Sea Foam Trans Tune?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have a car with a rebuilt transmission that has been diagnosed as having a sticky valve in the valvebody. I changed the fluid and filter and put in Maxlife and it has gotten better, but still is not cured. I was wondering if anyone has used Sea Foam's Trans Tune to clean out an auto trans before. Otherwise I will have to do another fluid and filter swap again and will go with more Maxlife.

Trans tune and regular sea foam are the same exact product, just trans tune cost more. So if your going that route just get reg seafaom. It may help with your issue. Run it a few hundred then flush or exchange all the fluid

Originally Posted By: DieselTech
Trans tune and regular sea foam are the same exact product, just trans tune cost more. So if your going that route just get reg seafaom. It may help with your issue. Run it a few hundred then flush or exchange all the fluid

Well I know the color is different so maybe the formula changed a bit or they just added dye. At the local store the difference is about a buck, so I will probably just buy the Trans Tune.

Originally Posted By: DieselTech
It is just dye, save a couple bux

but it's only a buck!

Are you by any chance having an issue with your torque converter lockup solenoid? My cousin had a Grand Prix that had that issue, pull up to a stop sign and the engine would stall, torque converter didn't unlock. He got lucky with his, did a pan drop, changed the filter and added new fluid. After a couple of days of driving it was working fine again, the new fluid must have cleaned whatever crud was causing the solenoid to stick.
I think if I were you I would give the Trans Tune a try, what have you got to loose? Dump it in, put a few hundred miles and do another fluid change.

Last edited:
No its being stubborn about going into overdrive. Works about 90% of the time after about 20 minutes of driving. When its cold, and especially this winter its 50/50.

It has a rebuilt transmission in it with only 20k on it. But I looked at the case once and saw the tag says "Rebuilt in Mexico". The old fluid was pretty dirty for that short of a run. Im guessing that the factory in Mexico did not clean out the cores and parts as well as they should.

Your car will not go into overdrive unless the engine is up to operating temperature, most have to be above 140-160 degrees.
I had one that wouldn't go into overdrive, all it ended up needing was a new thermostat, it was opening to soon.

It is well up to operating temperature and still not going into overdrive all the time. Im talking it takes me from my house to the highway plus 20 miles to get it to shift into overdrive somedays. It's running for over 30 minutes before it goes in. Warms up fine as it got a new thermostat when we put a new motor in it less than 10k ago.

Bought a can tonight at the local Thiessens store. It was the same price as regular sea foam at 6.49 a can.

When I drop the pan next time (after adding the trans tune) I will see how much [censored] is in the filter. If its full I might just do that to get it all out or drop the pan again in a couple thousand miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back