Honda power steering fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Vaca
Originally Posted By: DeeAgeaux
Wally World has prestone PS fluid for Honda/Acura for %2.47 a bottle.

I can get a bottle Honda psf from the dealer for $3-something...considering how little you need to use to change it, why not just use the OEM stuff?

Not in Los Angeles.

Quote:
Honda fluid is a must if you live in an area that gets cold weather.

I have tried other "Honda approved" fluid and the steering was very stiff in cold weather.

This afternoon, I added some Honda power steering fluid and was surprised at how thick it was compared to this fall. It was almost difficult to pour. It was stored in my garage at probably 15 or 20 degrees F. I imagined that at 20 below it would be almost a gel that wouldn't pour at all.

Some ATF+F and Type F transmission fluids that were also in my garage seemed much thinner. I would think that some type of synthetic fluid would be a lot easier on the pump and whole system in very cold weather than the Honda fluid.

Has anyone here tried the Amsoil PSF in their Honda, Amsoil lists it as compatible but i'm not sure how it can be and then be compatible with everything else they list.

Originally Posted By: trynew
Quote:
Honda fluid is a must if you live in an area that gets cold weather.

I have tried other "Honda approved" fluid and the steering was very stiff in cold weather.

This afternoon, I added some Honda power steering fluid and was surprised at how thick it was compared to this fall. It was almost difficult to pour. It was stored in my garage at probably 15 or 20 degrees F. I imagined that at 20 below it would be almost a gel that wouldn't pour at all.

Some ATF+F and Type F transmission fluids that were also in my garage seemed much thinner. I would think that some type of synthetic fluid would be a lot easier on the pump and whole system in very cold weather than the Honda fluid.

The Honda fluid pours good at -30C. I know this because I have tried it:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...143#Post1356143

Originally Posted By: nfs480
Has anyone here tried the Amsoil PSF in their Honda, Amsoil lists it as compatible but i'm not sure how it can be and then be compatible with everything else they list.

I have been using Amsoil PSF in my wife's 2006 Pilot since the middle of November (2009) and have not had any issues at all. Like most I was so concerned about oil & ATF that I let the FF PSF remain untouched for 62K miles. The FF fluid was dark brown, almost to the point of looking black, but didn't smell burned. It was in very poor condition visually and in definite need of replacement.

I used a turkey baster for the first two PSF reservoir drain/fills, but I had to cover everything under and around the reservoir with towels to avoid creating a big mess mess. I ended up using a $4 hand pump from Wal-Mart to complete the subsequent reservoir drain/fills.

Last edited:
The local NAPA carries a "Honda/Acura Compatible" PSF which seems to work fine. Some years ago when I checked the Castrol UK website they cross-referenced a specific motorcycle fork oil of all things as a replacement for Honda PSF. Today, however, that cross reference is gone.

Not sure if the viscosity would be ok though, they can't fit both viscosity of the normal PSF and Honda PSF at the same time.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear

Not sure if the viscosity would be ok though, they can't fit both viscosity of the normal PSF and Honda PSF at the same time.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back