Oil Filter Relocation Kit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey I just got my relocation kit in the mail for my 03 is300. The instructions say to use teflon tape on almost all of the threaded items. Would this be ok, or is there something better that I can use in place of teflon?

Done right, the tape is foolproof.
You won't get any in passages like a brush on paste may do.
But all teflon tapes are not the same!
Some are very thin and substandard - and who knows what they are made of, just because they are white.
Get a name brand that states it will take heat and oil contact!

Teflon paste that is oil and heat rated is very good, but watch out for getting in in passages.

I used teflon tape with no problem..hope you didn't get the trans dapt kit, their hoses are garbage. Went through 2 sets they lasted me about a year per set...

I got the Perma Cool kit. Any issue with the hoses they send out? Should I make a stop by O'reily and get a better set of hoses?

Originally Posted By: Rtstrider
I got the Perma Cool kit. Any issue with the hoses they send out? Should I make a stop by O'reily and get a better set of hoses?

I have the perma cool kit on my transmission with no problems, just the TD hoses on my oil filter that gave me problems..

Last edited:
Get the teflon tape for gasfitters (kind of a yellow color rather than white).

It's two or three times as costly, but it's about 5 times as thick and does a better job for this purpose. The filter mount and hose nipple threads are really rough and have a ton of clearance to make up with the tape.

Occasionally I have seen several thicknesses of PTFE tape on the shelf at a harware store or big box. Having used several thicknesses of PTFE tape on NPT fittings on hydraulic systems for off-highway equipment (3000-6000PSI) with good results, I'm not ready to say there is a need to be too picky about it.

I think the key is to try to lay 2-4 layers of tape (depending on thickness) smoothly and evenly one-on-another, clockwise around the threads (as the open end of the male fitting is toward you).

It's OK if the fittings are not completely dry of oil. Tighten slowly and smoothly, and be aware that you may have to come back and tighten the joint once more.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Done right, the tape is foolproof.
You won't get any in passages like a brush on paste may do.

A lot of the problem comes when the fittings are assembled, then taken apart and then reassembled.
That's when the tape (or paste) gets into the oil passages and causes a problem. The threads need to be perfectly clean.

I would not use use Teflon tape I would use locktite blue and let everything cure over night before I installed anything. If I was going to use teflon tape I would finger tighten the fitting into place and mark the threads with my fingers and only put the tape on the last thread or two that ws actual in in the other portion of the part this way no teflon tape is ever getting any where near the flow of oil! People always use too much and go too far down the threads!A dab of RTV ont he last few threads also works great!

Originally Posted By: stang5
Originally Posted By: Rtstrider

I have the perma cool kit on my transmission with no problems, just the TD hoses on my oil filter that gave me problems..

I used the Perma Cool kit hoses on one vehicle and they were shot in about 3 years. I used a Perma Cool adapter but Aeroquip braided lines on my current truck and they're still leak free after 7 years.

The Perma Cool hose clamp and barb type hoses assemblies just aren't durable enough IMO.

I'd buy aircraft style braided hoses or if you want to save a few bucks go to a parts store or hydraulic shop that can make you up some hoses with crimped fittings and SAE type 100R6 ( or better ) hose. You won't regret it.

Last edited:
the barb hose fittings are junk and not to be trusted. i wouldn't use teflon tape unless you are well experienced with it. some pipe joint compound or thread sealer may be better suited for this purpose. i also suggest using aeroquip braided stainless lines. i've used 37 degree jic fittings with hydraulic hose on heavy equipment with good long lasting reliability.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
i stopped using teflon tape and just but it in liquid form. a lot easier to apply i find, just like the loctite in the chapstick tubes.

+1 on all accounts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back