1998 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE I6 auto/rear diff gearoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi what recomment tranny and rear diff oil for 1998 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE I6 automatic with 140k miles ? im looking to run redline or mobil 1. What you guy recomment ? thanks

Stick with Valvoline ATF+4 for the transmission, and a good gear lube like Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-90, Mobil 1 for the differentials.

My dad uses Royal Purple 75W-90 for the diffs on his Jeep Wrangler, but it doesn't accumulate many miles and it gets changed after every time we go offroading, so we don't have to worry much about it shearing and it seems to work fairly well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maxlife is a Dex/Merc fluid, I'm not sure if it is spec'ced for transmissions using ATF+4 or not. Either way my dad runs Valvoline ATF+4 in the Jeeps 32RH transmission and it works great.

I like to run synthetic gear oil in the differentials on my Jeep so that's what I'd recommend. Check the service manual for the grade, I believe a heavier grade (70w140) is recommended for the rear under "severe usage", but I don't remember for sure. Mobil 1 and Redline both make good gear oils. Redline's probably better, M1 is more available. Take your pick.

For the 32RH, any true ATF+4 is good. I tend to like the Valvoline line. Don't use a universal ATF, don't use Dexron VI, and don't use an additive that claims to make it "ATF+ compatible."

As for MaxLife- its good oil, but 140k miles isn't anywhere near "high" mileage for a Jeep 4.0/32RH. Check back in another 100k.

ATF+4 if you have a Chryco tranny.
Dexron if you have an AW4.

If you wheel often, running synthetic in your diff's is a waste. Supertech 80W90 would be fine.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

As for MaxLife- its good oil, but 140k miles isn't anywhere near "high" mileage for a Jeep 4.0/32RH. Check back in another 100k.

something about this bring a smile to my face ^^

if you tow or offroad (trails, rockcrawling, etc) i'd suggest 75W-110 or 75W-140 for the rear diff.
75W-90 should be fine for the front diff.

don't forget about the transfer case either. i can't rememeber if the newer jeeps use ATF+4 or D/M3 for the t/c. maybe someone else can chime in.

Originally Posted By: gtx510
if you tow or offroad (trails, rockcrawling, etc) i'd suggest 75W-110 or 75W-140 for the rear diff.
75W-90 should be fine for the front diff.

don't forget about the transfer case either. i can't rememeber if the newer jeeps use ATF+4 or D/M3 for the t/c. maybe someone else can chime in.

ATF+4 for tranny and t-case.
Check the owner's manual, everything should be listed in there

I run Amsoil ATF with no problems in the tranny and I run Amsoil 80/90 gear oil in my diff's. No reason to run anything heavier if you are not towing. I change my diff's every 30k and my Trans fluid every 50k.

My 98 grand currently has 145k and no issues. I switched it to Synthetic when I purchased it in 2005 with 99k on the engine.

will mobil 1 75w90 be ok for the rear ? do my rear have LSD ? I dont pulling any thing with the jeep. I drove it normal.

Originally Posted By: Peter_Smith
will mobil 1 75w90 be ok for the rear ? do my rear have LSD ? I dont pulling any thing with the jeep. I drove it normal.

That will be fine if you don't off road nor tow. Crawl under the rear of the jeep and check the rear axle for a tag. That tag should say if it's a LSD. If there is no tag, it probably doesn't have LSD or it may have fell off. You can check the glove box, should be a sticker in there that will tell you if the rear has an LSD or not.

his transmission is the 42re the 42rh is hydraulic controlled with a fluid valve body as opposed to the electric of the 42re. This tranny is really pretty strong its down fall is the valve body solenoids going out, so if you ever do have transmission issues replace these two solenoids first rather than rebuild. In this tranny atf+4 is defiantly what you want I would not consider a universal fluid or any other fluid for that matter.....

Originally Posted By: Zaedock
ATF+4 if you have a Chryco tranny.
Dexron if you have an AW4.

If you wheel often, running synthetic in your diff's is a waste. Supertech 80W90 would be fine.

aw4 is the Cherokee transmission rather than the Grand Cherokee, well actually a select very few in 1993 of the Grand Cherokees came with the aw4 but it is a rare sighting and only that year.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back