2001 Buick LeSabre Radiator flush

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed the oil this weekend on this vehicle. Noticed the Dex-cool is looking pretty nasty. Recovery tank was low and radiator cap looks like the rubber seals were seeing their days.

Car has 33K on it. Coolant was changed by the dealer around 15K when they replaced the radiator under warranty. I'm thinking of switching to G05 type coolant as it's working great in my Mazda.

Anyhow... Next weekend I plan on at least flushing the radiator and was wondering where the drain plug (radiator) is? Or, do I need to remove the bottom hose and proceed that way?

Thanks! Ya'll have been a huge help when I did my plug-change!

I like the idea and technology of G-05 coolant.
But a real flush is important. You have to get ALL the old stuff out of there.
BTW, good luck finding G-05. Zerex is a good brand found maybe in Napa, and Ford/Chrysler/Mercedes dealerships have it.
Most stuff in auto parts stores and Walmart is universal coolant.

Problems like this with only 33K? WAT too early! At 100k things should still look almost new!

Well... It's the proverbial "Little old lady" car. My aunt drives it a block to get her mail and that's it! Once a month I try to get it out on the highway to get it up to temps. Maybe that style of driving has contributed to it's condition?

I find the G-05 at my NAPA... Been using it in my Miata and love it. I'm scared of the DEXCOOL. 2001 and I think it's vulnerable to gasket damage. I think the G-05 will be much better.

Unless...?? ZEREX recommends another coolant? Anyhow... I need to find that drain hole!

I like G-05 but I think Green is a tad bit easier on the silicon IMG. I think Green works very well in the 3.8. Switch to either one and your sludge problems on this vehicle will go away.

I'd remove the bottom hose. Let it drain,then remove the thermostat and put the housing back on.

Remove the upper hose from the radiator and shove a garden hose in there and let it run for a while. You'll see left over coolant and crud come out the bottom. Once it's running completely clear out the bottom you're good.

Put the hose into the top of the radiator and turn the hose back on. Fluch it for a few minutes.

Diconnect the heater hoses and backflush the heater core.

Put a new thermostat in, close everything up, then refill with the coolant you want.

BTW, use distilled water for your final fill/mix. It only adds a dollar or two to the final price, and is a great thing to do.

G-05 has much less silicon than regular green fluid, plus additional additives. But it is not void of silicon and I think this is great. It is a dual action type of fluid. All bases are covered.

I will use distilled water. I did this on my '94 Miata with the G-05. Clean as a whistle so far. (3 years now)

I'm a bit confused about the Green vs. G-05 though...

With so many coolants out there, it's hard to say what's best.

I will say I've had friends deal with the Dexcool issue. Not really happy about that. I feel it's probably a good thing to switch coolants.

Green is getting tough to find.
It seems every common pace only has universal coolant.

Green used high silicon. It was Great if you keep it fresh in a system. Too long and it could precipitate out, and cause odd sludge problems. Also it can be abrasive to pumps. But silicon leave a nice protective coating. This is important, esp on new parts.

The G-05 has TWO types of corrosion fighters. Some silicon, and other additives. This is a newer fluid designed for long life. Mfrs have to offer 100k now.

I like the G-05 system. You won't hear complaints about it, and most others can have problems for whatever reasons..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back