12K miles on the wrong ATF. Advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
dschwarz - Sorry but my previous Post may be "unclear" - you may have a removable plate near the TC that will enable you to see if a drain plug is fitted. You will need to turn it (TC). All installations have variances of course and some Porsche models are fitted as noted

Though it doesn't absolve them of negligence, I'd be inclined to agree that an issue from incompatible fluid would have surfaced sooner than 2 years after. They likely used a "compatible" universal fluid. Flush it with the proper fluid. I wouldn't use anything like Auto-RX; this isn't a varnish issue. Failing that, I would honestly look to sell the car.

If a flush does cure your woes, you may want to consider installing a remote filter in line with the cooler lines. Considering how the complication and cost of servicing these transmissions precludes shorter service intervals, and the fact that it was rebuilt, it would probably be a great help.

Come to think of it, there may be a chance an external filter was already installed by the rebuilder. If so, make sure to change that out too.

Flush it out with Amsoil, Maxlife, Redline, Amalie, or Mobil1....

If the shop used dex/merc bulk ATF, then it probably already has a fluid converter in it. So, I wouldn't just blindly toss in another bottle of lubegard/smartblend/runrite....
With bulk dex/merc, 12k would be a good run.

You can visit the VW forums to learn how to flush it out fully, or simply start with a single drain/refill. If the shift quality improves, then plan on a couple more drain/refills in timely intervals, like once a year.

The transmission failed because lifetime fluids are NOT!

unDummy:

I think you are right at the bottom line, but I think adding a bottle of LubeGard Platinum would aid in understanding the nature/extent of the problem.

IF after adding LGP (there may be room to add it without any drainage), AND shudder/harsh shift symptoms rapidly diminish (over 15-30 min of warm driving), I would conclude that AAMCO used cheap fluid and added LGP (or similar), and that the friction modifiers are now "broken" and the fluid is sheared down somewhat. I would then go and pay for an aggressive flush (using the LG flush additive, which is TOP NOTCH) and fill with a top-notch spec syn and call it good. Because it would be good.

BUT IF after adding LP, and shudder/harsh shift symptoms did not change or changed very little, I would prepare for a series of flush/fill cycles to try to "rinse" the old junk out of the clutch frictions, and maybe buy a pump or rig up a system to make it easy to do myself in my buddy's garage. And read up on the friction materials used in that tranny.

K

...and adding the LGP will suspend the rapid degradation of the fluid and clutch friction long enough to shop around for a mechanic to do the flush with the fluid you want...

K

Kaboomba, I like your approach. Unfortunately I'm having trouble finding the LubeGard product in a local shop. Some NAPAs have it, some don't. I'll have to drive to one, which leads me to my next question...

Am I doing damage to my transmission or torque converter by driving the car with the shudder? It seems to be getting a bit more frequent. I want to get this fixed soon but can't get the LubeGard tonight. I'm currently at my inlaws' house in NJ contemplating whether to drive 40mi to NYC or take the bus. What would you do?

! wow, a lot happens in a few days...

in that position I would just go straight to a reputable shop and pay for a flush. If I couldn't find that nearby, I would call all the NAPA's and CarQuests and Bumper-To-Bumpers and find out who's got the LG and just go get it and dump it in.

just drive it nice and easy. at low speed you can sometimes choose a "low" gear, which locks you into a gear. Usually the TCC does not engage when you do that.

P.S. ask the parts store if they carry ShudderFixx (made by the LG people, and really does work), and maybe buy a tube.

Last edited:
I look at shudderfix as a bandaid for the proper fluid. And if the proper fluid does not address this issue in a modern car, you have more serious issues at hand.

I agree completely.

If I were in his (dschwarz's) position, I would be grabbing and dumping the LP or ShudderFixx in to tide the AT over until I could line up a correct flush job. What we want to avoid is too much TCC slipping, which can overheat and wreck fluid, glaze or destroy TCC frictions, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back