Purolator pulling a FRAM???

Status
Not open for further replies.
For many years I've been using Purolator Premium
Plus L34631 oil filters in my truck (Chevy 6.2L).

I bought a brand new Purolator filter the other
day, and put it in this afternoon. It seemed a
little odd until I compared it to the old one
(last years Purolator L34631). The new filter is
a full 1" shorter than the old one.

Is Purolator pulling a FRAM? Remember when FRAM
shortened up the can on their filters for 2.2L
Chrysler engines which impeded the oil flow and
starved a whole bunch of those engines to death?

The oil filter pickup tube on my 6.2L is pretty
long, and if the shorter can is going to impede
the oil flow I gotta get that thing off of there.

Has anyone else seen the new shorter oil filters?

What the **** is Purolator thinking???

I think the filters are getting shorter due to better filter element. The new filter will perform well for you.

Originally Posted By: beast3300
I think the filters are getting shorter due to better filter element. The new filter will perform well for you.

+1

Purolators both P1 and regular are better built than the OCOD. The exception would be the Extended Guard (really well built filter, but P1 is about a buck cheaper).

Dave

Purolator has downsized some of their filters like the rest of merchandising. I honestly don't know how they get away with it though since I thought every part number was based on an OEM spec.

Not really sure Puro is trying to "get away" with anything. As an example, Motorcraft/FoMoCo has shortened several of their filter application sizes. Not sure if that applies here but it is a possibilty.

fwiw, a dissection and report by a member (IIRC, fordiesel??) said the amount of media in the new shortened FL 820S was the same as the longer version, and MC had 'done it right'. Also some members (as mentioned) have reported greater ease of access, installation and removal with the shortened version(s).

But, as has been suggested, call, or shoot Purolator an email through their website and ask them. They have generally been responsive to members inquires.

Lastly, when I read the title I thought it was about Purolator switching to the use of "engineered media" as endcaps rather then metal. Now that would really be call for alarm.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Not really sure Puro is trying to "get away" with anything. As an example, Motorcraft/FoMoCo has shortened several of their filter application sizes. Not sure if that applies here but it is a possibilty.

fwiw, a dissection and report by a member (IIRC, fordiesel??) said the amount of media in the new shortened FL 820S was the same as the longer version, and MC had 'done it right'. Also some members (as mentioned) have reported greater ease of access, installation and removal with the shortened version(s).

But, as has been suggested, call, or shoot Purolator an email through their website and ask them. They have generally been responsive to members inquires.

Lastly, when I read the title I thought it was about Purolator switching to the use of "engineered media" as endcaps rather then metal. Now that would really be call for alarm.
grin2.gif

I would have LAUGHED my you know what off.

Originally Posted By: defektes

grin2.gif

Or even worse, "engineered media" end caps with Ecore tube! ...
crazy2.gif

Last year the L10193 Classic had 2/3 of the media the old Premium Plus had. Better or worse? Anybody's guess. I have been chopping filters open for over 10 years and seen a steady decline of how much media. Not only is their less in any given number, the auto manufacturers are specifying smaller and smaller filters.

They are also packing the media in tighter.

There is little proof oil filters do much and that the newer, smaller filters cause any problems.

Originally Posted By: minnesotatv

Is Purolator pulling a FRAM? Remember when FRAM
shortened up the can on their filters for 2.2L
Chrysler engines which impeded the oil flow and
starved a whole bunch of those engines to death?

I assume you are talking about the PH3614 or PH16, I have never heard of this shortened can with the 2.2L. Can you please elaborate?

Not sure what a pickup tube has to do with the oil filer? Purolator already had the most filter area at least in my size. This might not be too bad, but I'd be interested to see if any changes were made in construction. Motorcraft filters are made by Purolator BTW so that is why they would have gotten shorter.

Originally Posted By: SuperBusa
Originally Posted By: defektes

grin2.gif

Or even worse, "engineered media" end caps with Ecore tube! ...
crazy2.gif

I am sure the engineers in Germany are playing catch up with Champ now. It is only a matter of time.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Its just a very bit shorter, won't make any difference

the new L34631 I bought last week is 1" shorter
than last years L34631. 5.25" vs 4.25".

Remember when FRAM shortened up the can on their filters for 2.2L Chrysler engines which impeded the oil flow and starved a whole bunch of those engines to death?

First I heard of it, and I owned a 2.2-powered Sundance for about a decade. Did you hear that from someone who heard it from someone else who knows a mechanic who read it online somewhere?

What the **** is Purolator thinking???

How about "Let's try to lower our manufacturing costs since the economy is tanking and supplies are expensive, and we have the know-how to make a product as good as it used to be with better yet less media"?

Originally Posted By: labman

I am sure the engineers in Germany are playing catch up with Champ now. It is only a matter of time.

lol.gif
... catch up to failure? I doubt it.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
I'm starting to think labman more than just wanting to buy American, doesn't like Germany lol.

Yep ... ethnic skeletons are alive. It's so obvious.

Originally Posted By: SuperBusa
Originally Posted By: mechanicx
I'm starting to think labman more than just wanting to buy American, doesn't like Germany lol.

Yep ... ethnic skeletons are alive. It's so obvious.
Yes, it's safe to say they can be added to the hate list that has been previously posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back