Trunk or roof mounted?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking of adding a rack to my Balt to go biking in my local area. I like the trunk mounted, as you can take it off pretty quick.

But, people who have the roof mounted ones rave about them. Which one do you like better?

The roof mounts cut into gas mileage on long trips.... and the famous "Iowa Avenue" viaduct in Iowa City shears a lot of them right off the top of cars every week it seems like.

The trunk mounts may make it slower to open your trunk or tailgate, but catch a lot less wind if you are on a long vacation.

The "trailer hitch" mounts are VERY sturdy and secure, swing quickly out of the way for access to the back of your vehicle and are easiest to put on and off...both the bikes and the rack itself.

Their advantage is greatest for those of us that already have trailer hitches on our vehicles. In the event that I am actually towing my boat and want to take along my bike, the bike goes in the boat!!

I just borrowed a coworkers Sarris. Holds three adult bikes (although I think he converted it from 2 adult, one child). Not bad, I liked it. I did put the bikes as far back as possible, so that the hatch on my wagon would open. My mpg's took a big hit--looking at it, it's almost like towing a trailer. I almost think it might be worse areodynamically than bikes on top, as the bikes are pulled sideways through the air. But no lifting a bike onto the car.

The one thing I noticed was on my bike, where I have fenders, the Sarris requires partial dissasembly of the front fender. Not that much fun. No fenders, and I think it's a great setup. Fenders, and the top tube hold-down setup is probably better. My coworker has this high end carbon-fiber MTB, so he could not use the top tube hold-down setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back