1998 Buick LeSabre Power Steering Fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm, interesting. I guess a good ATF might only meet some, but not all, of those. I wasn't too impressed with PSF when I did many drain/fill cycles to replace the factory fill. That's why I went to a semi-synthetic Dex-III ATF. I may try something like the Amsoil or Redline PSF for the next drain/fill cycle.

I've been using ATF without issue for thousands of miles.
21.gif
It appears to be a YMMV issue...

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Hmm, interesting. I guess a good ATF might only meet some, but not all, of those. I wasn't too impressed with PSF when I did many drain/fill cycles to replace the factory fill. That's why I went to a semi-synthetic Dex-III ATF. I may try something like the Amsoil or Redline PSF for the next drain/fill cycle.

I've been using ATF without issue for thousands of miles.
21.gif
It appears to be a YMMV issue...

Hey, Sciphi. I figure you're probably right.

I searched BITOG and can't find any threads about Redline PSF. I may start a thread on that topic later tonight or tomorrow a.m. if nothing by then.

No real reason for it... I guess if I'm gonna kill it, I overkill it. Maybe it's the value thing; .70 a quart difference from GM pn PSF oil to RL... cost comparison is a lot more favorable than most mineral oil to RL comparisons.

And since I have to mail order most things in our here in "bear country"... well I dunno. We'll see.

Maybe I'll be the test case and let everyone know if it starts drooling or giving other problems. Though I haven't read much in here bad about RL except maybe prices!

LS

It might be good stuff but I'm leery of any fluid that claims to meet Dexron and type F specs, two very different ATFs AND PSF spec. Sounds bogus that one fluid could really simultaneously meet specs with completely different fluid additives specs and properties. Why not just use a dedicated PSF like Valvoline?

The dedicated PSF's leave a bit to be desired in cold-weather performance, at least in my GM car. Also, an ATF meets some sort of specification for performance. The garden-variety PSF available at Wal-Mart or many auto parts stores has a murky paragraph about "designed for GM and Ford". Yeah, I could put parking lot oil runoff into a bottle and call it GM PSF, for all I know what is in there. The ATF seems to be a better fit, at least in my 11 year old Buick, and to my mind.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
It might be good stuff but I'm leery of any fluid that claims to meet Dexron and type F specs, two very different ATFs AND PSF spec. Sounds bogus that one fluid could really simultaneously meet specs with completely different fluid additives specs and properties. Why not just use a dedicated PSF like Valvoline?

I've always felt this type of car kind of has heavy power steering - especially when cold. So I thought maybe synthetic fluid could help with that. RL PSF is apparently a dedicated power steering fluid.

That it can meet both specs... Could this be because it's made with gr 4 or 5 base stock? In any case, Redline seems to have a very good reputation in BITOG, so I'm wondering if they would be making claims they can't back up. I'm gonna say: "I doubt it".

Thank you for your input. Valvo is certainly a lot easier to get and less expensive.

L

Originally Posted By: sciphi
The dedicated PSF's leave a bit to be desired in cold-weather performance, at least in my GM car. Also, an ATF meets some sort of specification for performance. The garden-variety PSF available at Wal-Mart or many auto parts stores has a murky paragraph about "designed for GM and Ford". Yeah, I could put parking lot oil runoff into a bottle and call it GM PSF, for all I know what is in there. The ATF seems to be a better fit, at least in my 11 year old Buick, and to my mind.

Sciphi,

I've driven several of these types of cars. I sure agree that the power steering can be a bit heavy - especially when cold.

I'm leaning towards the RL hoping it's made with some synthetic base stock. I'll let you know if it eases the heavy steering.

Then too, if ATF does the same thing, why bother? Well, the stuff that's in there is burnt. Almost certainly never been changed or even checked. And probably never will be again.

So maybe that justifies the RL with supposedly higher temp capabilities.

Or more likely, it's my BITOG ocd getting the better of me again.

Well, if nothing is wrong with the car, I should definitely dump some overpriced oil on it!
wink.gif

L

Dont get the prestone psf, walmart and other places sell it. It was very thick when it was cold, -20F. I have been using amsoil psf. The price isnt to much more than atf anyways. Amsoil psf preferred customer price is 9.60 per qt. and 12.80 if your not.

I don't question that Redline uses good base oil. It's the aditives and actually meeting specs that I question. When they say one fluid meets Dexron and type F specs this is bogus because the two have contradictory additive packs and then to say it is also GM PSF. Just having a good base oil and a one-size-fits-all add pack doesn't cut it. I can understand wanting to have a good base oil with a high VI, resistances to heat etc, but give me the fluid with the proper additive packs and other specs of the OE requirement.

GM markets a synthetic/cold weather PSF. I think Valvoline's PSF seems to work good in GM PS systems.

10bears, changing the old PSF with camel snot would be an improvement! :) Nothing worse than 12-year-old PSF in the mornings...

Either way, any Amsoil or Redline PSF would be an improvement over the slop in there now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back