VW 501, 503, 505 , etc. etc. etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know where I can find out what all of these, plus all of the others actually say/mean?

What about all of the ACEA and API ratings as well.

I would really like to learn exactly what all of the different certs. mean.

Thanks.
smile.gif

You can find 503.00 and 505.00 rated oil at auto parts stores. for 505.01 you have to buy at the dealership or online. It does matter for warranty issues. Keep receipts. My dad is having all oil changes performed by the dealer on his PD TDI just "in case".

quote:

the dealer just dumped Crapoil Syntec 5w30 in everything with a turbo

Are you sure it wasn't Syntec 5w-40 as by the VW specs?
What's wrong with Castrol Syntec 5w-30 to be called Crapoil?
rolleyes.gif

It actually will perform not worse than the PAO based synthetic during the 5-8K mile intervals.
It's not designed to go much longer. The PAO/Ester based blends do.
Yes it's not an outstanding value since it carries the same price tag as GC.
But why in the world is he calling it Crapoil?

On a lighter note, all those numbers mean VW owners have to worry about too much.
banghead.gif

But when I had my TDI, the dealer just dumped Crapoil Syntec 5w30 in everything with a turbo and GTX 5w30 in non-turbo cars.

I guess all those numbers mean to use some sort of Castrol 5w30.
lol.gif

Last I checked, Mobil 1 was the only PAO/Ester based oil that was priced as low as the group III oils because they're the LARGEST COMPANY IN THE WORLD and have the ability to produce it a lower rate because of volume. I keep hearing how Castrol is priced the same, but it's not. Red Line and all the rest are way up there!

Isaac

quote:

Last I checked, Mobil 1 was the only PAO/Ester based oil that was priced as low as the group III oils because they're the LARGEST COMPANY IN THE WORLD and have the ability to produce it a lower rate because of volume. I keep hearing how Castrol is priced the same, but it's not.

Go to your local AutoZone and look for Castrol Syntec 0w-30 aka GC - a PAO/Ester based oil that is imported from Germany.
It goes on sale pretty regularly.
Actually it is on sale right now at $3.99 qt.
If you need more info go to this board's GC specific forum called "GC & Euro/Import Oils"

I feel that VW is basically attempting to fix some current
engine issues like sludging in certain models by changing
the oil spec rather than directly addressing the poor
engine design and low sump capacity in these engines

Heck GM did fixed engine problems by changing the oil
spec to synthetic in the Vette back in '92. Didn't have to
redesign anything.

VW is trying to do the same IMHO. I doubt they will be as
successful as GM was though.
Craig

Craig,
They didn't have to change the spec...they just had to get the dealers and customer to use the right f'in oil! Poor engine design...my arse! VW/Audi makes some of the best engines in the world! They just screwed up on the communication/customer service. I blame VWoA and AoA. They wanted to offer free dealer service as a part of their warranties and then either cheaped out or didn't educate/enforce upon their dealers on what was required.

Jeff got it right. Those sludge issues were only a NA phenomenon. Since '96, when I bought my Audi, I knew the US dealer wanted to use the wrong oil out of incompetence and disinterest.

I agree these engines are fine engines, I own one in fact, a 01
1.8T Beetle. Never a mechanical problem with the engine, but
the auto trans imploded at 4K and needed replacement. The
engine computer has been a *** since new and the car towed
for various reasons about 5 times with only 14k on the clock.
This car has been the worst car for reliablility for us that we
have ever owned. BUT I'm not being a smart *** here as I
actually do like the engine. The rest of the car is another
issue. It would be a goner if my wife didn't like it so much.

You are correct in the dealer assesment regarding oil selection.
My dealer puts in bulk Valvolene 5W-30. Needless to say they
have never changed my oil.

My nephew with a spotless Passat 1,8T wagon, 35k, always synthetic at 6mo OCI, had the sludge issue (low oil pressure) on a trip and had to abandon the vehicle at a dealer as they would not fix it. The car was still under warranty. If it were not that his brother works for VW of America and he is an attorney the
car would still be sitting 2 states away.

I think in certain models the sump is at least a quart in capacity
shy of what it should be knowing these engines are quite hard
on oil. Less than 4 quarts in a highly sophisticated turbo engine
just is plain dumb. This is a design issue.

Car dealers in the United States are IMHO not walking hand in
hand with the manufacturers. Or the customers for that matter.
Craig

quote:

My nephew with a spotless Passat 1,8T wagon, 35k, always synthetic at 6mo OCI, had the sludge issue

It doesn't sound right.
What synthetic did he use?
Yes, the engine is hard on oil, but to sludge up at 35K miles with the 6 month OCI using a synthetic is highly suspicious.
There must be something else going on with his engine.

That is my reaction, as well, vad. Perhaps his PCV system is bad ...

With the 1.8 T, I am convinced that a 5k mi / 8k km OCI + dino + city driving = guaranteed sludge/coke, but I have been smugly assuming that I am sludge-proofing my Passat 1.8T wagon by using Mobil 1 0W-40 on a 3k mi / 5k km OCI, despite congested suburban driving. Your nephew's tale of woe is a bit disconcerting, because every other sludge story I have heard involved either dino oil or excessive OCIs.

I had a 1998 Passat 1.8T and had no sign of sludging in 97K miles of ownership. My 1998 manual didn't include any mention of VW 502 00, and the dealer put in conventional (dino) oil, including oils up to as thick as 15w40, at 5k intervals. Perhaps I was just lucky, but I think a 5k interval with 0w40 Mobil1 should be just fine.

Vad,

On the 5/30 vs. 5/40 above. Yes, you are absolutely correct. The dealer should have been using a CH-4 rated oil. But the service manager assured me there was no such thing as a 5w40 in the VW parts supply system. One of the many lies that dealer spewed my way during ownership of that car. (I could go on, but I do not mean to incite another VW riot, here.)

Long-story-short, the dealer didn't want to pay the additional $$ for 5w40 during those days of 2/24 free basic maintenance. For all I know, they used GTX!!! I made a big stink one day & had the parts guy input the proper 5/40 part number and insisted they change the oil with the proper fluid. Took them a week to get the 5/40 Syntec ordered in. I kinda did this out of spite, due to the overall poor care the dealer provided, as I usually drained their oil as soon as I got home & dumped in Delvac 1 or Rotella syn. 5/40 (which ever was on sale at the time). I looked at those 3 ‘free’ oil change as more like a free filter and oil flush.
grin.gif

The bottom line is that VWs needs to stop spec'ing 100 different oils for 4 or 5 engine designs. After all, one would think that in 2005, German Engineering could design an engine to use SM 5w30 (gas) or CH-4 5w40 (diesle).

Imagine that, just 2 oil spec’s!

Jene dummen Amerikaner stellen nie aus unseren überlegenen Ölspezifikationen dar. Es ist unsere entscheidende Rückzahlung für das Verlieren von WWII.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back