Walmart's ATF +4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking to change the atf in my jeeps automatic soon, and was wondering if walmarts atf+4 is any good? Its the only other stuff I've found besides the factory stuff and the Castrol and Valvoline stuff that Autozone sells. I was gonna get the valvoline stuff, but its 5.50 something at the zone,but the walmart stuff is only 3.40 or 3.50 something a quart. I'm just a little leary on trying it after hearing the problems they had with their gear oil actually meeting specs.

I think this same question gets posted on average about every 6 weeks. Do a search and you'll find your answer multiple times.

Originally Posted By: afoulk
I'm looking to change the atf in my jeeps automatic soon, and was wondering if walmarts atf+4 is any good? Its the only other stuff I've found besides the factory stuff and the Castrol and Valvoline stuff that Autozone sells. I was gonna get the valvoline stuff, but its 5.50 something at the zone,but the walmart stuff is only 3.40 or 3.50 something a quart. I'm just a little leary on trying it after hearing the problems they had with their gear oil actually meeting specs.

If you are leary about it don't buy it, buy something else you have more confidence in. I would recommend Red Line C+ but that is more expensive then the Valvoline

you will not be "risking a $2,500 by saving $20". if a fluid meets a spec, it meets the spec.

I changed the atf in my stratus with the Valvoline atf+4 in the blue bottle. I paid maybe a little over $30 I cant remember, but I recommend it. It seems to work fine.

and why is everyone so uptight about people not using the search function? If someone asks a question and you know the answer, just answer it.

Considering the search function dont work very well, i dont blame him. I find more stuff on bitog using the google search. To the point, if it meets the spec, it will be a decent fluid. I generally try to use name brands becuase they are usually a little more stout than store brands. You can use it and will not have a problem.

The licensing specs for ATF+4 require that no matter who makes or blends the stuff, it all has to be made with the same additive package from Lubrizol and the same base oil. Thus, no matter what name is on the label, whether it's Wal-Mart or Valvoline or Pennzoil, if it's a licensed blend (which SuperTech at Wal-Mart is) the fluid in the bottle is chemically the same. ATF+4 is the only ATF where that is true.

Originally Posted By: G-MAN
The licensing specs for ATF+4 require that no matter who makes or blends the stuff, it all has to be made with the same additive package from Lubrizol and the same base oil. Thus, no matter what name is on the label, whether it's Wal-Mart or Valvoline or Pennzoil, if it's a licensed blend (which SuperTech at Wal-Mart is) the fluid in the bottle is chemically the same. ATF+4 is the only ATF where that is true.

Exactly!

I have personally used that in my Jeep WJ and never had any problems.

Thanks guys. I've used the search feature numerous times on here, and I never seem to find what I'm looking for. I was just curious about this stuff because #1, money is a little tight right now with christmas coming up, and #2, if this stuff is just as good as the Valvoline, Castrol, or Mopar stuff, I cant see spending the extra money for the name brand stuff when I can get this cheaper instead. I didn't wanna go with a fluid thats not very good as I do like to take it offroading pretty much, so it does spend a good bit of time with the torque converter unlocked. I'm sure it takes a beating in that respect.

afoulk,

Study this site for more information. It has been posted here before, but like you said, searching can sometimes be troublesome:

Center For Quality Assurance: http://www.centerforqa.com/home.html

When I talked to the folks there, they said that there CAN be very slight differences in the actual chemistry of ATF +4 produced by different blenders, but that that this was a moot point and all the licensed products met (or "should meet") their specifications.

There's never a guarantee that ANY manufacturer will not make a mistake, though (bad batch). I suppose this would risk them losing their license.

I would guess that, like batteries, oil filters, etc., there are only a handful of ATF+4 blenders. It would be interesting to know who blends for Walmart. Can we tell by the bottle design?

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
When I talked to the folks there, they said that there CAN be very slight differences in the actual chemistry of ATF +4 produced by different blenders, but that that this was a moot point and all the licensed products met (or "should meet") their specifications.

I would guess that, like batteries, oil filters, etc., there are only a handful of ATF+4 blenders. It would be interesting to know who blends for Walmart. Can we tell by the bottle design?

WPP is a licensed ATF+4 blender and they make the SuperTech ATF+4 for Wal-Mart.

As for chemistry, the only difference is in the base oil. It has to be Group III, but there are three approved suppliers, so one blender may use base oil from A and another may use base oil from B. Where there can be no deviance is in the additive package. There is only one approved ATF+4 additive package and it's made by Lubrizol. Every licensed blend has to use it.

It has been great in our '96 Grand Cherokee for 28K miles. As mentioned it is licensed ATF+4. Use it with confidence.

Andrew S.

well, thanks guys, I think I'm gonna give the stuff a shot. Hopefully they still have it in stock, they were running low when I found it.

I picked up 7qts of the stuff at walmart tonight. thats all they had on the shelf. Now all I need is a filter kit. Do you guys recommend one over the other? I think Autozones was only $15 or so, but wasn't sure if that was any good. I don't want one of those [censored] cork gaskets either.

Originally Posted By: crinkles
you will not be "risking a $2,500 by saving $20". if a fluid meets a spec, it meets the spec.

If you feel lucky.

The peace of mind of knowing that my transmission was not filled with wal*mart fluid would be worth at least $20.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: afoulk
I picked up 7qts of the stuff at walmart tonight. thats all they had on the shelf. Now all I need is a filter kit. Do you guys recommend one over the other? I think Autozones was only $15 or so, but wasn't sure if that was any good. I don't want one of those [censored] cork gaskets either.

I bought my filter from autozone and it came with a rubber gasket

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back