Changing ATF, 2002 Chevy Malibu

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's no drain plug or dipstick, but there is a red cap which I think is where it can be filled. I don't think I want to try to drop the pan; it's not leaking and I'd like to keep it that way. Is there a trans line that goes to the radiator that I can disconnect and have it pump out a quart at a time? Ive never done this before, can anyone walk me through it?

The check plug is on the pass side axle housing. Its a 11mm plug that you remove with the vehicle running at normal operating temp on level ground. A drive on lift is the best way to do this.

The trans is treated like a differential. If nothing comes out of the little check plug, then you add to the large red cap. Once the fluid is level then the trans if full.

Some shops have flush machines, generally a pan drop is better because you don't introduce possible junk from another transmission previously serviced. Also replacing the filter screen is a good idea. The pan gasket is reusable, just wipe off and reuse.

Whichever you decide, I would recommend Dexron 6 trans fluid. It works very well.

Originally Posted By: beast3300
The check plug is on the pass side axle housing. Its a 11mm plug that you remove with the vehicle running at normal operating temp on level ground. A drive on lift is the best way to do this.

The trans is treated like a differential. If nothing comes out of the little check plug, then you add to the large red cap. Once the fluid is level then the trans if full.

Some shops have flush machines, generally a pan drop is better because you don't introduce possible junk from another transmission previously serviced. Also replacing the filter screen is a good idea. The pan gasket is reusable, just wipe off and reuse.

Whichever you decide, I would recommend Dexron 6 trans fluid. It works very well.

I dont have access to a lift. When I change oil I dont even use ramps or anything
frown.gif
I guess I could drive it up on 2x4 for a bit more room to work?

Manual says Dexron III. I'll definitely put in synthetic.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FL-400S
Originally Posted By: beast3300

I dont have access to a lift. When I change oil I dont even use ramps or anything
frown.gif
I guess I could drive it up on 2x4 for a bit more room to work?

Manual says Dexron III. I'll definitely put in synthetic.

As long as the car is level you can check it. Dex 6 is the only spec that is license and recommended by GM. The Dex III is not supported so the DEXIII stuff you see is sold is questionable.

Alldata lists 6.9 qts as the refill capacity for pan drop. I would start with 6.5 as inital fill. If its overfull then it will simply run out of the check plug :)

I think it'd be best to drop the pan and change the filter. That's a messy job and the car needs to be jacked up. If you don't a have a good and jack and jackstands, and a very large drain pan then probably best no to take on the pan drop.

You could unhook the top line at the radiator then snake the line up and into a catch pan. You need a a clear bucket that is graduated to determine how much came out. A paint mixing bucket would work. The fluid comes out very fast so don't run the engine lone and pump the transmission dry.

If there is a serviceable filter (most likely with GM) and this is the first atf change then the pan should absolutely be dropped and that filter needs to be replaced as it contains lots of break in debris. Refill with Dexron VI as it is better and backwards compatible. If you are unalble to DIY then have a dealer do it.

The first trans atf/filter change is important to do completely. Then you can go 1-2 more fluid exchanges before you need to do the filter again. If the dealer tells you it's "lifetime fluid" call another dealer.

Yeah like beast said this car has the 4T40/5 with a reusable pan gasket and filter in the pan. I agree I would change the filter number one and I'd pay the price difference to get Dex VI. Then he could unhook the top radiator cooler line like I mentioned and pump most all of the rest of the old fluid out.

Btw, I found Meijer to be a good place to get Dex VI. I saw Valvoline for $5.50 a quart which is a good price for name brand Dex VI. When a total flush is pushing 13 qts on this transmission every $1 or even 50 cents a quart you save on Dex VI counts. Of course the cheapest is to go with Walamart's Supertech Dex VI at 3.77/quart, and I'd take that over any brand of Dex III.

But to be honest it's not a very DIY job. GM made sure of that with no dipstick. GM likes to make their cars hard to work on it seems.

I think I might take it to a shop. I have a mechanic that I used once before for an intake gasket and he did a good job. I'll call to see what he would charge for this service, and put in synthetic Dexron VI. Then I will drive the car into the ground.

Looks like ~$10 a quart for synthetic Dexron 6 on amazon. OUCH. 12 quarts plus the price of the flush?

Last edited:
I did a pan drop, filter change and re-fill on our '99 2.4L Malibu last year. I'm sure the set-up is very similar. The hardest part was keeping the mess from the tranny pan in check... and removing the baked-in filter gasket from the transmission itself.

If you pick a corner of the pan to lower further than the rest, you can get a lot of the fluid out and into a pan without toooo much mess. Just keep some cardboard handy..

Originally Posted By: Virtuoso
I did a pan drop, filter change and re-fill on our '99 2.4L Malibu last year. I'm sure the set-up is very similar. The hardest part was keeping the mess from the tranny pan in check... and removing the baked-in filter gasket from the transmission itself.

If you pick a corner of the pan to lower further than the rest, you can get a lot of the fluid out and into a pan without toooo much mess. Just keep some cardboard handy..

Did you put it up on jackstands? How much fluid did you know to add back?

Originally Posted By: Virtuoso

Did you put it up on jackstands? How much fluid did you know to add back?

the refil is 6.9 Qts with pan and filter change. If you have it jacked up maybe a little more will come out. Outside of catching it all and measuring you are just quessing, but 6-7 qts will get you very close. You have to check the fluid level after filling to be sure.

I'm pretty skinny - I didn't need to jack the car up to get under.

There is a 'check plug' on the passenger side of the tranny that you remove to check fluid level. IIRC You are supposed to check it warm (about 100F), and add fluid until some spills out of the hole.

I wonder if there is a trans pan with a drain plug that I could replace this one with, if I decide to get dirty with the 'bu.

you could also get a drain plug welded in I would think. I can't see it taking long if you set it all up before hand.

I think I might take it to a shop. I have a mechanic that I used once before for an intake gasket and he did a good job. I'll call to see what he would charge for this service, and put in synthetic Dexron VI. Then I will drive the car into the ground.

Looks like ~$10 a quart for synthetic Dexron 6 on amazon. OUCH. 12 quarts plus the price of the flush?

I called the shop and they said it would be $149 for a pan drop and filter change with gasket, and they will put on the new drain pan with the drain bolt if I like.

They said they put in Kendall ATF semi synthetic. He didnt say whether it was Dex III or VI.

I think it may be worth taking it to the shop, especially since I don't already have all the tools necessary to do the job.

I'm reading up on the matter now, but should I run auto-rx or MMO or something for a few hundred miles before I have them change it? Can MMO go in a transmission? I'd have to wait a week or so to order the new oil pan anyway.

I don't think you should run anything in the transmission. Just drain it and change the filter and put in Dex VI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back