UOA Forum Short Intervals

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am kind of amazed that after all the years this forum has been around plus all the synthetics available, manufacturer recommendations and all the great results with OCIs over 5000 miles I looked at the recent posts on the used oil analysis forum and the majority continue to be in the 3000-5000 range. Seems people just are not willing or convinced to go longer distances. Old habits hard to kill and maybe the Jiffy Lubes of the world advertising is effective

The dealers seem to push the 3K OCI as well. It is a great selling tool for brake jobs and other work once the car is on the rack.

My Honda dealer is also a Cadillac dealer, and they put a 5K sticker on everything. The local Ford dealer still puts 3K reminder stickers on theirs.

Originally Posted By: jorton
Even though the wife drives only 10k per year, two oc is not excessive.

Agreed; however, a UOA could show that, while not excessive, it may be unecessary to change out so frequently. Oil is cheap and, with out UOA, why risk it, right? I for sure don't look down on any one who changes a little TOO frequently. In all honesty, I'd still prefer a used car (not backed up by UOA) whose owner ran 5k OCI to another with 10k OCI, but that's more of a trust thing than anything else. I don't trust some one to have checked the oil every so often over a longer interval.

For some, I think, a UOA may only be a tool to determine how their engine is "wearing". This may may simply be a result of poor understanding of exactly how data in a UOA is to be interpreted, and provides the user with another $22.50 worth of peace of mind, if nothing practical.

For me, it's taking every bit of will power to stop myself from changing out the Shell T6 in my turbo Subie before the 7k Dyson-recommended OCI. It's tough to break away from old, outdated tribal knowledge and marketing, but it's even harder to argue with data and the analysis of some one like Terry Dyson. I for darned sure didn't pay $99 just to have a cool matrix with all sorts of data I didn't intend to utilize.

I agree a lot of UOA show that the oil could've gone longer, and even though I've never done UOA I'm positive I could extend my OCI. But I'm sure there are many people like me who have to change their oil early to maintain their warranty.

I drive two cars, so it's not uncommon for me to be changing the oil on my car with about 3k miles on it, simply b/c it's been six months and the oil must be changed to maintain my warranty requirements. I know the oil could go longer, but the manufacturer says to change it regardless of miles

Originally Posted By: jorton
Even though the wife drives only 10k per year, two oc is not excessive.

Do a UOA to find out. I once took over a year to put 5500 miles on my GP and did a UOA. I then put nearly the same mileage within just 4 months and saw similar UOA results. If your warranty doesn't require 6 month changes then it might not be worth it.

I personally have fallen into the 3k-5k UOA bracket. I guess it depends on if you are having a problem you are checking on, seeing excess metals in the UOA, or are they coming out perfect? If they are coming out perfect and you are doing multiple UOA's at under 5k miles with synthetic then it is a waste of money in my opinion.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
My Honda dealer is also a Cadillac dealer, and they put a 5K sticker on everything. The local Ford dealer still puts 3K reminder stickers on theirs.

Actually my Ford dealer [Pompano Ford Lincoln Mercury] has been putting 5k miles stickers on the cars since 1999...The tech who works on the car said if you go to 7500 miles it's no problem.

Originally Posted By: sicko
I agree a lot of UOA show that the oil could've gone longer, and even though I've never done UOA I'm positive I could extend my OCI. But I'm sure there are many people like me who have to change their oil early to maintain their warranty.

I drive two cars, so it's not uncommon for me to be changing the oil on my car with about 3k miles on it, simply b/c it's been six months and the oil must be changed to maintain my warranty requirements. I know the oil could go longer, but the manufacturer says to change it regardless of miles

My new car is still under warranty. I take a risk in doubling Subaru of America's OCI, but how many oil-related failures do you really hear about? If they claim that my turbo failed due to too-long oil change intervals I'll have them prove to me that that's the case. If they can't, I'll show them my UOA history and prove to them that oil can most certainly and verifiably be ruled out as the cause. I get along pretty well with the service department, which will also help if anything pops up.

The point really is that oil is one of my hobbies. I'm not the greenest guy, but I also don't like to waste - changing oil too often is a waste to me, peace of mind be darned! haha. The extra money I "waste" on UOA feeds my hunger for knowledge, not some OCD need to control every aspect of my car. It is for this reason that I can extend my OCI with out worry; that I use the oil in my application until the end of its useful life, minus some conservatism.

Last edited:
Just before Christmas my daughter bought a 2010 Malibu LTZ with a V6. When she picked the car up it had a reminder sticker in the windshield to come back in 3K for an oil change. The salesman said that they can email her a reminder every 3 months too. After we got back to the house I pulled the sticker off and told her to follow the OLM like she did on the 2007 Malibu she traded in.

She lives over 1200 miles away and I have tried for years to get her to go to her local dealership when the OLM flashes and get the oil changed and to stay away from the Wal-Mart oil changes. She likely goes to Wal-Mart anyway every 3K anyway and gets Super Tech or whatever it is they sell. At least she stays on top of oil changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back