Redline Transmission and Diff fluids for S2000

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am going to replace manual transmission fluid and differential fluid of 2004 Honda S2000. The car has only 32k miles after 6+ years, it is driven mostly short trips less than 5-10 miles in sunny Southern California.

I am thinking of mixing Reline MTL and MT-90 or should I just use either MTL or MT-90 ? Redline 75W90 Gear Oil for differential is a good idea ?

Amsoil has very good MTF and severe gear 75W90 or 75W110 are very good, but I would like to buy Redline from Amazon.com for reason that I have $25 Amazon gift card I need to use.

If other transmission and gear fluids available from Amazon.com I should considered, please point it out too.

First off redline products are just awesome. I would probably use the MT-90 myself and yes the redline 75-90 in the diff. You wont be sorry with redline products especially in the that MT.....super silky smooth

What is the spec for the trans? I found in my BMW that amsoil has held up better than redline.

Honda recommends Honda MTF for the transmission, if not available then motor oil 10W30 or 10W40 can be used as temporary replacement. The capacity is 1.7 quarts.

For differential, Honda recommends GL5 or GL6 SAE-90 hypoid gear oil. The capacity is 0.8 quarts.

I'm thinking of ordering 2 quarts MT-90 for transmission and 1 quart 75W90 for differential tomorrow or the day after tomorrow from Amazon, if someone can think of better choices please let me know before I place the order.

TIA

Last edited:
I'd then likely run Amsoil synchromesh 5w30 in the MT, and severe gear 75w-90 in the diff... personally.

The problem with Amsoil is Amazon doesn't carry it. I would like yo use the Amazon gift card that I have laying around for sometimes now. If I don't have the gift card, I would choose Amsoil MTL and severe gear 75w-90.

GL-6 may be obsoleted but it was in the 2004 manual. I think Redline 75W90 gear oil is GL-5, am I wrong ?

Hello HTSS_TR. I know many have tried RL tranny fluids either mixed or separated in the S2000 (AP2), with varying results based on climate. I say give it a try and report back with the results.

As far as RL 75W-90 GL5 in the S2000 diff goes, I think there are much better options (like AMSOIL SVT, M1 or LE 1605). I have only seen one UOA of RL 75W-90 in the S2000 and it was totally unacceptable IMO. Save the gift card for your wife's/GF's birthday present!

Redline MTL is a replacement choice for Honda MTF.

Since the rear end has issues, I'd use the Redline 75w140 or a 50:50 blend of the 75w90/75w140 to thicken up the fluid.

Another easy choice is Amsoils' MTF and 75w110.

Redline or Amsoil are both super.

I prestntly have Amsoil and it seems to be getting better and better, not wearing out.

In your car, the Redline MTL or Amsoil MTF should be just about perfect.

Should you mix? Well, it depends. Does your tranny like thinner or thicker? Is is at it's best cold or hot? If for sure it likes thicker, than mix. If you are not sure, use the straight Synchromesh types.

Originally Posted By: INDYMAC
Hello HTSS_TR. I know many have tried RL tranny fluids either mixed or separated in the S2000 (AP2), with varying results based on climate. I say give it a try and report back with the results.

As far as RL 75W-90 GL5 in the S2000 diff goes, I think there are much better options (like AMSOIL SVT, M1 or LE 1605). I have only seen one UOA of RL 75W-90 in the S2000 and it was totally unacceptable IMO. Save the gift card for your wife's/GF's birthday present!

Hello INDYMAC, so you're recommending AMSOIL SVT 75W90 (or 75W100?) or M1 75W90 in place of Redline 75W90 ?

It looks like for transmission fluid either Amsoil MTF or Redline MTL or MT-90 are good for So Cal mild climate ?

For differential, Amsoil severe gear 75W90 or 75W110 is better than Redline 75W90 ? How about M1 75W90 ?

Currently, the car has GM Synchromesh Friction Modified and Castrol 75W90 since spring 2004 with about 2k miles on Odometer.

Well, I've tried several tranny fluids and I like the new Honda MTF so far the best. Others that I've used ar GMSMFM, original Honda MTF, and a 60/40 mix of AMSOIL MTF/MTG. The only UOA I've seen in S2000 was of new Honda MTF and it looked fine. Some say it sheared, but I think it starts out thin (75W-80 maybe?). If you want to try the RL, then I would go with the MTL first and then decide if you want to go with the thicker MT-90.

As far as diff oil goes, M1 75W-90 is probably the most popular in the S2000. Few complaints other than gear whine, but the UOA I've seen looks great. AMSOIL SVG 75W-90 and SVT 75W-110 look great on paper, I just haven't seen a UOA of either in a AP1 or AP2 yet to verfify what is going on. If I were to go blind into it I would choose the SVT to try first. My personal favorite is LE1605 (SAE 110). The UOA that I have from that looks very promising and has been better (wear) than anything else on first look.

Last edited:
SAE%20J306.JPG

Up until June 2005, an SAE 90 (GL-5 or not) gear oil could be as thick as a modern day SAE 110.
This fact, combined with a 240 hp engine, a small 7" ring, in a small diff holding less than a quart of gear oil makes me reach the conclusion that using a modern day SAE 75W-90 (around 15 cSt) in the S2000 diff is "asking for trouble down the road".
IMO the modern day equivalent of SAE 90 is at least 75W-110.
But that's just me.

INDYMAC, Thanks a lot for you insights. I will make some phone calls to local Honda dealers to price the new Honda MTF, I have a quart M1 75W90 in my garage so I just use it for now.

SpitfireS, I will try out M1 75W90 for now, if it does not perform well in summer heat I'll try Amsoil 75W110.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: silverrat
Isn't GL-6 now obsolete? Can you buy it anywhere?

Some boutique brands still carry that (now defunct) rating on their labels (i.e.; Torco RGO/SGO).

Old thread back to life !

I had M1 75W90 and newer Honda MTF for 2 years. The shift is very smooth with engine cold and hot.

cant never go wrong with redline with it come to drive train fluid. I note amsoil making chatter noise on my brother bmw , after doing some searching on bmw forum, 99% peoples recomment redline, order 2 quart, his rear end is quiet on first time driving it. this is another reason i put redline is my # 1 fluid when it come to drive train.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: silverrat
Isn't GL-6 now obsolete? Can you buy it anywhere?

Some boutique brands still carry that (now defunct) rating on their labels (i.e.; Torco RGO/SGO).

That, and Richmond Gear brand oil, but I have only seen 75w140 grade oil from Richmond Gear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back