24 Hours of Daytona

Status
Not open for further replies.
1:30 AM EST

Tired and going to get some sleep. Biggest news right now is at around 12:10 AM this morning the #02 Ganassi car went to the garage and I believe it is out of the race with engine problems. This will knock the following drivers out of the race.

Scott Dixon, Dario Franchitti, Juan Pablo Montoya, and Jamie McMurray.

Not my favorite team, but to bad. These guys lead over 50% of the laps until then.

Hope to be up just before the sun with a fresh pot of coffee, bacon, and eggs. Anything exciting happens while I'm sleeping I'll let you know. Nothing like going to sleep with a giant ferris wheel down the road from you and the sound of race cars in the background.

Congrats Johnny, I hope you have an awesome time, well at least as awesome as you seem to be having.

12:37 PM EST

Slept like a baby and missed sunrise but was up at 8:00 AM, now time for lunch. Took a cart ride this morning. All that Motul I reported on last night was moved down behind the Turner Motorsports pit area. Guess the guy just dropped it off at the wrong location. Did not look like any of it had been opened. The Brumo Porsche went out for a while during the night, had to change out the rear end assembly. To bad, as I really would have liked to see them win. Looks like the #01 Ganassi car with Scott Pruitt and friends are pacing themselves to make a run for the win in a few hours.

The Camaros look pretty good, both running and looks. Last year these two cars were Pontiac's, same chassis and engine, just a different skin.

Unless something drastic happens it will either be a Mazda or Porsche that wins the GT class. They both have a much larger contingency than any other brand.

After lunch the boy want's to drive me around on the cart to look around. I think that means he wants to check out the chicks.
grin2.gif

Will try to make one more post after this is over and before we leave for the airport in Jacksonville.

Zoom, zoom, zoom

Johnny what happened to that DP car with Kendall GT-1 plastered all over......Kaboom......Had to be the oil, LMAO

Hey bud sounds like a blast. I'm sure we would all love to see some pics

Last edited:
Good info...I love watching this race each year on tv. Maybe I can talk my 70 year old Dad and Brother into going next year. I DVR'd it and enjoyed it. I was really pulling for either of the Michael Shank team cars. Partially for the Ford backed engines and partially because they seem to be cool grass roots racing kind of guys. The #6 car had a decent chance late until something broke. I am surprised so many teams use Mobil 1...the team managers must not check this forum out with the occassional hard time Mobil 1 gets.

did you get to see any of the pre-assembled brake assemblies? they were showing them on the tv coverage and they are rotors, pads and calipers with quick disconnect fittings on the fluid lines. they said it was faster to change out the whole setup than to change pads.

1:19 AM Monday 2/1/10

Man, I hate making plane connections through Detroit. Never flown through there, especially when trying to get home that there is not some kind of delay. It has been a long day, but finally back in beautiful balmy WI where it is now 2 degrees.

Originally Posted By: DieselTech
Johnny what happened to that DP car with Kendall GT-1 plastered all over......Kaboom......Had to be the oil, LMAO

Actually it was the transmission assembly that blew.

I've never seen so many quality cars knocked out of one race and I think it was a shock to everyone there who won the DP class and overall race leader. First time car, first time owner, first time engine. Instead of the flat six like in the Brumo car, this thing had a Porsche V-8 engine out of the Porsche Cyanne (sp), and it sure had a sweet sound. The #01 of Ganassi should have won that race except for the mistake they made going to the garage because of some noise. If they would have just checked it in the pits, they would have won. I guess that's the beauty of a 24-hour race. By now I'm sure all know that in the GT class the Castrol Mazda won. Pictures will depend on when my son transfers what he has to a CD and mails it to me.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
did you get to see any of the pre-assembled brake assemblies? they were showing them on the tv coverage and they are rotors, pads and calipers with quick disconnect fittings on the fluid lines. they said it was faster to change out the whole setup than to change pads.

You know, I saw some of those on Saturday setting on one of the shop benches and really did not realize what they were. When I saw them it just looked like a rotor setting next to a caliper assembly. Later I found out what it was. Pretty neat idea if you ask me.

Well, I had a great time and am glad my son did this for me again and I'm glad he had his laptop so I could logon from time to time. I hope my rambeling did not bother anyone.

For those that don't know or for those who might want to see it here, here is the final results from the race. Now I'm going to rest for a day or two.

1 9 DP 1 Barbosa / Borcheller / Dalziel / Rockenfeller Action Express Racing / Porsche Riley
2 01 DP 2 Papis / Pruett / Rojas / Wilson Chip Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates / BMW Riley
3 95 DP 3 Bouchut / Hunter-Reay / Luhr / Tucker / Westbrook Crown Royal/NPN Racing / BMW Riley
4 75 DP 4 Braun / Jonsson / Krohn / Zonta Krohn Racing / Ford Lola
5 60 DP 5 Frisselle / Negri / Pew / Wilkins Michael Shank Racing / Ford Riley
6 10 DP 6 Angelelli / Lamy / Taylor / Taylor SunTrust Racing / Ford Dallara
7 6 DP 7 Allmendinger / Frisselle / Patterson / Valiante Michael Shank Racing / Ford Riley
8 70 GT 1 Bomarito / Ham / Haskell / Tremblay SpeedSource / Mazda RX-8
9 67 GT 2 Bergmeister / Long / Neiman / van Overbeek TRG/ Flying Lizard Motorsports / Porsche GT3
10 66 GT 3 Ballou / Collins / Flanagan / Henzler / Lally TRG / Porsche GT3
11 57 GT 4 Davis / Liddell / Magnussen Stevenson Motorsports / Camaro GT.R
12 44 GT 5 Bleekemolen / Lietz / Potter / Stanton Magnus Racing / Porsche GT3
13 40 GT 6 Dempsey / Espenlaub / Foster / Maxwell Dempsey Racing / Mazda RX-8
14 43 GT 7 Nonnamaker / Nonnamaker / Nonnamaker / Sahlen Team Sahlen / Mazda RX-8
15 94 GT 8 Auberlen / Dalla Lana / Hand / Said Turner Motorsport / BMW M6 Riley
16 71 GT 9 Bernhard / Dumas / George Jr / Labonte / Pumpelly TRG / Porsche GT3
17 97 GT 10 Bell / Borkowski / Refenning / Schaldach Stevenson Motorsports / Camaro GT.R
18 32 GT 11 Finlay / Hyatt / Merrill / Westphal Corsa Team PR1 / BMW M6
19 23 GT 12 Baldwin / Burtin / Farnbacher / Pagerey / Ragginger Alex Job Racing / Porsche GT3
20 22 GT 13 Bentley / McIntosh / Nierop / O'Young Bullet Racing / Porsche GT3
21 99 DP 8 Fogarty / Gurney / Johnson / Vasser GAINSCO/ Bob Stallings Racing / Chevrolet Riley
22 41 GT 14 Gue / Keen / Kitch Jr / Lacey Dempsey Racing/Team Seattle / Mazda RX-8
23 55 DP 9 Bouchut / Bourdais / Collard / Maassen / Tucker Crown Royal/NPN Racing / BMW Riley
24 77 DP 10 Gidley / Gollin / Jaeger / Johnston Doran Racing / Ford Dallara
25 14 GT 15 Friedman / Gatlin / Graeff / Thomas / Yarab Jr. Autometrics Motorsports / Porsche GT3
26 59 DP 11 Donohue / Haywood / Law / Leitzinger / Matos Brumos Racing / Porsche Riley
27 7 DP 12 Forest / James / Lester / von Moltke Starworks Motorsport / BMW Riley
28 69 GT 16 Assentato / Lazzaro / Longhi / Segal SpeedSource / Mazda RX-8
29 88 GT 17 Baker / Cosmo / Mowlem / Papadopoulos / Willsey Orbit Racing / Porsche GT3
30 48 GT 18 Hines / Ludwig / Miller / Roush Miller Barrett Racing / Porsche GT3
31 18 GT 19 Doyle / Ledoux / Quinlan / Sheehan / Watkins TRG/ Guardian Angel / Porsche GT3
32 90 DP 13 Garcia / Manning / Menard / Rice Spirit of Daytona Racing / Porsche Coyote
33 63 GT 20 Brown / Dean / Richard / Thomas / Villeneuve TRG / Porsche GT3
34 2 DP 14 Beyer / Cameron / Kapudija / Lueders / Wagner Beyer Racing / Chevrolet Crawford
35 19 GT 21 Breslin / Breslin / Romagnoli / Romanini / Vinkemulder MCM/Black Flag Racing / Corvette
36 20 GT 22 Lapierre / Menten / Palttala / Slingerland Matt Connolly Motorsports / Porsche GT3
37 02 DP 15 Dixon / Franchitti / McMurray / Montoya Chip Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates / BMW Riley
38 07 GT 23 Edwards / Jones / McCutchen / Reese / Russell Godstone Ranch Motorsports/Team MBR / Corvette
39 21 GT 24 Briody / Lassally / Rosa / Steuer / Trenery Matt Connolly Motorsports / Pontiac GTO.R
40 46 GT 25 Collins / Ianetta / Lewis / Zahn Autohaus Motorsports / Pontiac GXP.R
41 52 GT 26 Castellano / Michaelian / Michaelian / Safina / Schmidt / Swartzbaugh Wil Mar Racing / Ferrari 430 Challenge
42 64 GT 27 Lowe / Lux / Pace / Sugden / Walker JLowe Racing / Porsche GT3
43 30 GT 28 Bocchino / Buford / Edwards / Lamb / Taylor Racers Edge Motorsports / Mazda RX-8
44 42 GT 29 Nonnamaker / Nonnamaker / Nonnamaker / Sahlen Team Sahlen / Mazda RX-8

Originally Posted By: legandrex
I am surprised so many teams use Mobil 1...the team managers must not check this forum out with the occassional hard time Mobil 1 gets.

The team mangers have more important things like cashing the checks that Mobil 1 gives them than logging online here.
48.gif

Thanks Johnny for the updates and reports. Would LOVE to do something like that someday!

Bill

If we do it again next year Bill you would be more than welcome to join us. That rented motor home had plenty of room in it. That spoiled me for going to any more endurance races. A motor home track side is the only way to do it.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
If we do it again next year Bill you would be more than welcome to join us. That rented motor home had plenty of room in it. That spoiled me for going to any more endurance races. A motor home track side is the only way to do it.

Johnny,
If Bill comes, can I go to? Boy we can really swap oil stories till the wee hours of the night.

Johnny, thanks for the reports/updates, and oh yeah, I HATE YOU for being able to do this!! (J/K!)

The one thing that perplexed me when watching the coverage was when Mr. Hobbs (I think it was Hobbs) stated that the GT cars could not use centerlock/pin drive hubs (like the DP cars) as a cost saving budgetary measure/rule.
Meanwhile, they do allow sequential gearboxes, the least expensive of which are MANY times more $$$$ than said hubs/wheels.

I suspect sequential gearboxes save money in the long run;missed shifts and mechanical over-revs turn driveline pieces and engines into mush. Being able to shift securely, especially in a long race with driver fatigue makes those transmissions a good investment.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Meanwhile, they do allow sequential gearboxes, the least expensive of which are MANY times more $$$$ than said hubs/wheels.

Aussie supercars now have sequential, and watching on the weekends, there seem to be a fair few mistakes.

And they run spools in the rear diffs.

Originally Posted By: buster
Johnny, did you see any Valvoline?

Only one car in the new Continental Class, and that was the Mustang of Jack Roush. Seems he had a bad day and finished something like 66th. You can watch the race on SPEED TV on (2/13, 7:00 PM ET, SPEED)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back