Top End of a 1988 Honda 650

Status
Not open for further replies.
This past fall, I purchased a Honda NX650 with just over 20,000 miles on the odometer. I am tearing into the bike, to make sure that it is ship-shape for another....at least 30k miles.

NX1.jpg

After pulling the engine, I dove in to the top end. I couldn't believe how clean this air cooled engine was. Wish I knew what oils had been poured in over the past 20k.

Picture024.jpg

Picture028-1.jpg

By the way, for the first 500 miles I have owned the bike, I ran Delo 15w40.

Couple more pics.....

Picture003-3.jpg

Picture035-1.jpg

That's the RFVC head right? I would have popped out the rocker adjuster covers, peeked inside, see how clean is was, and buttoned it right back up!

Don't know what was used in the past, but any quality dino HDEO in 15-40 will make that engine last well past 100k miles. Those engines are quite robust.

Clearly, you've ventured into the "joy of wrenching" to assure yourself the sanctity of knowning the thing will not strand you somewhere. I did that once with my son on a older working lawn mower engine; the best way to start anyone into the understanding of ICEs.

Nice to see hands on guys doing some wrenching.

The engine top end looks great. That engine design has been around for a quite a while. Honda have some very successful off road and dual purpose bikes based on the same engine. Reliability is excellent.

While you've got it torn down, are you planning wheel bearing, swing arm bushing, fork seal, steering head bearing replacement and rebuilding the brake caliper/fresh pads? Those items are most likely to need attention before the engine will.

I've built a couple early 1970s two stroke Yamahas that got the full treatment. They run better than new!

Good luck with your project. Show us some pics when you're done.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
That's the RFVC head right? I would have popped out the rocker adjuster covers, peeked inside, see how clean is was, and buttoned it right back up!

+1 those engines are very reliable.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back