What is OE toyota PS fluid?

most of the factory fresh toyos i have seen come with an amber ps fluid akin to the ps fluid one can purchase at a local parts store.

However the manual says dex 3 is compatible. Are they using an undyed dex 3 or something else?

However the manual says dex 3 is compatible. Are they using an undyed dex 3 or something else?
Probably an undyed Dexron III fluid, but I'm not sure that anyone here can prove it with data.

If the manual says to use Dex III, I'm not sure I see what the big deal is. Priced right and works well. Its not expensive like the Pentosin CHF-11S fluid used in some cars.

I have used any Dex III ATF or any PS fluid in my previous Toyota that needs PS fluid without any issue.
You may want to flush it once in a while especially when it looks black and murky.
Also wash the canister.
It is relatively easy to do.

It depends, a lot of years required Dexron III and were filled with undyed Dexron III at the factory.

Run what the cap says, nothing else.

On my two Toyota vehicles that list a DEXRON license as acceptable I use Maxlife. I’ve probably used that for a combined 700,000 miles and so far no issues. The fluid stays red and no unusual noises or anything.

I may have used DEXRON-VI for one or two flushes but I’ve never seen any difference.

On my two Toyota vehicles that list a DEXRON license as acceptable I use Maxlife. I’ve probably used that for a combined 700,000 miles and so far no issues. The fluid stays red and no unusual noises or anything.

I may have used DEXRON-VI for one or two flushes but I’ve never seen any difference.
any issues topping up the existing oe fluid with maxlife or similar or a complete replacement is a must?

Dexron-III fluid specification and licensing program was inactivated in March 2011.

All Dexron-III (H) licenses expired permanently at the end of 2011, and GM now supports only Dexron-VI fluids. Aftermarket fluids asserted by their manufacturers to meet Dexron-III and earlier standards continue to be sold under names such as Dex/Merc. These fluids are not regulated or endorsed by GM.

Car Care Nut says it’s Idemitsu PSF. All the Toyotas see whatever open ATF I have with no problem. MaxLife or Red Line D4 are my current picks for Toyota PSF.

Yeah, Toyota's aren't too picky for PS fluid...I use(s) Mobil ATF in my 4runner with no issues. It's the Hondas you have to be careful of...they have their own spec'd fluid...

Car Care Nut says a lot of things.
He says many things
Some of which I agree with, others which I don't
Idemitsu PSF is really Honda's magic PSF from what I can see
While I doubt it would harm a Toyota PS system, it's not the original fluid
1706768073386.jpg

Toyota # 00718-ATF00
1706768230326.jpg

1706768241587.jpg

The working theory/consensus is that the factory fill is the same Dex II/III fluid, just undyed
It's not a complicated/fussy hydraulic system
And while I enjoy being a stickler, there's bigger fish to fry

If you want an undyed DIII there's Prestone Asian Vehicle P/S Fluid. Not sure why they tout Honda compatibility.

He says many things
Some of which I agree with, others which I don't
Idemitsu PSF is really Honda's magic PSF from what I can see
While I doubt it would harm a Toyota PS system, it's not the original fluid
View attachment 201108
Toyota # 00718-ATF00
View attachment 201109
View attachment 201110
The working theory/consensus is that the factory fill is the same Dex II/III fluid, just undyed
It's not a complicated/fussy hydraulic system
And while I enjoy being a stickler, there's bigger fish to fry
The factory Toyota fluid is a clear brown when the car is new on the dealer lot. ATF of any kind seems to work well in them.

I’ve done the “I know better than Honda” and tried a boutique fluid in an mdx … and it permanently damaged the R&P slowly, over time. Thankfully it was old and didn’t prevent it from working. There is a friction member in the rack, held under tension. That wore down to nothing with … get this, amsoil, not cheap stuff, and the steering was lose and easily upset over road chatter after that. I bought the tools to adjust the friction tension, but it was done, none left. Thankfully the car was old and it wasn’t a big deal. But yeah, they mean it. Honda fluid only.

Back