Power steering fluid for 06 Corolla

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to the manual, Toyota recommends a "Dex" type ATF fluid for the power steering. My question is though... since I have read on here that Dex VI is ONLY backwards compatible with transmissions that used to require Dex III. I can't find Dex III anywhere and I am not sure if I should use Dex VI in the power steering when I go to replace it. Is there an equivalent to the old Dex III that I should use for the power steering or what?

BTW... I just flushed out 2 quarts of power steering fluid on my 02 Olds Intrigue with 87,000 miles on the original fluid. That fluid was nasty! I am going to get another quart and flush it out in a week, as it still looks a little nasty. The power steering seems to operate a lot better now though.

"I can't find Dex III anywhere"

Most universal atf's will meet this. Really, for what you're using it for you're overthinking this. I use M1 ATF, it works well. Many others will, too.

Mobil 1 Mercon V/Dexron III Full synthetic.
My Isuzu cales for DexIII. I turkey-basted a quart last summer. Steering works great; I noticed a big difference in winter, much less effort is required to turn.

Last edited:
M1 ATF has worked well for me in PS pumps since they came out with the M1 ATF. Early 90s I believe.

Most of the current MD3, non labeled fluid that aren't Dex VI, ATF +3/+4, Mercon V are in the right viscosity vise to the old Dex III spec.

No need to buy exotic fluid for an old spec, especially for Power Steering, since no friction material in there like auto transmission. I'd just use a cheap Chevron MD-3 or Shell equivalent, for about $3 / qt.

Any ATF mentioning the Dex spec can be used. I recommend a full synthetic since maintenance intervals for PSF seem to be nil.

Amsoil, Redline, Maxline, Mobil1.... are some from the local stores. There are also the generic domestic ATF's that can be used if you're on a budget. And, another easy choice is Mercon-V which is usually a synth-blend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back