Ford Triton V8 and thicker oil than 5w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
My father has a triton powered 2000 Ford fullsize van that he likes to tow with. Being an older man, he really hates how thin 5w20 is, especially in the summer. Now I know that the engine was designed for it, but he wants to know if you guys out there have ever run a 5w30 oil in them and how that turned out.

There really isnt much difference between a thick 5w20 and a thin 5w30 like castrol edge.

either is fine.

The 5-30 will be fine. I think the 5-20 came along after 2000. At any rate the 5-30 is no problem with the mod engine. Overk1ll uses M1 0-40 in his newer Exibition and lives in Canada. I have used 5-30 in my Duratech with no problems at all.

There is very little difference. He won't even notice it at the gas pump. That motorcraft 5w20 oil is such a good deal, I used to buy it all the time when I had the f150.

Use either grade and don't worry about it.

The 2000 I believe calls for 5-30 as my 99 does. My current fill is PP5-30 but I have redline waiting for the next change.

Sure. Let him use the 5-30. Like mentioned, there is no big difference.
You may mention to him that 5-20s are very well designed and built.

Originally Posted By: Gunatics_Adler
Being an older man, he really hates how thin 5w20 is, especially in the summer.
I notice that a lot of "older men" seem to think 5W-20 is "too thin". I suppose if they've been used to using 10W-40 or 20W-50 molasses in their '60s and '70s engines they WOULD think that. Doesn't make it true, though.

Having said that, your da should have no issues using 5W-30 if it makes him feel better.

BTW, I meant no disrespect to your father...I'm 53 and grew up with thick oils, but times (and oils & engines) have changed.

If 5W-30 makes him feel better, for whatever reasoning, then he should use it.

Realistically, there isn't much of a difference.

Originally Posted By: SevenBizzos
If 5W-30 makes him feel better, for whatever reasoning, then he should use it.

Realistically, there isn't much of a difference.

Just a HTHS of 3.0 - 3.1 instead of 2.6. That's fairly big difference in my book.

I have used both 5w20 and 5w30 in my 1998 4.6 f150 and really i see or feel no difference, so either one its good.What ever makes him feel better.

Use a quality dino 5w30. After the first thousand miles he will have a thick 5w20.

They've been using 20wt in the winter since forever so I'm sure you shouldn't have to much trouble convincing him to stick with it at least until the late spring.
In the summer if you must go with a 30wt, as suggested go with Castrol Edge 5W-30, it's a 5W-20 in all but name.

5w30 is what the Triton motors in the trucks originally called for (such as my '97 and '99 F150's), with the switch to 5w20 in the early 2000's. I've run 5w20, 5w30, and 5w40 in these motors and all work, though I'd stay away from the 5w40 based on the decrease in fuel mileage (was over 5%).

Run 5w30 with no worries, and I'd say the same about the 5w20 too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back