75W140 gear oil too heavy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 4 quarts of Amsoil Severe Gear 75W140 and was thinking about swapping it into my stock 98 Jeep grand Cherokee Dana 30 front and Dana 35 rear. I typically put 80w90 gear lube in the axles and wanted to know if this 75w140 would be too thick for them here in chicago?

Well it is a 75w syn oil so I would say not to thick .It may be thicker than necessary though. Differentials like thicker oil.

I would use it, no worries, if anything you'll get more protection for everything. Being a synthetic, your even better off.

Should work great for ya. It may cost you a little gas mileage when its up to temp.

Hi,
wn1998 - I would think very carefully about using such a heavy viscosity diff lubricant especially in a cold ambient condition

I would certainly not go outside the Manufacturer's specification!

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
wn1998 - I would think very carefully about using such a heavy viscosity diff lubricant especially in a cold ambient condition

I would certainly not go outside the Manufacturer's specification!

I agree with Doug. The 75W-140 is pretty heavy, especially for the Dana 30.

Originally Posted By: wgtoys
Have any friends with Fords? Many Ford vehicles spec 75W-140 for the rear axle.

This ain't a Ford.

Originally Posted By: wn1998
I have 4 quarts of Amsoil Severe Gear 75W140 and was thinking about swapping it into my stock 98 Jeep grand Cherokee Dana 30 front and Dana 35 rear. I typically put 80w90 gear lube in the axles and wanted to know if this 75w140 would be too thick for them here in chicago?

Does your Jeep have the Quadra Drive?

I used Redline 75W-140 and Amsoil 75W-140 for many years in Dana 30's. Amsoil recommends 75W-90 or 75W-110 for the standard diffs. I can't necessarily recommend a viscosity outside what Jeep says, but they do recommend 75W-140 for the Quadra Trac & Vari-Lok. You are on your own, but a synthetic 75W-140 will not cause an 80W-90 differential to explode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back