24 Hours of Daytona

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was at the Grand AM test at Indy last year, and Johnny is right. That Porsche V8 was the SWEEETEST sounding engine there, even though I'm partial to the GM V8's. The Mazdas are the WORST! Those rotaries sound REALLY AWFUL to me. Like a big loud turd popping and cracking around the track. The Stevenson Pontiac was the LOUDEST car there. I don't know if their new Camaros are still that loud, but I suspect so since the chassis and drivetrain is carried over from last year.

Yep, the new Stevenson Camaros sounded real good and looked good also. Wish someone would build a Mustang and Charger for that GT class to run against them.

But heck, how do you compete against 15 Mazdas and 25 Porsches?

Originally Posted By: flacoman
I suspect sequential gearboxes save money in the long run;missed shifts and mechanical over-revs turn driveline pieces and engines into mush. Being able to shift securely, especially in a long race with driver fatigue makes those transmissions a good investment.

Sean Hyland Motorsports was offering a pretty much bolt in sequential 6 speed for mustangs for the 6-7K range. I was looking at it for a future track car, but the torque rating was only in the 450-500 lb-ft range.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Meanwhile, they do allow sequential gearboxes, the least expensive of which are MANY times more $$$$ than said hubs/wheels.

Aussie supercars now have sequential, and watching on the weekends, there seem to be a fair few mistakes.

And they run spools in the rear diffs.

SPOOLS, not even lockers (like NASCAR, and the defunct Trans-Am series use(d))?!?! Was this always the case, or a recent rule change??
WOW, it must be like watching a multi car drift competition on a circuit (you Ozzies a ARE loco, in a good way of course!)!!

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
I suspect sequential gearboxes save money in the long run;missed shifts and mechanical over-revs turn driveline pieces and engines into mush. Being able to shift securely, especially in a long race with driver fatigue makes those transmissions a good investment.

Sean Hyland Motorsports was offering a pretty much bolt in sequential 6 speed for mustangs for the 6-7K range. I was looking at it for a future track car, but the torque rating was only in the 450-500 lb-ft range.

Lou Gilotti offers one for C5/6 Vettes, supposedly good for ~850 lb./ft., using Emco internals, but it is in the $25K+ price range.
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: Dieselbob
The Mazdas are the WORST! Those rotaries sound REALLY AWFUL to me. Like a big loud turd popping and cracking around the track.

I remember back when I was working SCCA Pro Rallies, and the early FA/FB RX-7s were running.
They sounded for all the world like a bunch of hunters all firing 12 guages simultaneously, EVERY time they backed off the trottle for a turn!!

AGREED!
But centerlock/pin drives would also be a good, cost effective, investment, especially given the frequent incidence of loose lug nuts being fired down pit road like so many hollow points (as was being reported).

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Originally Posted By: buster
Johnny, did you see any Valvoline?

Only one car in the new Continental Class, and that was the Mustang of Jack Roush. Seems he had a bad day and finished something like 66th. You can watch the race on SPEED TV on (2/13, 7:00 PM ET, SPEED)

Stevenson has a few new Camaros prepped for that class as well (in classic, old Penske/Sunoco Trans-Am series livery!).
Hopefully, they will run at Homestead.

They had a prototype of the classic looking Penske/Sunoco Camaro at the track last year and this year. Brought back a lot of good memories.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
SPOOLS, not even lockers (like NASCAR, and the defunct Trans-Am series use(d))?!?! Was this always the case, or a recent rule change??
WOW, it must be like watching a multi car drift competition on a circuit (you Ozzies a ARE loco, in a good way of course!)!!

Yep, spools...always have on the supercars...also run negative camber on a solid rear diff, which I find a tad interesting also.

Run really short deck height SBCs and Fords (which I again find interesting)

I just got through having a very nice conversation with Shawn Passen, Director of Racing for Turner Motorsports, those beautiful bright yellow/blue BMW you see racing in the GT and Continental class of Grand-AM racing. The conversation started out about Daytona and this contest I signed up for but we ended up talking about oils and lubricants.

Anyway their BMW's run Motul products front to back, including the brake fluid. The oil of choice is the 300V in 15W-50.

It was a very interesting conversation and I was really surprised that a Director of Racing from anywhere would give me more than the time of day. Usually they have some secretary make calls or send emails.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back