Change Pads when Replacing Rotors & Bad Pads?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I question the information on this website due to their insistence that warped rotors are common, which they are not. However, is the following true?

Place for Brakes FAQ

Q: Are metallic pads damaging to rotors?
A: Yes, they can be. If you examine a cheaply made metallic pad you can see and feel the size of wire and steel particles in the mix on the pad. Then you compare it to a premium brake pad and the face of the pad is smooth and uniform in the mixture. Which in turn keeps the face of the rotor smooth and does not excessively ware down the rotor.

Should I change the pads when I replace the rotors on my ’94 Grand Am? There is > 50% pad thickness remaining. There is substantial vibration under braking & the grooves in the rotor are clearly visible & can be easily felt. I haven't looked at the pads yet for cracks which would obviously mean replacement.

BTW, I was curious about OEM rotors from GM. They are $91 each at the local dealership (~$50 online) & made in China. I was quite surprised at that combination. ATE PremiumOne Slotted rotor, Centric 120.62034, Power Slot 126.62034SR/SL, etc. – all China. I didn’t want cross-drilled, slotted style. I’m probably going with EBC (made in UK) UPR7054 solid vented rotors ~$75-90/set (OEM replacement) since I can’t come up with much information on the Brembo 27029 (made in???) or even 67029 (made in???) solid vented rotors (OEM replacement).

On the opposite end, I have never changed or “turned” the rotors on my ’02 Accord with new pads (couple sets). I see that claimed quite frequently as well including at the EBC website. I imagine that a great portion of that recommendation is based upon fewer complaints, etc. & no true defined need in every case.

the ACDelco's the dealer are selling are not the originals anymore. They are "lower" priced than th e originals and not that good for the price IMO. If want good rotors for the price, get some Raybestos advanced technology rotors, which are made in USA or Canada and they paint the hub and vented section.

I think it would be a good idea to change the pads. I think raybestos adv technology pads work pretty good. Although their ceramic professional grade seem to be about as good quality.

The cooling of the rotor too rapidly & uneven is what warps rotor. Drilled rotors are for racers & poser's. Having a gas groove can be beneficial on a rotor if you do some track lapping days. Its perfectly fine to re-use a brake pad providing the is no leading edge wear taper. If tapered they will have uneven pressure on the caliper pistons & rattle. Used pads are great for breaking in the rotor with out the worries of new pad gassing & causing fade. Drilled rotors are short lived & most have them for reasons of vanity at the expense of durability. Factory outfitted cars w/drilled rotors cost $80,000+ and in every case are a brake maintenence nightmare. I cut my own gas grooves in with a cutoff wheel. [img:center]
ygp5E70.jpg
[/img]

The Raybestos rotors I looked at in Carquest were made in China.
I prefer to not buy from Rockauto for many things since I can't inspect prior to purchase.

I guess I should take off the pads & take pictures...

I use EBC UPR standard fare. Great rotors, regardless of price.

For your application expect to pay under $40 each with free shipping.

Many online stores have EBC drop ship them.

Change the pads if you can.

I usually use Performance Friction, which are not ceramic but have good stopping power, last, are easy on the rotors and have very little dust. They can be had for a good deal usually on Amazon.
http://www.performancefriction.com/pages/about_pfc.htm

I have also had good luck with Satisfied Pro Ceramics.
http://www.satisfiedbrakes.com/brakes/index.html#

I did just buy a pair of Wagner ThermoQuiet pads for my daughter in laws '07 Corolla. There is a $30 ($15 front, $15 back) rebate which makes them more attractive. After driving the Corolla and the feedback back from my son, they seem a-ok.

As with anything shop for price, Most online places have fast service and free shipping.

Rebate
http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/00/00/07/61/75/22/761752250._V216161103_.pdf

I bought Raybestos "Advanced Technology" rotor for my Ford Windstar and am quite impressed with them after just under a year with them.
I put Akebono Ceramic pads on......again happy with them.

Keep in mind that Raybestos has 3 grades.....
Service Grade, least expensive
Professional Grade, their mid-tier product
Advanced Technology, their premium product.

As mentioned, Raybestos Advanced Technology rotors have the painted hub and ends.......which the other 2 grades do not have.

The other choice you have is Ceramic or Semi-metalic pads.
As mentioned at the begining of the original post......not all Semi-metalic pads are created equal.......
The same can be said for Ceramic......a $30 ceramic may not satify you as well as a $55 ceramic.

Raybestos has both Semi-metalic and Ceramic in their Advanced Technology line of pads.....
I have not used either, but believe that they would be good quality.

YES, if your rotors are grooved......I would replace the pads.....and most likely the rotor (unless you can have them turned).
I prefer to replace rather than turn a rotor....but you might have some that have most of their thickness left....with very light grooves.....which might be a good candidate for turning.
I don't like the idea of turning when you are getting anywhere close to the minimum thickness.

Also, if only 1 pad.....or only 1 side is messed up......one should replace all pads on both sides........keeping both sides of the vehicle matched up in braking charactoristics.

Originally Posted By: willix
The Chinese rotors hold up just fine. As good as any of them the only difference being $$.

Not my experience AT ALL. All iron is not created equal- low quality stuff full of impurities will definitely warp faster.

The Advanced Technology rotors I installed on my Caravan were made in China and the Professional Grade semi-metallic pads were made in India. The Chinese rotors "looked" better than the previous North American made Raybestos they replaced.

IMO, brake components are a toss up these days. What works for one person under their conditions may not be equal for someone else. This sucks.

+1 what Wiswind said for my needs.

Originally Posted By: hate2work

Willix, you cut your own grooves in your rotors?
shocked2.gif

Did you see any improvement in stopping power?
It's not so shocking, & very easy to do with a die grinder with cut off wheel. Gas grooves provide a vent for pad gassing of new pads. The gas from the adhesive that bonds the material can hold the pad off the surface of the rotor. It doesn't improve but prevents this conditon from occuring. This is not needed for normal street driving.

Last edited:
ben - Replace the pads. If they are shooting at you and you have to get away, then no. But for anything else get new pads.

My standard recommendation is cheap plain Chinese rotors, and the best pads you can obtain.
By 'plain' rotors, I men no outside grooves or drilled holes. Internal venting is standard and great.

I just put Raybestos Advanced Technology rotors on my mom's 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The rotors were made in China.

Yet somehow the Chinese replacement rotors didn't warp, whereas the Canadian built MOPAR rotors warp like made in a very short period of time.

I guess where it is made doesn't always assure quality.

On the Saturn it seems all rotors will warp.

I got the car with Oreilly's rotors that were warped and I guess the rotors on before that had warped, but not sure.

I got Wearevers and new pads from AAP and they warped on me in about 5 months. I used the 2 year warranty and replaced them with the same (thinking I got defective) and they warped with a few weeks.

Now I'm trying to replace them with Wagners but they said I already made a claim on the warranty and they wont exchange them a 2nd time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back