to compare to a color, photographic chart showing various types of spark plug conditions and what these represent in terms of the motor's function and "health." If we're lucky the oil use will be due to leaking rather than any hopelessly chronic engine wear.

I'm suggesting if reasonable, he do the Auto-Rx treatment cycles for a higher mileage vehicle, and then buy himself a STILKO toilet paper oil filter; to greatly prolong the useful life of his car's motor.

He has already replaced a couple of defective automatic transmissions, until ending up with one which gives excellent service; who obviously likes the car and whose budget would likely be significantly dented having to replace that.

I don't know much about STILCO filters, but the claim this:

[The only reason you cahnge the oil in your automobile is because the oil gets dirty and contaminated. Oil does not wear out or break down.
The present oil filter on your automobile removes about 60% of the particles from your oil. The remaining 40% keeps circulating through your engines and wearing it out.
The gums, resins, varnishes and sludge are formed by acid in oil.
Present day oil filters do not cool oil. Cooler oil provides better lubrication and engine performance. ]

If you believe this, I think you'll love what Frank (Arx) has to say!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back