Newbie question here:

Comparing the two Products sheets for

Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle vs Valvoline Maxlife

Valvoline vs Castrol
Based on the 40 deg CSt of 35.1 vs 36.6
Based on the 100 deg CSt 7.25 vs 8.0
Viscosity Index 177 vs 200
Brookfield Viscosity 12,500 vs 13,000

Strictly based on numbers is one better than the other?
Is there some place on this website that shows the meaning of each term? Like is a lower number at 40/100 deg Cst mean lower viscosity. Is a higher Brookfield number mean better resistance to shearing?

The answer I am looking for is strictly an academic one.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

You may want to search for each measurement/definition, but generally, the higher the VI #, the more stable the oil is under varying temperatures. The higher the BV #, the more resistant to shear (I believe?). Regardless of the #'s either one might be better suited for your equipment and usage.

Joel

There is no academic answer to your question.

Flip a coin. Either will work well.

Not sure I can agree to higher VI = more stable under varying temp. I though it was if no VII is added.

I do know that Maxlife ATF is a Group III according to Valvoline, not sure about Castrol.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Not sure I can agree to higher VI = more stable under varying temp. I though it was if no VII is added.

I do know that Maxlife ATF is a Group III according to Valvoline, not sure about Castrol.

I thought a higher VI means the fluid can operate in a wider range of temperatures. Relatively thinner when its cold and thicker when hot... to another fluid that has a lower VI.

Originally Posted By: sunfire
I thought a higher VI means the fluid can operate in a wider range of temperatures. Relatively thinner when its cold and thicker when hot... to another fluid that has a lower VI.

Yes, but it doesn't mention how long will this behavior last.

A fluid that quickly shear will be no better than another even if it has higher VI.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear

Based on those numbers, I would think castrol is also Group III as its pour point is -46C which would typically consistent with a Group III type.

They both should be type III base stocks.
In order to meet the specs they advertise they have to.

Both are quality fluids. I am currently running Maxlife in my F-150 as of this past weekend. It is performing VERY well. I have to take a look at tach to see when it shifts as I cannot feel it anymore.

I have yet to hear anything bad about any name brand or certified ATF when used in the application it is designed.

I'm useing the castrol import in my honda element and I like it a lot. In fact I think I like it better than amsoil atf! But I only have about 1500 miles on two changes or 75% castrol import and maybe 20% amsoil and maybe 5% z1. I have mutant fluid in there now and I am going to do one more drain and fill of castrol at my next oil change.

Thanks for that Ryland! I'm planning on doing a drain, filter and refill tomorrow. I've just seen more people using Valvoline Maxlife over Castrol but it seems the Castrol has slightly better specs.

Coincidentally, I was planning on putting Amsoil in as well but I can't find a local rep here in NY for pick up so shipping of $16 on top of $9 per quart just wasn't worth it for me when Valvoline and Castrol are all over the place in local auto parts stores.

If you remember, please post back at a future point when you do another drain and refill.

I'm thinking the Maxlife is probably every bit as good as the Castrol Import, from the specs and from their claim that it meets Dex IV specs. Maxlife can probably be a lot cheaper since walmart sells it by the gallon for about equivalent of 3.62 qt. and only a few cents more for the qt. bottles.

I think the difference is Maxlife is thicker by design and maybe geared more toward high mileage transmissions and includes domestics, while the Castrol might work better in ATs that have lower mileage or that shift good already.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back