Peanut butter under oil cap

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a 1998 Mercedes ML320 with the 3.2 liter V6 (the 112 engine--only engine available in '98). When we moved from Texas to Michigan I switched to M1 0W40. Every winter since then (East Texas doesn't have winters) I noticed a buildup of gunk under the oil filler cap. A lot of Mel owners reported the same problem on the Mercedes forums, so I didn't think much of it--they all do that. Even after a 100 mile drive, if the weather was cold the peanut butter was under there.

Couple oil changes ago I switched to Red Line 5W40, to get the viscosity up a bit and I was not satisfied with the varnish that built up in the engine on the 0W40. This winter I'm not seeing any residue, the cap looks the same as in the summer!

Just posting an observation for whatever it's worth. 201K on the car, runs like new.

I'm not; the engine puts it there. It's an oily sludge under the filler cap, with a consistency similar to peanut butter.

It's just water from condensation that doesn't get entirely "boiled" out of the oil in winter. Have you been using the car for longer trips compared to last winter? Have the ambient temperatures been substantially warmer than last year?

So, what we have learned here is: If you want oil AND peanut butter, but can just afford to buy oil, you should buy the Mobil1 0W40, since you will get peanut-butter for free?

Last edited:
Chunky or smooth? I have checked under my oil cap, no peanut butter
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: SL8R
It's just water from condensation that doesn't get entirely "boiled" out of the oil in winter. Have you been using the car for longer trips compared to last winter? Have the ambient temperatures been substantially warmer than last year?

No on both counts. That's why I was so surprised. I'll post again if anything changes.

I have the two of those Mercedes both of them do that during the winter. It has nothing to do with the type of oil you use. The condensation does not get burned off and that "peanut butter" forms under the cap. In the spring it will go away or if you go on a good long drive.
My Mercedes likes GC better than Mobil 1. Also use a fleece filter and make sure that the thermostat is working properly to ge the engine up to temp.
Off subject, since you have moved from Texas to the rust belt make sure that you keep the salt cleaned off the car, underbody, and wheel wells. The front coil spring perches will rust, break off and cause you to wreck.
Greg

Originally Posted By: FusilliJerry82
Hey you got peanut butter in my oil!

You got oil in my peanut butter!

I noticed the same thing on my GF's 08 Passat. M1 0w-40 leave a really thick build up despite a two hour drive. The M1 protects very well but I'm gonna try some GC to see if it makes a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back